Muswell Hill

MiniMarc

Doeas anyone have any experience of this area of north london? Particularly the property side of things and also how easy it is to get about etc.

Bit of a weird situation that has come up but I may have an opportunity to aquire a fairly run down 1 bedroom flat there from my Uncle in an elaborate inheritance / tax avoidance deal . Im going to see it later but need to make a decision by friday as to weather its a project Id take on as somewhere to do up and live or as an investment to sell / BTL.
Baring in mind I have zero experience with anything like this and the whole place needs a complete refit , It doesnt have central heating at the moment!

Very Jewish (rich) area, so if you done it up it could be a good rental investment. Or if you wanted to live there it's in zone 2 (I think?) so pretty close to London. I drive through that area of North London all the time and it's a nice area. Lots of parks, good transport links etc. I'd live there!

Cheers , and btw the tax avaidance thing is nothing illegal , my uncle used to be a tax man and is totally scared of doing anything like that , its more using the existing system to your advantage. It seems you cant own a property and pass it down these days without giving half of it away to tax :evil:

Muswell Hill is very sought after property-wise. Main negative issue is that there isn't a tube station. Nearest one is Highate, which is a long walk or a busy bus ride away.

It's very yummy mummy/young professional round there these days - renting out not a problem.

The best advert for the area, of course, is that when I escaped the mean streets of Edmonton, growing up there made me the man I am today!:lol:

Also, where in Muswell Hill is it? Some properties with Muswell Hill addresses are so far down Colney Hatch Lane they are nearer to Finchley!

Its Alexandra Gardens N10. Any idea of transport times from around there or how long to walk to a tube? I gather theres lots of hills

Its Alexandra Gardens N10. Any idea of transport times from around there or how long to walk to a tube? I gather theres lots of hills

That's Mussy Hill proper! Nice. About a mile to the station so 15-20 mins walk. 5 mins walk the opposite direction for lazy summer days in Ally Pally park

Just Streetmap'd it.... nice road!! If it's cheap and a good investment oppurtunity I would go with it. It's soooooo hard being a first time buyer in London. Sometimes you need a little touch like this to help you on the ladder.

Essentially i would only need a mortgage to pay for all the renovations not the property itself so I'd hazard a guess at 40-50k max. All very scary but will potentially never get an opportunity like this ever again

don't know it that well but it's not a bad area from what I can remember (Madness once sang about it and they are the ultimate North Londoners)

try and work out how close you are to northern line

the north london line on the map looks quite handy but it takes forever - or at least it used to when I was in richmond

everywhere north of kentish town and west of finsbury park right up to alexandra palace is pretty hilly - not ideal for cycling

hampstead is the poshest area of all - the village is always nice for drinks/meals - the heath a strong recommend if you're into dogging

I looked at flats at crouch end/hornsey a few years ago - area seemed ok, further east though you're nearly at green lanes which is smack central

Wait Richmond? I live near the end of the northern line (Woodside Park), getting to Richmond was such an ordeal, I blame the district line for that though. The northern line is decent, no worse than the rest of the underground.

Muswell Hill is a nice area, as others have said it's not the easiest place to get around from though.

Wait Richmond? I live near the end of the northern line (Woodside Park), getting to Richmond was such an ordeal, I blame the district line for that though. The northern line is decent, no worse than the rest of the underground.

Muswell Hill is a nice area, as others have said it's not the easiest place to get around from though.

Woodside Park? I used to live on Woodside Park Road and I still have a house in North Finchley.

You ever drink around there?

I was referring to the North London overground Line not the Northern Line

maybe they got their act together but it used to take hours

Woodside Park? I used to live on Woodside Park Road and I still have a house in North Finchley.

You ever drink around there?

Hahaha small world; I'm on Cissbury Ring if you know it.. When we drink we usually go to Dignity / The Catcher in North Finchley and sometimes the Adam & Eve in Mill Hill. Also Tally Ho on occasion.

I <3 Woodside Park + North London generally. I find it hilarious how some people think it's like the countryside, especially because the tube goes outdoors. Well in fairness I've only heard that from Americans studying here who had only experienced Central, but still pretty funny.

I was referring to the North London overground Line not the Northern Line

maybe they got their act together but it used to take hours

Ahh. I only did that Richmond journey once for work and was quite pissed that they wanted me to go early and help set up when I lived on literally the opposite side of the capital. Overground might have been better. Fcuk the district line.

Hahaha small world; I'm on Cissbury Ring if you know it.. When we drink we usually go to Dignity / The Catcher in North Finchley and sometimes the Adam & Eve in Mill Hill. Also Tally Ho on occasion.

Know them all very well. The Adam is much better since they've done it up. Tally Ho is too depressing for words! Catcher and Dignity are ok. The Dignity used to be called Taylors and was a weekly punch when we were kids. The White Lion by East Finchley Station is worth a look too....

I'll still head back that way for football so when I've picked my mate up from Linkside round the corner from you on Thursday, I shall wave as I pass Cissbury.:lol:

Know them all very well. The Adam is much better since they've done it up. Tally Ho is too depressing for words! Catcher and Dignity are ok. The Dignity used to be called Taylors and was a weekly punch when we were kids. The White Lion by East Finchley Station is worth a look too....

I'll still head back that way for football so when I've picked my mate up from Linkside round the corner from you on Thursday, I shall wave as I pass Cissbury.:lol:

I definitely prefer the Adam and Eve to the rest, I guess a slight nostalgia factor as it's en route to my old school. Tally Ho sucks, never my choice when we go there. I might suggest the White Lion next time. I don't know why Diginity and Catcher are where we usually go... It's not cheaper there is it?

I was once chatting to a random online and ended up finding out they lived on my actual road... Didn't talk after that, I think it weirded us both out :).

I definitely prefer the Adam and Eve to the rest, I guess a slight nostalgia factor as it's en route to my old school. Tally Ho sucks, never my choice when we go there. I might suggest the White Lion next time. I don't know why Diginity and Catcher are where we usually go... It's not cheaper there is it?

I was once chatting to a random online and ended up finding out they lived on my actual road... Didn't talk after that, I think it weirded us both out :).

Where did you go? Mill Hill County? Grammar?

Don't think Catcher or Dignity are cheaper AFAIK

How's this for an online coincidence:
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=11162

Sounds like you are on for a right touch there, obviously not knowing the renovation required! I lived in nearby Bounds Green for a summer many moons ago and used to work in the William Hill in Muswell Hill. Nice place, got some nice pubs, restaurants and shops if I remember, although didn't have the cash then to really appreciate it. Some friends of mine live nearby now and still rate it. If it had the tube it would be much more popular.

we didnt go for it in the end. It wasnt a freebie by any means there was serious money involved and the return did not look to be much. The place was literally derelict. Absolutely everything needed to be replaced including all plumbing , no central heating etc. It wasnt the right propertty for me and its not the right time in my life where i can dedicate the time and energy that would be needed for this project . I hadnt planned on living in a 1 bed flat either. I think someone with more experience in these things will get a good deal and a lovely blank canvas in a posh area but it wasnt for me

Back