Mix subscriptions

The Sun God

Further to a post in another thread, are the premium mixcloud & spotify services worth it? + Beatsinspace?

I support a lot of artists through bandcamp & juno but that's as far as it currently goes.

There's an issue of ethics v affordability here but am torn

Thoughts?

For me personally, although Spotify is not ethical, that's another discussion! I use it because i can't afford to buy music like I used to (kids!) So it's been an affordable life line and allows me to listen to music that's new or older stuff. I discover alot of new music that I wouldn't ordinarily come across. Occasional the algorithms throw up some really great music (not always) the more you listen and follow the artists the more accurate it gets. The clincher, is that it's all in one place, mobile music library. I don't listen to DJ sets at home very often, I tend to listen to artists/producers/musicians/bands, so it works for me.
I find most of what I'm looking for on Spotify, occasionally there are tracks I can't find or remixes of tracks.

Yeah, i know what you mean. I just found that their algorhythms never quite get my mood haha! :lol:

As for mixcloud, i know a few folk upgraded to premium, but i can't decide if it's worth it.

I've tried with SC but the layout is awful. Can never find anything.

I subscribe* to Amazon Music HD which is reduced price through Prime. Quite pleased with the content since defecting from Spotify.

I also pay* for Soundcloud premium ( not Go), this is to have unlimited upload. I would like to get more followers but it’s made little difference.

I tried Mixcloud basic but couldn’t get on with it.

(*On a side note, I recently sacked off Netflix to compensate)

wise move. there is an astonishing amount of crap on netflix. (I watch maybe 5%). is Amazon pretty comprehensive across the board?

on the music streaming, I can understand why a lot of people are moving away from the free model. Tim Sweeney for instance really had to fight hard recently to keep his show on New York radio but a whole generation has come to accept things for free so challenging that ain't easy. But then again, would I myself pay?... hmm, I dunno. So much 'dance music' is disposable without any real value so how do you monetise that, esp when the only real return is in live stuff and licensing. I think I might pay if for instance there was say an archive of mixes hosted somewhere by people with reputations I really trusted maybe in the classic house sphere, a load of humphries mastermixes or anything you could not hear elsewhere or perhaps at the other end something dedicated to new emerging talent but we already have NTS for all that, so why bother?

there are labels such as Claremont 56 who champion value in everything they do, from the music to the sleeve art to the packaging and cottage industry merchandise and I think people do respond to that but your everyday tech label will never inspire that kind of loyalty.

Back