Music was my First Love

Sirens

Other than house what type of music/artists, etc did you listen to?

In the early 90's I was into Oasis and the whole indie vibe. Also Hip Hop.

Started listening to William Orbit and Laurent Garnier and I was hooked!

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about them :lol: I use to wear their neckachiefs :oops: and loved all guys that looked like them LOL

I was really into The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, all that Madchester scene.......in fact I used to walk around with 20" flares and a Reni hat :oops: :lol:

I liked Roxette, bel biv devoe, colour me badd, def leppard:)oops:... still do!)... Maritime folk music..lots of equivalent good stuff like that

Do you want to know what we listened to in the early 1990s, or what we listened to when we fell in love with music? :confused: I'll assume the latter...

I was/am into what was called 'new wave' in the States (which was mainly UK pop/rock or US stuff that sounded similar), starting back in the days of Blondie but moving on to what I now call the 'big 4': The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode and the Smiths. I also enjoyed gothic (old Cure but also Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, etc.), 'alternative rock', punk (regular and hardcore) and industrial/EBM (Nitzer Ebb, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, etc.)

I used to walk around in a trenchcoat or black leather jacket with my combat boots on :lol:

Always been into dance music since I was about 11/12 years old. I remember my first dance music cassettes (no CD player :oops: ) being from the 'Deep Heat' series before I moved onto Hardcore Ecstasy/Essential Hardcore :oops: :lol: etc

Showing my age here....

Punk (Sham 69, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers, Clash, Souixie and the Banshees) - Mum still blames the babysitter for this...

Electronic (John Foxx, Ultravox, Tubeway Army, Jean Michel Jarre, Joy Division)

Bit of goth / Grunge (Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, All about Eve, Violent Femmes, Killing Joke, Pixies, Swans, Tad, Janes Addiction, Sonic Youth etc etc

reggae/ragga (Marley, Tosh, Bim Sherman, Loved Gary Clail)

Acid/Manchester sounds (Happy Mondays, Primal Scream, etc
(if the advert wasnt so bad, I could be pushed to buy that Madchester 90's CD he's currently promoting)

Warehouse music (The Orb, Orbital, etc)

Dance music ( the usual Dj's back in the day.......)

Have always been into electronic music, was brought up on Kraftwerk. Got into Depeche Mode in a big way when I was around 13 then went on the industrial route, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 etc. Got into the dance scene when I started going to cream with a buddy who was @ liverpool uni and seeing Oakie in the courtyard, simply blew me away...:lol:

oadbyone said:
Have always been into electronic music, was brought up on Kraftwerk. Got into Depeche Mode in a big way when I was around 13 then went on the industrial route, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 etc.
Did you go to gothic-industrial club nights back in those days? I used to love those in the late '80s before moving on to house nights in the '90s. Nitzer Ebb ruled! :lol:

I always loved dance music, even when I was really young. One of the first albums I ever bought was Now Dance 93 or something, when I was about 10 :eek: I remember it having "2 Unlimited - No Limit" and "Moby - Go" on it... brilliant album :lol:
I also loved the Prodigy, bought "Music for the Jilted Generation" when that first came out in about 95/96.

So I guess a clubber's life was always my destiny :twisted: Started listening to old skool garage in 94/95/96, then got into D&B and hardcore in 98/99, then hardhouse in 00/01, then finally moved onto "proper" house in about 2003! I still love my raving roots though :twisted:

Oh and aside from that I've always loved every type of music... LOVE Bon Jovi :D and other rock groups, Red Hot Chili peppers, Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day etc.
Also love old Motown music, Aretha Franklin, Freda Payne, Sandy Crawford etc.
Love all the 60's music as I was brought up on it via my Dad!
Also love all the big women vocalists, Whitney, Mariah, Celine Dion etc!

I guess I'm just an all round music lover ;) I do pride myself on my knowledge of music, I think I have quite good all round good music tastes! :twisted:

Morbyd said:
Did you go to gothic-industrial club nights back in those days? I used to love those in the late '80s before moving on to house nights in the '90s. Nitzer Ebb ruled! :lol:

Sure did, although they tended to get a little too aggressive for my liking, especially when the harder edge stuff like Ministry, Skinny Puppy etc came on.

Went to see Nitzer Ebb a few times, once supporting Depeche Mode and the other @ a really small venue, very interesting gig!:eek:
There was a mix of 'Join in the Chant' out recently that a few of the big DJs were playing, took me back!

aside from my above mentioned musical tastes, i've always been into dance music too, when I was 12 or so always found the most dancey music i could get my hands on... i do have far too many old tapes with 'dance mix 92' or similar cheesey equivalents

oadbyone said:
Went to see Nitzer Ebb a few times, once supporting Depeche Mode and the other @ a really small venue, very interesting gig!:eek:
There was a mix of 'Join in the Chant' out recently that a few of the big DJs were playing, took me back!
I saw the tour when they opened for Depeche... missed half their performance due to bad traffic on the way in :evil: Really liked that Join in the Chant remix thhat was floating around... wish it'd gotten played more!

Beckiboo - Just had a total university flashback when you mentioned 2 Unlimited :lol: Remember LA Style, Lords of Acid and Quadrophonia... oh, and the Timelords / KLF!? :lol:

i was raised on rock and soul, my parents went to laods of gigs before, during(:eek: ) and after i was born. so The Who, Led Zepellin, Stones, Lynyrd Skynrd (sp?), Queen, Bowie, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Hendrix

And soul too, marvin gaye, BB King, a bit of James Brown, Aretha, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett,

I liked through the 90s, The doors, oasis, blur, fun lovin criminals, nirvana, soul II soul.

Also love any type of latin-inspired/fused music, especially samba and latin jazz8)

as well, how can i come where i come from and not know all the lyrics to every beatles song:oops: :lol:

been into every sort of dance music since 8/9/10 (house, garage, deebee, hiphop, jungle, trance, prog, tribal, etc, etc)

i've had a passionate affair with the music of black america spanning 5 decades. as a young mod i couldn't think of anything cooler than having the latest ray charles album tucked under my arm and a stack of 7 inch dance singles in a special little carrying case. i still can never forget the day i discovered miles davis when my mate gave me 'a atribute to jack johnson' - the most gobsmacking piece of music i'd ever heard. and the ultimate road to damascus experience - the 1968 blues and gospel tour with real blues wailers all the way from chicago!
as a footnote, i am still trying to replace a copy of snoopy dean's shake'n'bump y'all which i lost about 1976. anybody got one?

stephen said:
i've had a passionate affair with the music of black america spanning 5 decades. as a young mod i couldn't think of anything cooler than having the latest ray charles album tucked under my arm and a stack of 7 inch dance singles in a special little carrying case. i still can never forget the day i discovered miles davis when my mate gave me 'a atribute to jack johnson' - the most gobsmacking piece of music i'd ever heard. and the ultimate road to damascus experience - the 1968 blues and gospel tour with real blues wailers all the way from chicago!
as a footnote, i am still trying to replace a copy of snoopy dean's shake'n'bump y'all which i lost about 1976. anybody got one?

stephen one of my fav albums of all the times is Do Boop, by Miles Davis. Do you know Marlena SHaw?

the album doo bop is really freaky. a collaboration with rapper easy mo bee, half the album was made when miles was alive, he went into hospital during the making of it and died. the rest of the album was made using recordings of his trumpet playing (obviously before his death) and fitting the background music to it!

i don't know marlena shaw personally but one of her top tunes in the mid 60's was 'wade in the water' which which was made realy famous by ramsey lewis, and of course she has become famous now for kfc's advert featuring california soul.

First single i ever bought ( or should i say i asked my mom to buy me ) was Adam & the Ants - Kings of the wild frontier. I doubt i was even 10.

Followed up with.

Human League
ABC
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Frankie Goes to Hollywood ( 1st ever gig and still one of the best )
Bronski Beat

Took a swerve into The Cult and the Sisters of Mercy and started to listen to stuff my Dad would play... ELO, The Eagles, The Stones & Led Zeppelin.

Then came the 1st House track that made me take notice.

T-coy - Carino... Which IMHO is a still a classic today and still played and enjoyed

Back