New mix - But what style to go with?

stevetoombs

Hi all,

Been a while since I wrote anything on here, so here goes.

I'm going to be doing a new mix (about time) but am unsure what route to go down, my usual style is deep / tech house but I'm feeling a little love for a bit of prog / techno too. Shall I do both or just one of the above?

Also, got my new Facebook up and running and would really appreciate some feedback on it?

http://www.facebook.com/DJSteveToombs

It has content from my set in Ibiza and all of my other mixes too.

Steve

Ditch the genres...they pull creative flow into retrograde.

The most lasting, memorable mixes are those that play to an audience of people willing to be educated; coming from a place of not knowing.

Play it all - techno, house, soul, funk, disco, reggae, trip hop, be bop, blah.

Rant over.

Ditch the genres...they pull creative flow into retrograde.

The most lasting, memorable mixes are those that play to an audience of people willing to be educated; coming from a place of not knowing.

Play it all - techno, house, soul, funk, disco, reggae, trip hop, be bop, blah.

Rant over.

More or less agree here. I'm not dead against genre labels personally, but when it comes to DJing, it's less about boxes, labels and pigeon-holes and much more specifically about the mood(s) you want to create. A number of tracks across a number of genres can come together to create a similar mood, depending how far you cast your net.

It's always the DJs call though. Don't ask anyone else.

To add - being 'upfront' doesn't make for a better DJ. Just because something was released yesterday, it doesn't have superiority over stuff that was released a decade ago.

Real music is timeless and mixes are much more fun to listen to if they respect a lineage (look backwards) as well as making the effort to tap into new trends.

I got really cross with all the yawnsome minimal heads a few years ago that suddenly declared US house to be over. The very same people are all over it enjoying a revival now. :rolleyes:

(rant really over now :lol:)

Massively agree! I still drop the occasional classic like 'Xpander' in whenever I can, still feels as fresh as it was when it was first released.

Yeah, although I'm not knocking minimal, it all went a bit boring for me when all you seemed to hear from many DJs was minimal, don't get me wrong, it definitely has it's place and fan base, just not my bag really. But the people banging on I agree were definitely yawnsome.

It's nice to have a constructive convo anyway :)

play a set with some donka donk and then chuck some yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr then mix in some deep gurn face jackin dong spunkin tribal jizzin fanny smakin detroit.
what do you reckon?/

[video=youtube;8aM92dKlNTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aM92dKlNTc&feature=related[/video]

Donk house? :lol:

But seriously, do whatever feels right for you. Tracks should flow in to each other. If that means crossing genre boundaries for the perfect sound, do it. After witnessing Carl Cox drop a trance track half way through one of his sets, and the crowd going nuts to it, it really is possible to play anything that flows.

Back