marriage

6%20breaking%20news.jpg

;)

Same sex marriage just in the UK, anyone getting hitched? Does anyone agree or disagree with the law change?

Obviously agree equal rights should stand - but now think we should abolish marriage for the feminist cause.

Forcing monogamous prisons on ourselves because of society pressure and tax breaks is not cool. (see monogamy post) :lol:

The politicians that publicly voiced their opposition is quite disgusting in my opinion, adam and eve....man and women....no kid should have mum and mum etc how are these dick heads even in these jobs? It is about time the whole country had a reform on politics and the nations ideals. Whilst I admit the whole gay marriage wont effect me personally, so what if men want to marry men or women want to marry women? For too long the whole "religious" and "moral" way of bringing up kids is man and women is soooo old fashioned and we need to move in the current century.
Life is for living and the whole notion of having to "tow the line" to be accepted just isn't modern life.

The politicians that publicly voiced their opposition is quite disgusting in my opinion, adam and eve....man and women....no kid should have mum and mum etc how are these dick heads even in these jobs? It is about time the whole country had a reform on politics and the nations ideals. Whilst I admit the whole gay marriage wont effect me personally, so what if men want to marry men or women want to marry women? For too long the whole "religious" and "moral" way of bringing up kids is man and women is soooo old fashioned and we need to move in the current century.
Life is for living and the whole notion of having to "tow the line" to be accepted just isn't modern life.

We shouldn't be surprised though.

How many people on this forum voted the Tories in with full knowledge of their homophobia record?

The 'equalities' minister, Theresa May even voted against section 28. :rolleyes:

Call me dumb, but does this now mean gay people can be 'religiously' married? Surely if we're to accept religion (and I have doubts as to whether we should!), then we have to allow religious people to see their books as the word of God. If their books say homosexuality is basically wrong, I don't see how we can force them to reject the word of God. Still, I do think gay people should be able to form partnerships (atheist marriage?) with all the protection, etc that heterosexual couples have.

Call me dumb, but does this now mean gay people can be 'religiously' married? Surely if we're to accept religion (and I have doubts as to whether we should!), then we have to allow religious people to see their books as the word of God. If their books say homosexuality is basically wrong, I don't see how we can force them to reject the word of God. Still, I do think gay people should be able to form partnerships (atheist marriage?) with all the protection, etc that heterosexual couples have.

You are right of course...but nor should we allow anyone to hide behind a doctrine to justify discrimination. People can think what they like so long as it doesn't affect my existence.

Plus if we are to believe the bible really denounces gays (which I don't believe it does) then the mass rape, stoning and killing of women who have affairs or sex out of wedlock must become a part of normal life. Oh and mass genocide too.

Is this ok with everyone? We we have to allow religious people to see their books as the word of God after all. :rolleyes:

There has to come a point where the fight for equality is more important than 'allowing' these ridiculous ideas to play out - and sometimes that means stamping on someone's precious doctrine.

You are right of course...but nor should we allow anyone to hide behind a doctrine to justify discrimination. People can think what they like so long as it doesn't affect my existence.

Plus if we are to believe the bible really denounces gays (which I don't believe it does) then the mass rape, stoning and killing of women who have affairs or sex out of wedlock must become a part of normal life. Oh and mass genocide too.

Is this ok with everyone? We we have to allow religious people to see their books as the word of God after all. :rolleyes:

There has to come a point where the fight for equality is more important than 'allowing' these ridiculous ideas to play out - and sometimes that means stamping on someone's precious doctrine.

This ^

What's the point of having a religion, though, if you don't follow the rules? Might as well just scrap the rules altogether. If the Christian religion is against homosexual relationships, then how can it give the blessing to gay marriage. It's like saying, "God, you were wrong." Doesn't stop gay people having an atheist marriage or getting married within the context of a religion that doesn't specifically have a problem with homosexuality. I don't believe in God and would happily scrap the 'desert religions', but if you're going to allow religion, you have to allow religious people their nonsense to some degree, at least within their church (not outside their church). If I was a homosexual, I'd be saying 'f*** you, I don't want to get married in your poxy church'. :lol: Actually, I say that as heterosexual; no interest in marriage whatsoever

Last edited by a moderator:
John Snow was hilarious the other night when he was interviewing one of the leading Tory boys who was anti Gay marriage, he basically said:

"How can you lot pretend to defend the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman when you're all running around having affairs"

This x 2

What's the point of having a religion, though, if you don't follow the rules? Might as well just scrap the rules altogether. If the Christian religion is against homosexual relationships, then how can it give the blessing to gay marriage. It's like saying, "God, you were wrong." Doesn't stop gay people having an atheist marriage or getting married within the context of a religion that doesn't specifically have a problem with homosexuality. I don't believe in God and would happily scrap the 'desert religions', but if you're going to allow religion, you have to allow religious people their nonsense to some degree, at least within their church (not outside their church). If I was a homosexual, I'd be saying 'f*** you, I don't want to get married in your poxy church'. :lol: Actually, I say that as heterosexual; no interest in marriage whatsoever

Because I don't believe the Bible does denounce homosexuality any more than it incites rape. The problem with doctrines is that there will always be a million interpretations.

The above is a separate issue altogether. No religion is ever going to represent authenticity because it's some other bloke's truth.

The point some are missing is that no man or the woman of the cloth will be forced to marry anyone. Seems a fair compromise to me.

The point some are missing is that no man or the woman of the cloth will be forced to marry anyone. Seems a fair compromise to me.

That's fair enough. I've not read up on exactly what's what. I do think gay people should have precisely the same legal rights with regards to marriage as heterosexual people, but I don't think a religion should have to add their 'blessing' to that if it's against their 'rules'. (At the same time, I wouldn't state fund anything to do with religion.)

I always assumed The Bible forbids homosexuality (or at least certain sexual acts), but what do I know? ;) It's all one big fairy story as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Back