Mot rip off

MARKB

Sorry if this thread belongs on a consumer watchdog website but i thought i'd share this with you:

On Friday, booked my car in for a service at a main dealership as they had an offer on for a cheap service.

They said "we can do a free MOT if you'd like" to which i agreed evern though it has 3 months left to run.

They picked my car up from my office and i got a call 3pm on the afternoon telling me the car had failed the MOT and they wanted £1200 to put it right.

When i told them to **** off (the car only has 37k on it, so i smelt a rat) they said;

"we've informed VOSA that the car is unroadworthy so we won't drop it back off, and you can't drive it away as the insurance will be invalidated"1 :twisted::twisted:

Ignoring this blatant attempt at blackmail i went and collected the car went to a local garage and had the car retested 3 times with different MOT testers and the final bill:

£57 - one bulb replaced and one wiper blade, nothing else at fault.

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Can't believe this blatant attempt at robbery!!!

Currently plotting my revenge..

in more advanced countries the mot or itv as it is called here is an independent test carried out by the traffic authorities and not some cowboys in a garage. must book my motor in shortly.

The fact it was a main dealers is rather worrying.

I'd give our Anne a call ;)

all%20new%20watchdog.jpg

£57 - one bulb replaced and one wiper blade, nothing else at fault.

BTW, If they had serviced it prior to the MOT, surely a bulb and wiper is standard practice to check when servicing a car :confused: :lol:

Aswell as VOSA I'd complian to Landrover, if you make an official complaint they will get in big trouble, and LR will prob offer you as nice sweetner for being quiet.

In my experience the manufacturers come down hard on dodgy main dealers, they have very strict guidlines. And if theyve got history, then its not looking good for them.

Stratstone Landrover!

I'm about to give VOSA a call.

These tend to deal with commercial stuff.

Trading Standards are defo your first port of call.

I bet we can all share stories from the "stealers"?

Took my Japanese Mercedes in for its 1st service and it had only done 9500 miles. Nay on 250 notes.

"We can re-gas your aircon if you like?"

"Okay, thats good of you."

"Its an extra 80 pounds plus vat."

"I dont think so!"

You would expect them to do it as part of the service (sorry, oil change)

We can re-gas your aircon if you like?"
On a car that`s only done that mileage on a first service ! That deserves a snotty letter to the MD at least, blatent attempt to rip you off, Or is the car that bad, the system has leaked it all out already ? Either way, not right at all.
Tim

On a car that`s only done that mileage on a first service ! That deserves a snotty letter to the MD at least, blatent attempt to rip you off, Or is the car that bad, the system has leaked it all out already ? Either way, not right at all.
Tim

I will vote with my wallet. Next service to be at a different stealer.

Back