My first time in Ibiza!!!

kate2014

Hi everyone, I'm Kate and I'd like to share my story about how me and my friend 'did' Ibiza in 3 nights! This was back in July/August 2011 so forgive me if I'm a little hazy on the details. The reason I want to share is because I get a lot of people asking me if I felt a weekend is enough in Ibiza... My answer is YES! It is! But I wish I'd stayed longer of course! I can't wait to return this September for 6 nights to really make the most of my time there.

Friday 29th July

I was us and ready at 4, so excited and bleary eyed. Me and my friend J were off to Manchester airport to catch our 6.20am flight to IBIZA. It was my first time but about the 17th time for J who used to work and live there in the 90s/2000s as a performer at Eden and for Manumission nights. I was 20 and J was about 33. She is my sister-in-law and after a few drinks at a family gathering we decided spur of the moment, two weeks prior, to book our flights and accommodation for a mad weekend.

We checked in and made our way to the bar (as you do) and ordered our first drink of the holiday. Two rather strong Tequila Sunrises! As our flight was called we excitedly sunk our drinks and made our way to the gate.

The flight was over quickly as the atmosphere was buzzing amongst passengers sharing with others their plans for their stay. We had planned (thanks to Spotlight!) where we would be at what time but didn't buy tickets in advance because you never know what's going to happen!

We touched down to cheers and woops. We were actually here! After disembarking we headed to the carousel to find our bags that appeared instantly. They knew we were keen! So we hauled them off and made our way out of the building where the mid-summer heat hit us. We were given some flyers for Amnesia which included stickers that I immediately slapped on my suitcase. Posters all around us told us some of the events on the island; David Guetta at Pacha, Judge Jules at Eden etc.

We didn't book any transfers because J knew about the regular bus that took passengers directly to San Antonio. We could have got a taxi for about 30E but luckily the bus was there upon our arrival just to the right of the exit. We hopped on and asked for two tickets in rusty Spanish.

The bus ride is quite pleasant! For about 3E you get a mini tour of the island. I would definitely recommend the bus (I think it was bus number 9, Ibiza like to keep it simple!). As we approached the bay it became apparent that it was the height of summer. The roads, beach and bars were packed! We hopped off the bus near the famous Egg and tried to locate our hostel. The sea front was buzzing, full of people who were recovering from the night before, just arriving wide eyed with their suitcases like us or on their way back home. J took me on a tour of the west end pointing out familiar bars on the strip, assuring me our hostel was around here somewhere! With the help of a friendly local we found it. Hostel Cervantes. One of the only ones in the area to have any space last minute...at a cheap price too! 80E for 3 nights!

We checked in and made our way up a few flights of stairs. The room was tiny and basic but it would do. After all we weren't planning on spending much time there! It was around 2pm local time now and the sun beamed down on to our balcony where we took a moment to rest.

We locked up and went straight across the road to the mini supermarket to stock up on supplies. We bought a litre of vodka with 6 red bulls strapped to it, a bottle of tequila, water and some Pringles for fuel. After dumping them in our room (which we then realised didn't have a mini fridge nor aircon! Seriously these are two room essentials that I now will never do without on holiday) we went out to find some cheap grub and to buy some tickets for the evening.

The good thing about going with someone who knows pretty much everything about Ibiza is you know little things that most first timers don't. We walked along the harbour near the fountains and got as many free wristbands for club entry as we could. We then stopped off at J's old friends restaurant who gave us an excellent pasta dish and some very strong cocktails on the house. We knew to shop around for our club tickets and chatted with one of her old boss' who ran one of the main ticket stalls at the bottom of the west end about who would be playing at which pre-party that night. He then gave us half price tickets for Supermartxe at Privilege that night (20E!) and told us to come to his bar before we went for some drinks.

We planned on going Privilege that night (one thing to tick off the list!) and now we were actually going! To the biggest club in the world on our first night in Ibiza. What a way to start the weekend!

At around 8pm we made our way down to Cafe Mambo. The rocky beach was filled with groups of people kick starting their night with shop bought drinks waiting for one of the most magical sights on the planet. We headed in to Cafe Mambo and bought some drinks with some shots as no one other than Pete Tong took to the decks! He was playing their before his All Gone Pete Tong night at Pacha. So as we sipped our drinks we watched the sun go down to clapping and cheers. It was amazing and I urge you to go to watch it at least once during your stay.

Darkness fell and the party started! At around 10pm we made our way back to the hotel to change in to something more dressy and headed on to the west end. Our hostel was a 5 minute walk from the strip in a quiet location. I'd consider staying around that area again, not on the strip but slightly set back.

I can't really remember the names of the bars but I think we went to a Scottish bar first after being enticed by a 2 shots 2 cocktails 2 JD and cokes and a jug of vodka red bull for 25E. Can't say fairer than that!
We sank them whilst making friends with a group of young lads who were also there for the first time. I can't remember where they were from but they said they had one night left and hadn't been to any of the clubs just the bars in the West End every night. I really couldn't understand why you'd do that! You're in Ibiza!!

Me and J were feeling pretty drunk at this point and made our way down to the Privilege party bus that left every hour on the hour outside Plastik near the Egg. Just show your club ticket and you get a free lift saving you about 20E in taxi fares. Once on the bus it took about 20 minutes to get there as its between San An and Ibiza Town.

The queue was huge but went down quickly. After a quick check of our bags we went inside. IT'S ENORMOUS! I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place! We made our way down to the front as the "show" was about to start. If you've never been to a Supermartxe night, J said it was like Manumission on speed. There were drag queens singing Beyonce, models dancing, stripping and fire breathers doing their thing to pumping house music. We were having a great time except for the occasional sleazy European men trying to grind against you. Ergh. J and I then went over near the famous pool. It was really crammed round this area, partly because that's where the DJ booth was and partly because there was a naked woman splashing around in a giant martini glass! Above us people were tight rope walking and bungeeing over the crowd suspended on a BMX. We left the madness and went to get a drink from the bar. Two small drinks came in at about 30E but we weren't shocked. This is Ibiza after all. J needed a smoke so we went up to the dome and after several flights of stairs we made it up to the cool room full of people chilling out having a smoke and talking in a thousand different languages.

We had a wander round and dipped in and out of all the rooms playing different types of music, all of which were full. There's even a shop in there! We stayed until around 4am and decided to head back on the bus which left on the hour. We could have stayed longer but by that point we were fed up of being crushed and the drink was wearing off.

We somehow found our way back to our hostel meandering through the west end which was still in full flow and crashed out. What a great first night.

Last edited:
Saturday 30th July

We awoke bleary eyed to the sound of furniture being moved. Well that's what we thought! It was thundering outside and huge tropical raindrops were bouncing off the worn leathery chairs on our balcony. Not something I'd expect to see! It was humid and sticky in our tiny room which even a shower wouldn't shift. The hangover wasn't too bad. I always think there's some one out there that's feeling rougher than you. It was around 11am so we got up and went to find somewhere thy did a decent bacon butty. To our surprise there was one across the street from us and it was delicious. Orange juice and paracetamol cleared the majority of my headache but J was feeling much worse than me!

The skies cleared and we went to the beach outside Eden and Es Paradis. Within two seconds of setting our bags down the reps swarmed like flies around us asking what we were doing that night. We joked with them and kindly told them we weren't interested because we knew our destination already. Amnesia!

After several slices of watermelon from the fruit guys who come on to the beach and an hour or two catching some rays, we packed up our towels and went to buy some tickets. The cheapest we found was 30E for the Matinee night if we got there before 2am. With our tickets secure we wandered around the shops buying a few t-shirts and tacky momentos along with some refreshing slushes. You can't beat a slush after a night out! It was around 5pm when we found a great Chinese place for some late lunch/early dinner which I can't remember the name of but it was around the harbour area and was very cheap. Including a few drinks each the bill came to about 50E.

After a short nap we woke up and started to get ready. We put on some casual clothes and found a bar for some cocktails. The best thing to do before you head off to a club is find a cheap bar and get wasted. You won't have to buy many drinks in the clubs later which saves you hundreds of Euros. At around 11pm, we bar hopped along the West End and went in bars such as Play2, Soul City and a sports bar where we had water pistols full of sambuca sprayed in our mouths! We went to the same place as yesterday to catch our Amnesia bus and off we went at around 1am.

Last edited:
Thanks deepseadiver!

As we approached Amnesia I felt butterflies. I'd always dreamed of being blasted by the ice cannons since watching Kevin and Perry Go Large when it first came out and repeatedly ever since. Now it was about to come true! Feeling pretty drunk we walked round the back of the club past the big red Amnesia bus and the inflatable Matinee signs on the roof. We entered quickly (nobody's mirrors got offended by our puffy lack of sleep faces!) and walked down the corridor approaching the thumping music.

Even though it was around 1am, Amnesia was packed! We made our way round to the bar under the VIP balcony and got two drinks. Handed over 30E and didn't get much change, so we made them last! It became apparent that lots of people were on drugs that night. One girl from Holland was hugging everybody including me and J. Others were totally immersed in the music gazing up in awe at the dancers on the podiums, the stilt walkers and the young boy who tumbled through the air P!nk style wrapped in fabric. They put on a great show! I can't remember who the DJs were but they played a great mix of classic and new house/trance tracks. The best moment of the night was when they played the Tiesto RHCP remix whilst we were stood on the speakers at the back of the room! If your in Amnesia get a spot on the box even if its just for a while. The toilets were big but dirty and the water flowing from the taps was salt water so you couldn't drink it. One girl from Birmingham who was slumped on the sinks was gasping for water and drinking it regardless. We had a great night in Amnesia and it was only until I got back home to England that I realised there was a whole other room bigger than the one we were in! Doh! We ended up leaving when the sun began to beam through the roof at around 6am but the party was still going strong. Shades on, we walked over the bridge through the mountain of discarded bottles and cans and made our way down to the bus stop where we hopped on a bus to San Antonio. If you're going to stay until 6am onwards then get the bus it's so much cheaper and was surprisingly fast.

Sunday 31st July

We woke up to beaming sunlight pouring in to our rooms. We had had literally 3 hours sleep but both felt fine after a huge drink of water. Our ears were pounding from the night before, echoing the sound of the best clubbing night of my life (still is to day I think!)
We left our crash pad and got some stodgy breakfast. Today was our last full day and night in Ibiza and we wanted to make the most of it. We headed over to the shops a few streets away to buy some t-shirts and gifts. Then we wandered around the beach bars to look at what was happening that night. The big night in San Antonio on a Sunday was Judgement Sundays at Eden. At 60E a ticket for a club we had already been to (I think I forgot to mention earlier that before Privilege on our first night, we went in to Eden for about 10 minutes as we had a free wristband) we wanted to try somewhere else. Plus we were running low on Euros so we thought we'd have a free night in Es Paradis! I think I brought with me around 400E for the 4 days we were there and 100E a day isn't really enough. When I return I will be taking at least 1000E for the week, when you're on holiday you don't want to be counting your Euros and budgeting. All those 15e drinks and 10e sun loungers build up! We found some reps with Es Paradis wristbands and went for a cocktail at a beach bar next to Ibiza Rocks bar. We decided to go over to Playa D'en Bossa for the day so got cheap 20E tickets for Space if we went in before 6pm. The guy at the bar also told us that if we came back just after sunset Judge Jules was doing his Eden pre-party at the Ibiza Rocks bar! It's a good idea to ask around about any pre parties that will go on that night, you will get to see the DJ you want often free of charge!

Last edited:
We jumped on the bus to Ibiza Town and then had to change to another bus to Playa D'en Bossa. The bus was filled with people from all around the world. We spoke to a group of American girls who were travelling the world and has just completed a tour of South America, a group of guys from Australia who had come to party for a month and some people from Sweden who had come to see the Swedish House Mafia on Monday at Pacha. The change at Ibiza Town was confusing but around 45 minutes later we were on Playa D'en Bossa beach basking in the mid-summer heat briefly interrupted by some guys trying to sell us pills. The bar at Jet Apartments was going wild for a Privilege party who were blasting Taio Cruz music and along the beach the guys from Pacha were banging drums and handing out free passes to their Sunday night. We spend about an hour on the beach and at around 5pm we headed over to Space. It was good to say that I've been in there but to be honest there is no point going in the afternoon as we were pretty much the only ones in there and they'd only opened the first room. After about an hour and a drink each we left to go back to San Antonio on the bus and a quick nap before our last night.

After a slush and a two hour sleep we got up and got ready with the help of some red bull. We had drank so much red bull over the last few days I felt weak and shaky if I didn't get a fix. I was like a heroine addict! You cannot help but drink red bull though, it's included in all the West End offers, in jaeger bombs and tastes better with vodka for club drinks!
We went to watch the sunset for one last time and decided to eat at the Kanya bar and had a great view of the sun. The food was great and everything was reasonably priced. I will definitely be returning this year. The sun sunk in to the horizon and everyone cheered. Then some performers and dancers came out who I think we're advertising a night at Eden for during the week.
We left and made our way round past Mambos and onwards towards The Ibiza Rocks bar just slightly down the road from Es Paradis. The drinks were cheap in here I think it was 5E for a WKD and a shot. Then outcome the fire breathers, jugglers and finally Judge Jules who played a 45 minute set. We even got a picture with him! What a top guy!
Then we went back in to the West End to get some drinks before heading to Es Paradis. We went in to Soul City and a few other places before going in. The club is white everywhere and is really well designed. There are different levels and the DJ booth is right at the top of one of them (hazy detail I was pretty drunk at this point) we had about 5 mojitos each which tasted amazing! They were only about 8E each too. At no point in the night did the place get full but there were quite a lot of people in there considering there wasn't anything going on! We called it a night at about 4am and stumbled through the West End wishing our feet would stop aching!

Enjoying the read a lot, been hoping for some more reviews to take me back and yours is doing so! Great way to kill some time at work:)

Monday 1st August

Today was our last day in Ibiza :(
I didn't want to leave and go back to reality but I knew I would be coming back soon. They say you leave a part of you in Ibiza and I was determined to come back and find it as soon as possible. They also say that Ibiza is a magical place with unique properties that will draw people back, those who feel a connection with the island will always return. If you're reading this then you are one of them! :) for those reading this who have never been, don't worry you'll know what I mean when you get here!

We packed up all our stuff which was easy to do as we had been living out of our cases anyway, checked out of the hotel but left our bags in a storage room as we could make the most of our afternoon as our flight wasn't until 8pm.

We went to the hotel next door to use their pool and lounged about in the intense heat. Today was definitely the hottest day we'd experienced so if you plan to travel on the July/August cusp then bring factor 30-50 because you will burn in this heat. After a stroll round the shops and a quick bite to eat it was time to get our bags and head over to the airport which we did by bus. I felt genuinely miserable that we were going home but all good things must end eventually! As we dragged our suitcases along the marina in San Antonio, we were stopped by a few reps who we'd spoken to over the weekend and there was a lump in my throat when I told them we were leaving!
We jumped on the bus and before you knew it we were back where our journey began, at Ibiza airport. I really wanted to buy some t-shirts but I'd run out of Euros so make sure you save some money because there's a lot of cool stuff to buy here! Our plane was delayed but finally we landed along with a plane full of people feeling the same as we did back in rainy Manchester!

What I wish I'd have known before going to Ibiza...

I thought I'd share some good tips with those of you who are planning to go Ibiza soon! In no particular order...

Get buses instead of taxis! You could save easily over 100E a week.

When booking your holiday, don't bother with an arranged transfer as the bus is about 4E or if you want a taxi it's about 30E to San An and even cheaper to Playa D'en Bossa.

Try and go to PDB at least once during your holiday even if its just for the afternoon. You will find its a bit more laid back and mature place - consider staying here if you're over 25.

Get as many free wristbands as you can! You might not see the biggest names but if you're on a budget it's a cheap way to experience all the clubs.

Can't comment on boat parties but they were sold out when we enquired so maybe consider it. You get free drinks (wine and beer) on board plus club entry afterwards (although it was a free night anyway!)

The Zoo Project looked fun to do, take some animal print clothes and some body paint to do your own make up and designs. I think people were charging 70E+ to get half your body painted (basically spray can + stencils and glitter so do it yourself!)

Get wasted in the West End before you go out.

See the stunning sunset most evenings. Take a crate of beer or bottle of champagne down to the rocks in front of Cafe Mambo if you don't want to pay at the bars on that strip. Remember to clean up after yourself though!

Treat yourself to a slap up meal at least once. There's a lot of very nice places to eat in San An, Ibiza Town and PDB. I've heard if you eat at the Pacha restaurant and adhere to the minimum spend you get free entry!

If you're not bothered about where you stay, get a basic room in a hostel. However you'd have to do without a fridge or air con in most places which are ESSENTIAL in July/August. Look on booking.com for the cheapest deals.

Anywhere in San An town will be within walking distance to the West End. The further back you go the quieter it is.

Don't get so drunk you don't know where you are, you're a walking target for thieves.

Do not let the black women grab your arm and tie bracelets around it. They will demand that you pay them.

What I wish I'd have known before going to Ibiza...

I thought I'd share some good tips with those of you who are planning to go Ibiza soon! In no particular order...

Get buses instead of taxis! You could save easily over 100E a week.
Oh yes

When booking your holiday, don't bother with an arranged transfer as the bus is about 4E or if you want a taxi it's about 30E to San An and even cheaper to Playa D'en Bossa.
Oh Yessssssssss

Try and go to PDB at least once during your holiday even if its just for the afternoon. You will find its a bit more laid back and mature place - consider staying here if you're over 25.
Even if you are over 40!

Get as many free wristbands as you can! You might not see the biggest names but if you're on a budget it's a cheap way to experience all the clubs.
But don't wear them if you don't need them, in some attempt to cover your whole arm

Can't comment on boat parties but they were sold out when we enquired so maybe consider it. You get free drinks (wine and beer) on board plus club entry afterwards (although it was a free night anyway!)
Normally the free entry is way too early:(

The Zoo Project looked fun to do, take some animal print clothes and some body paint to do your own make up and designs. I think people were charging 70E+ to get half your body painted (basically spray can + stencils and glitter so do it yourself!)
70Euros :eek:, that will be the price of a VRB in Amnesia this year

Get wasted in the West End before you go out.
and completely forget the rest of your night out

See the stunning sunset most evenings. Take a crate of beer or bottle of champagne down to the rocks in front of Cafe Mambo if you don't want to pay at the bars on that strip. Remember to clean up after yourself though!
If you can dodge the Mambo fun Police

Treat yourself to a slap up meal at least once. There's a lot of very nice places to eat in San An, Ibiza Town and PDB. I've heard if you eat at the Pacha restaurant and adhere to the minimum spend you get free entry!
Cant see that Pacha thing lasting any longer or it will increase to a 1000E pp spend:mad:

If you're not bothered about where you stay, get a basic room in a hostel. However you'd have to do without a fridge or air con in most places which are ESSENTIAL in July/August. Look on booking.com for the cheapest deals.
Hostel in Spain is a small hotel, dont let the name put you off

Anywhere in San An town will be within walking distance to the West End. The further back you go the quieter it is.
Cala Des Moro is where the clever people stay;)

Don't get so drunk you don't know where you are, you're a walking target for thieves.
See above about being wasted

Do not let the black women grab your arm and tie bracelets around it. They will demand that you pay them.
or your cock

Just outsid of Manchester, Deepseadiver!

Some more tips I've thought of to help you Ibiza Virgins!...

When people tell you that Ibiza is an expensive place.. They are telling the truth. In all honesty you will need at least 100E a day to cover the basics (2-3 cheap meals, cheap drinks, sun loungers, cheap club ticket) but MUCH more if you're planning on going to the super clubs on a good night (e.g. FMIF at Pacha) expect to pay 40-90E for the club ticket alone.

I would say 150E a day give or take is enough for you not to worry about budgeting.

Try and buy some tickets online here before you go, then your spending money is for food/drinks/other small stuff. You get fast track entrance to the clubs too!

Do not get in illegal taxis

The super club free buses go from the stop across the road from Plastik. They return back to San An every hour after around 2am.

Take a boat trip to some of the better beaches, particularly the north of the island... Something I regret not doing but will definitely make time for this year.

Arriving in the early hours may not be for everyone but if you're on a budget then the flights are fairly cheap!

You can haggle in the shops!

You can haggle over ticket prices in bars within reason e.g. if you're eating there or buying a few drinks you can ask them to knock a few euros off.

Ladies, ditch the heels. Your feet will ache all holiday. Swap them for comfortable flats. Nobody actually cares what's on your feet.

You will live in shorts, vests and flip flops. Don't bother with formal-ish dresses you'd wear at home. Bring a light cardigan for the cooler months.

If your drink goes out of your sight then do not pick it back up. Just buy another one! In the west end they're cheap enough.

The reps will hassle you on the strip. They're only doing their job. Play it to your advantage by asking for more drinks to get you in to their bars! If you're in a large group, some places offer bottles of vodka and schnapps just to get you through the doors.

Lads, stay away from the prostitutes!

Slushes are your friend! So is berrocca!

If you're going for a week or more plan a chilled night to catch up on sleep.

Some clubs & events (like The Zoo Project) do not allow cameras. Nothing to stop you taking pictures on your phones though.

Don't mess around on balconies (common sense)

Anywhere in San An town is a good location to stay. Generally the further back you are the quieter it is.

Girls, don't bother with the heavy slap, heavy extensions and the St. tropez... It will melt off in the high season.

The cheap vodka in the shops tastes horrible and will give you a terrible hangover. Go for a named brand you trust.

When in Privilege, try to visit the other rooms. It's huge! Careful you don't get lost! Plan a meeting place for you and your friends if you get separated.

Buy a cheap throw away phone.

Use hotel and bars free wifi to save on extortionate roaming data charges.

Bring a mp3 or phone loaded with good music and a small speaker for you to listen to whilst you get ready. We forgot!

Save some money for the airport on your way back. So much good stuff to buy in there.

E-mail your hotel before you arrive with your arrival time to make sure someone will be there to greet you and that your room will be ready. Nothing worse than hanging around after a long flight

Back