Luminar Entertainment go bust

Ikoda

On 28 October 2011 the undernoted Companies entered Administration and Alan Hudson, Alan Bloom, Tom Lukic were appointed as Joint Administrators.
A M Hudson is licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. A R Bloom and T Lukic are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
The affairs, business and property of the Companies are being managed by the Joint Administrators, A M Hudson, A R Bloom and T Lukic who act as agents of the Companies only and without personal liability.

This will affect the 'normal' clubbing scene, as Luminar own Oceana, Lava Ignite, Liquid and Project. Should be interesting to see what happens to those clubs, and where the people that go to them will go if they decide to close the clubs.

i think they're looking to sell em to individual investors / another group rather than close em down but there might not be any takers

to the next cattle market

They all have a large capacity. Could mean that should the close, more knob heads will go to some of the more underground nights.

Clubbing isn't a good business to be in at the moment, certainly not for the generic club nights like what Oceana and co put on.

i think they're looking to sell em to individual investors / another group rather than close em down but there might not be any takers

There is interest, and the administrators Ernst & Young are confident of selling the full or majority of the estate...

For those interested (probably not many!), takeover complete by Moutaintop - headed by Peter Marks (ex-Northern Leisure CEO), Alex Geffert (Whitbread) and entrepeneur and multi-club owner Joe Heanen.

Certainly people with vast experience within the industry. Lets see where they go with it...

For those interested (probably not many!), takeover complete by Moutaintop - headed by Peter Marks (ex-Northern Leisure CEO), Alex Geffert (Whitbread) and entrepeneur and multi-club owner Joe Heanen.

Certainly people with vast experience within the industry. Lets see where they go with it...

Hopefully not just 'more of the same'

I don't mind Oceana once in a blue moon. But I have had some great nights out in Liquids, when they get the likes of Above & Beyond, and Mark Knight and co to play. Probably a thing of the past now though.

I don't mind Oceana once in a blue moon. But I have had some great nights out in Liquids, when they get the likes of Above & Beyond, and Mark Knight and co to play. Probably a thing of the past now though.

It's a catch 22 because some of those venues are huge - many 2,000 capacity +. Now granted, often there is more than one "room", but there is usually a bigger main room. Couple this with the fact that they are usually located on the outskirts of a city or large town, and you have a dilemma.

Clubs that size outside of London, Cardiff, Manchester, Newcastle etc. - the big cities - need to cater for a "wider audience" - the everyman. Predominently you're looking at the younger end of the market - those with a very commercial palet music wise and those with not an especially significant amount of disposable income.

The result is lower profit margins, questionable clientele and a loathing amongst both the independants & "educated clubbers" - not neccesarily veterans - but very genre conscious.

Some of those Liquid arenas are built perfectly for big name trance and house DJ acts... but even if those in charge took a gamble and booked some big names, would it pay dividents for them from a business point of view???

I'm not so sure. The clubbing elite probably wouldnt attend no matter what name was headlining. And their regular customer base wouldnt care for a DJ they'd never heard of, and certainly wouldnt be willing to pay an increase door price to fund such acts.

Heanen has booked some credible acts in recent memory. James Zabiela & Jon Ulysses, so who knows...

It's a catch 22 because some of those venues are huge - many 2,000 capacity +. Now granted, often there is more than one "room", but there is usually a bigger main room. Couple this with the fact that they are usually located on the outskirts of a city or large town, and you have a dilemma.

Clubs that size outside of London, Cardiff, Manchester, Newcastle etc. - the big cities - need to cater for a "wider audience" - the everyman. Predominently you're looking at the younger end of the market - those with a very commercial palet music wise and those with not an especially significant amount of disposable income.

The result is lower profit margins, questionable clientele and a loathing amongst both the independants & "educated clubbers" - not neccesarily veterans - but very genre conscious.

Some of those Liquid arenas are built perfectly for big name trance and house DJ acts... but even if those in charge took a gamble and booked some big names, would it pay dividents for them from a business point of view???

I'm not so sure. The clubbing elite probably wouldnt attend no matter what name was headlining. And their regular customer base wouldnt care for a DJ they'd never heard of, and certainly wouldnt be willing to pay an increase door price to fund such acts.

Heanen has booked some credible acts in recent memory. James Zabiela & Jon Ulysses, so who knows...

I agree, you have to consider your customer taste. I have been to Oceana it was OK I had a good time but it was for a wedding party so expectations were low.

Don't have any expectations when you go in to an Oceana, and you'll have a great time :)
I went through a period this year where I went most weeks between Jan and April. I didn't drink, so those nights used to cost me £2 for a bottle of coke or something similar.

Part of the reason none of the big names are booked, as was rightly said, is cost. It's not as cheap as it used to be to book the likes of Above & Beyond, Carl Cox and the other big names. So door prices have to go up to cover it. Afterall, you don't want your club to run at a loss. I'm thinking of Syndicate in Bristol. They booked Markus Schulz in 2010 for a two hour gig, and 200 people turned up to a club which holds 2000.

The Liquid & Envy in Basildon strikes me as a poor location. It's well outside the city centre.

Back