Mykonos

Chris Main

not sure if I’ve posted this in correct place, but has anyone been and recommend going to Mykonos? I’ve priced it up for just over a week at decent price and could visit Santornini too as am travelling with GF?

What prices and crowd like? Think there’s only 1 or 2 decent clubs? And does it get crowded as Ibiza in July / Aug?

I've been to both mykonos as well as santorini.

it's different to ibiza, but both those islands have a few things that might attract you.

mykonos has chora, its town, which I have to admit is one of the prettiest towns I've seen in my whole life. it's like dalt vila, but even more beautiful. I was honestly wowed. same as calle de la virgen in ibiza, mykonos also has a big gay ratio generally which gives the island a flamboyant touch. then it also has a few clubs - cavo paradiso and now the new in-place, scorpios (that's where all the trendy folk go I'm told). the island as such is very bare and the beaches are so-so. so as an island itself, mykonos is really NOTHING compared to ibiza with its beaches and evergreen forests etc.

santorini has almost no nightlife, but it's one of those places you have to see once in your life because it's simply different to anything you've seen before.

resuming, do a 7-10 day trip in total to see both islands (fly to mykonos, stay a few days, ferry over to santorini and fly back home from there). you'll love it because you'll see a lot of different stuff, you get to do clubbing and sightseeing. but it's not ibiza and thus don't expect that.

Cheers for info and quick reply Stivi, so had island got plenty of bars n restaurants n that ? Plus is it like ibiza in the sense that if you want a night out you can have one, but if you don’t you can just chill out and go to quiet beach etc?

mykonos is more similar to ibiza with bars and nightlife opportunities. there‘s less of that on santorini

not sure if I’ve posted this in correct place, but has anyone been and recommend going to Mykonos? I’ve priced it up for just over a week at decent price and could visit Santornini too as am travelling with GF?

What prices and crowd like? Think there’s only 1 or 2 decent clubs? And does it get crowded as Ibiza in July / Aug?
I've been to both Mykonos and Santorini. As Stivi said Santorini is nice to look at, amazing views from the Fira (capital) where the town is built into the side of the island. You will be bored if you're looking for nightlife, and the rest of the island is not that nice at all....black volcanic sand and very quiet. Santorini is worth a look for one or 2 days only, think romantic (expensive) restaurants overlooking the sea and a couple of bars.

Mykonos on the other hand is really nice. In my top 3 destinations in Europe. The clubbing scene is very much limited to July and August though, it really drops off quickly in September, and June is quiet too. The beach clubs are really lively in July and August though, people dancing on tables etc, Cavo Paradiso gets big names all through these 2 months and then local dj's for the rest of the summer. There are 3, maybe 4 big clubs on the island...Paradise beach club is pretty massive, but was dead in September.

We absolutely loved Mykonos though, the town is amazing with all little cobbled alleyways and bars/restaurants, Little Venice is nice where you sit right next to the sea. Word of warning, it is bloody expensive, borderline Ibiza prices. It's all expensive designer boutiques and jet set crowd, so prepare for that. At Scorpio's we saw that there were bottles of champagne on the menu for 5 figures, absolutely ridiculous (I stole that menu to show people at home!).

As a curveball if you want nightlife I would swerve Santorini and go to Ios (an easy boat trip). That was proper lively, a slightly younger less classy Mykonos.....but much better nightlife. Full of travellers island hoping, no package holidays (as no airport), no families really....lots of Aussies and Americans. I would say the male to female ratio was 25/75 in favour of the ladies, so great is you're a single man! ;-)

Hope this all helps, if you want any more information just ask

Mykonos was always one of the capitals in Europe for the gay scene, lot of years now, few dj's posting about residencies recently, Damian Lazarus/Tale of Us (I think) - I am intrigued in visiting but not just yet

I'm sure it wont be hard....or long before the pilly mafia muscle in on a patch

I'm sure if it could be done, it would have been done already. Plenty of Brits go to Greece to party and so there would be loads of money to be made. I read a story where some tourist had the police called on them just for mentioning narcs in a bar... I suspect there's less tolerance for narcs in Greece and the punishments are greater.

I'm sure if it could be done, it would have been done already. Plenty of Brits go to Greece to party and so there would be loads of money to be made. I read a story where some tourist had the police called on them just for mentioning narcs in a bar... I suspect there's less tolerance for narcs in Greece and the punishments are greater.
Much stricter on this sort of thing in Greece. I certainly wasn't offered anything at all for the whole time I was there....not saying it's not available though it you ask around

Strange how they have a tough stance on narcotics but less of a grip on the arms dealers that have used the region with impudence and relative impunity ?

That may have changed in the past few years with the geo-political situation and increased world superpower attention to the areas southwest and further out to the east.

Funny old world isn’t it ?‍♂️

As always, money talks I suppose.

A
Malta the mafioso/laundering powerhouse now according to Simon Reeve BBC programme, very interesting watch..

Ah nice one, I’ll try and catch it on iplayer when I get back home.

Funnily enough I have a few Maltese lads in my crew and we refer to them as the Maltese mafia ?

Or plastic Libyans if we are looking for an easy bite ?

I was thinking about doing Mykonos for a few days in mid September after Ibiza but the flight is like 300 Euro return from Barca which is crazy. Hotels are OKAY at 100 EUR a day

I was thinking about doing Mykonos for a few days in mid September after Ibiza but the flight is like 300 Euro return from Barca which is crazy. Hotels are OKAY at 100 EUR a day
I really like Mykonos, it has been a while since I went, but definitely worth visit. I went in October though so it was very chilled.

Like Ibiza just a case of staying out of the rip-off places and avoiding peak Season when prices are off the charts. Mykonos town especially is really very pretty. I'm sure I'd get fed up with the VIP takeover bid if I went now. High Season air fares there from UK were/are very high this year.

There’s a new club called void ( lazarus black coffee tale of us maceo gerber capriati are playing there this summer )

If you want to go book in advance your accomodation on booking.com ( 100€/day ) and go there last week of july or first of august

Back