L's side - Forgive me Spotlight for I have sinned...

Ibiza Lu

There are two sides to every coin.....so here's mine for what its worth....

D first came into my life when I was at a very low ebb...I had come back from the world's shortest immigration to Australia (two weeks) after the idiot I was seeing at the time decided I wasn't for him after all.... they say that it is from the greatest 'disaster' that the greatest things spring....they couldn't be more right..in the words of above and beyond...' If you've ever lost every part of yourself, if you've ever left your heart on a lonely avenue, It will be only a matter of time, before your life comes through for you...'

My first impressions of D were that he was funny, a bit obnoxious and muscly. These still stand lol. We got to know each other whilst working together and I remember feeling like I'd known him for years even though I didn't really know him at all yet. We had a bit of a thing and then he moved away...I was gutted when he left..he had made life bearable again and then he was gone. Long story short....he thrust a piece of paper with a two week trip to Ibiza in front of me and I thought- well why not?! I'd always wanted to go but never had friends who were into dance music or clubs (tsk). I knew I might get hurt...I was always the keen one, whereas D was just wanting two weeks of mayhem with a mate.

And that it was ;) the best two weeks of my life bar none. In fact, the first three days were simply incredible...'What is this place'? I thought. How can anywhere be so much fun?!!?!? Walking into Amnesia for the first time, jaw dropped to the floor...speechless for a full ten minutes....it totally changed my life beyond anything that came before or has come after.

It made me see that I could be happy. That may seem wierd and extreme, but I'm an ex - depressive- I had trouble enjoying anything at all for most of my adult life...(boo hoo, yeah yeah...) seriously though. So, here I am, off my nut, listening to fantastic, happy, amazing music with this amazing guy who is so funny and so positive...jumping around Amnesia feeling like I could just fall in love with everyone in the room....you know where I'm at! :)

I remember feeling totally free. D has this all encompassing enthusiasm for Ibiza and music and life- its infectious. He told me tales of his mischief and loves and everything from the ice cannons going off to the feeling you get when the whole crowd goes nuts in unison...it was all just as amazing as he had said....

We spent the following 4 years going to Ibiza, often hitting rocky patches in our Uk relationship, but always enjoying Ibiza which had become the other new love of my life....

So back to this trip...well it was about two mates waving off Ibiza together. I never thought I'd be back there so I went with no expectations at all...and it blew me away....

Skip to Coxy at Space.... or to be precise Nina Kraviz...not my thing. I don't know whether I'm old or my ears have stopped working but either way it was fun to have a laugh at how crap (we felt) it was... it was good to see Coxy in the flesh but nothing lost when we left early. I think not having expectations went a long way that night as we could just laugh and take the piss and not get huffy!

So then the next day, after a lovely man gave us free Sangria's at Mare Nostrum (seems ok, bit cheap-end of the market but friendly) we went to the pristene Ushuaia! 'Do we have a good view?' I innocently asked the receptionist .....erm....yes!!!! We had a room in the middle of the long side on the block- i.e prime Armin-in-the-pool-view!!!! The room was LUSH...bucket shower, swanky LED lighting on the walls- lots of nice touches! I found the staff lovely. and they all seemed happy! no snobby attitudes at all. Pink flamingoes holding I Pads for the guests to use dotted around the place....you knew you were somewhere swanky.

It was soon time for La Familia. I am not the music expert of our trip. I leave that to D, I'm just along for a good time. That probably puts me down a peg or two in lots of Ibiza people's eyes but I dont care...in 10 trips I still forget who I've seen where and what tracks they played when lol- it is still amazing and special for me and I don't need to turn it into anything more complicated lol :) Anyway I had no idea what type of music it would be at La familia...but when it started up I instantly liked it! It was giving Ushuia that good vibe I love it for, so before long we were bouncing around the swanky-bast*rd balcony that D had slaved so hard to pay for. I'd definitely recommend La Familia...and would go again for sure. A happy discovery! I remember D making jokes and us both just cracking up with the people in VIP spotting us and pointing :) He is a very funny man like I say :)

So on to the Best Thursday Ever...
When D had said about booking Ushuaia, I'd actually sworn quite a lot (at the cost of it) and had my misgivings about whether it would a) be worth it and b) be a bit 'wanky'.

It wasn't wanky at all AND f*ck me was it worth it.....WHAT an experience seeing Armin (@ ASOT) absolutely blow the roof off....he had the entire crowd eating out of his multi-millionaire Dutch hands. I love him. We all love him lol. I have never jumped so much in my life lol....

D mentioned my little attempt to sweet- talk the bouncer to get me into Armin's private bar- I should put this in context- we have managed to sit in the VIP at Priviledge when Armin was there in the past and chat to his close friends (who were lovely) so I thought, why not try it?! I managed to get into the VVIP at Cream as well on the first trip (awesome) so I recommend trying these things but not becoming a pain in the arse in the process lol. Ok, so I gave up being a pain in the arse and we headed off to CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I f*cking love Cream.

Who did we see? A bit of Duke Dumont, a bit of some other DJ I already forgot (see? lol) and then Above and Beyond came on and smashed it. The place had an atmosphere like it used to- lots of people who really WANTED to be there- loved the music and the whole place was alive and jumping :) Its the most amazing feeling when it goes off in that place....and it was going off!!!! Ilan Bluestone was next with Adam Beyer and they were awesome too- I'd definitely see them again for sure.

I remember looking up at the lighting guy (the one with long blonde hair who's been there for years)...and across the blue tinged ceiling with the cream sign dangling over us....across the crowd of smiling faces.....across to D (also smiling lol).....and thinking....I have to savour this moment.....I mean really savour it.

Would this be the last time I ever saw this place? Remarkably, in that state, tears started to well up.....this life-changing, life- enhancing, life giving place may not be in my life forever....the thought was pretty unbearable.

We walked out hand in hand, me with tears rolling down my cheeks, D his usual happy self lol ;)

And so it was, the Epic 10th trip, D and L in Ibiza, was pretty well done. One sunset and a Tapas later (drunken lol), and we were back in Bay Bar. It seems crazy to think of us both there 5 years earlier. We were both in a different place then. A hell of a lot of amazing memories had been made over those last 5 years. I'll never forget the first trip. I wont forget this one either....

I go round in circles a lot, D often teases me about it. But Ibiza and D have been so fundamental in my happiness....I find it unthinkable to lose either one of them from life. He has taught me so much, made me laugh more than anyone, been a rock when I needed him, been an arse a lot too lol, but what I see now is that we have this amazing bond between us. What a way to say goodbye to the best place in the world together. 5 years, 10 trips, countless highs and lows.....and one pinky promise. x

Back