Monarch airlines - WARNING

WeLuvIbiza

If you are travelling on Monarch airlines you have no option to check-in online, this is to facilitate the weighing of your hand luggage. Be warned there is absolutely no leaway, a few hundred grams over ie; 10.2kg and you will be forced to rummage through you case and wear items or stuff items in your pockets! The staff are on commission to get you to pay £30 to check-in your hand luggage. I imagine there will be a lot of commission being earned this summer!

Has this only just starting happening this year? Flown a few times to various places with them over the last few years and had no issues when a bit over.

Seems very recent. I traveled a couple of times this year (Jan & Mar) and the kind helpful girl at the desk asked if I wanted to check in my cabin baggage. Naturally I accepted after removing my laptop. On the third occasion a week or so back, my case was 11.4kg, the girl was trying to insist I paid £30 to check-in the case. I put on a few items of clothing, and had to put the case back on the scales several times, the last time on the scales it was 10.2kg and she wouldn't give me my boarding pass until it was "Within their maximum allowed cabin baggage weight". I dumped a few bits and pieces and and was finally given my boarding pass, nightmare. A friend told me they are on commission to get the extra £30 from unsuspecting passengers. It's crazy, as soon as I received my boarding pass and was out of sight I took off the extra clothes and put them back in the case which is what most people will do, surely?

edit: Another poster on these forums faced the same dilemma with Monarch on another flight, difference is he's loaded and I'm not, he paid the £30!

Ive bought a digital luggage scale which i have used on quite a few occasions, both hand and hold luggage. What concerns me is that the scales at the Airport are not "calibrated" and that the extra 200g might not actually be correct:evil:. Each time I have compared the two, the airport scales always say they weigh more!

Monarch's flight times are **** out of Manchester so I wont be using them in any case (no pun intended)

Monarch's flight times are **** out of Manchester so I wont be using them in any case (no pun intended)

Their flight times always seem to be horrific from wherever i've flown from. Only used them due to the fact they were the cheapest by far.

Their flight times always seem to be horrific from wherever i've flown from. Only used them due to the fact they were the cheapest by far.

Used them once dude. Flight delayed from 10pm til 2am !!!! Ringway departures lounge was like the Mos Eisley Cantina :eek:

I booked with them a couple of days ago, I didn't bother booking a seat because I'm travelling alone, but noticed it promoted the seat along with the opportunity to check in online for free.

Might see if I can pan the £3 for a seat so I don't have to **** about with my bag.

I've just been and had a look and I can check in online, no probs. Deffos doing that now.

EDIT:

Seems that to check in online, you have to reserve a seat, cheapest is £3.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just been and had a look and I can check in online, no probs. Deffos doing that now.

EDIT:

Seems that to check in online, you have to reserve a seat, cheapest is £3.99.

I had to pay £6.99 for the privilege, and then I ended up missing the flight anyway! :rolleyes:

Back