Morbyd

sandi

Would you recommend Moskow as a good winter hol destination? How long is the flight? can you fly from heathrow?

sandi said:
Would you recommend Moskow as a good winter hol destination? How long is the flight? can you fly from heathrow?
Aeroflot and BA fly from Heathrow. Transaero from Gatwick. 3.5 hour flight.

I'm not a big fan of Moscow weather in the winter. It's cold. It snows then melts and gets slushy and dirty. There's no decent skiing nearby, which might make up for the coldness.

Moscow in summer is gorgeous. Even autumn isn't bad (just ends early!)

In general, it's a great city. Lots of very good restaurants, bars, nightclubs. Not too much architecture left (they keep tearing stuff down) but you've got Red Square, the Kremlin, the Pushkin Museum and several cool churches and monasteries. It's also easy to take day trips out to the old Golden Ring cities around Moscow (Sergeev Posad, Uglich, Vladimir, etc).

sandi said:

ohhh you thinking of going!!! I would love to do that :D :D ofcourse I suppose I would be freezing cold ;)

Morbyd - how long have you lived in Moscow?

I wish I had been there in 2001 when the Tatu girls were setting the place on fire!

Kuklachev is cute, too - I got to see the Moscow Cats Theater last month in Manhattan and get a picture with him and one of the Persian cats. :D It was an entertaining and FAMILY ORIENTED show. 8)

I'm assuming you need plenty of money to enjoy all the good things Moscow has to offer.. what I mean is, the clubbing, funky bars and resaturants must come with a high price?. similar prices to what you'd pay o go out in London or NY?

I was looking into a job there while back, but was told I wouldn't be able to enjoy all the things I like, like good clubs and bars on a very mediocre salary

silvia said:
Sandi...

What about sunny Barcelona? :D :D

Aww I do love barca and have visited many times silv. I just thought moskow may be all Romantic and I could wear one of those massive fur(fake) hats :D
I went to Lapland last winter and loved all the snow.

Paris - t.A.T.u. is back! They have a new album and just did a show in a nightclub here last week. I think they're cute too... but they've got to be messed up for life after the wild ride they went through during the promotion of the first album.

The missus and I met their promotor/manager in one of our more bizarre clubbing incidents (suffice to say, we didn't know him when we and a bunch of friends hopped in his BMW and got a ride from a house party to a club one night :lol: )

Utagaura - yes, it's a very expensive city to party in, depending on where you're going. The more "elite" night clubs (i.e. the good ones) usually have no entrance fee but they have "face control" (do you look cool enough?) and then charge almost London nightclub prices for drinks (beer 5 pounds, mixed drinks 7-10). If it's a really good party and they do charge entrance, it'll be about the same as London (10-20 pounds).

Dinner out in a nice mid-range restaurant will cost you 30-40 pounds per person (That's with glasses of wine and beer... With bottles of wine or stronger drinks, prepare to pay more).

You can always find options that are more or less expensive, though. For example, one of my old favorite stand-by clubs, Propaganda, sells beers for 1.70 pounds and has no door charge usually (except Saturday - 2 pounds) so you have have a great time on the cheap. The missus and I stuffed ourselves at a great new Czech restaurant last weekend for 58 pounds with several beers, a couple of glasses of wine and a couple of Czech apple liqueur shots.

ouch! pretty expensive!

I do enjoy a good nightlife and don't think any salary I'd get would be able to afford that!

would love to check Moscow out though... only if I haveenough money to spend my time clubbing indoors in the winter though!

sandi said:
Aww I do love barca and have visited many times silv. I just thought moskow may be all Romantic and I could wear one of those massive fur(fake) hats :D
I went to Lapland last winter and loved all the snow.

I hear you, best thing of our NY trip last year was me wearing all the hats, scarfs, gloves and big coats that I hardly wear at home :D

Morbyd,

I remember you posting recently that you may be in the market to purchase property in London... are you thinking of moving there any time soon? Or was it just an idea... or going to be a share/rent-out?

-xo PG :p

PachaGirl79 said:
Morbyd,

I remember you posting recently that you may be in the market to purchase property in London... are you thinking of moving there any time soon? Or was it just an idea... or going to be a share/rent-out?

-xo PG :p
Just curious ;)

Sandi - if you like cold and big hats, then come on over :lol:

Morbyd

Are the election protests a big deal or just western media making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do you think Putin steal the elections or can you say?;)

Morbyd

Are the election protests a big deal or just western media making a mountain out of a mole hill? Do you think Putin steal the elections or can you say?;)
Well no, he didn't steal the election. He would have won anyway. Probably in the first round and with at least twice his next competitor's vote count (there were 5 candidates)

That's what makes all of the election irregularities so annoying! There was really no need for it. But he just couldn't be satisfied with a simple majority of the vote.

The main problem this time around was carousel voting - where they bus people around to vote at various polling stations. It's not like Putin orders it - it's just that people down the line (regional governors, local officials, major industrial enterprises) are expected to deliver votes. After parliamentary elections last December, a few governors were removed when local support for Putin's political party was too low.

So, instead of giving a command from the top to stop the nonsense and win more honestly (not completely, because he's still got a huge advantage in the state media), Putin just let this all continue. Massively illogical given a) he would win anyway and b) a lot of people were watching very closely after December's fiasco.

Ugh.

Back