Looking for comments on Greece...

andyd

Not sure where to look. Wish there was something like this for Greece :) Anyway, how is the partying comparable to Ibiza during the summer? We would probably end up island hoping with focus on Mykonos.

mmmmm

:eek: i been to mykonos....very cosmopolitan!....too many butch dykes and bronzed gay boys!.....didnt really appeal to me.but hey(nightlife was good..if a tad expensive)..each to there own!.found corfu to be a lot more friendly than what it was in its hayday!...crete and rhodes are higly reccomended too....but if you like it a bit quiet.....go for the island hopping option........ cheers mo 8)

andyd said:
Not sure where to look. Wish there was something like this for Greece :) Anyway, how is the partying comparable to Ibiza during the summer? We would probably end up island hoping with focus on Mykonos.

Andy, do a search on here as a few Members on here have been to the Greek Islands in particular Mykonos and had lots of good info on it.

I love the Greek Islands ... ever since we first went when I was younger, to Zante, back in 1983 ...

Although I've been a to a good fair few of the islands, I've nto been to Mykonos where, I believe, (and you'll be told by Drew) the music is "scene" is excellent!

We went to Skiathos a while back though, and the famous "Banana Beach" had some good music coming from the beach bars there ... and Skiathos town at night has to be seen !!!

Mike and I went to Santorini last year - and stayed in the most unusual Hotel ever .... set into the cliff top the swimming pool seemed to literally hang off the cliff and if you nosied up to the end of the pool it seemed as though you were going to drop into the sea !!! Fabulous !

I do seriously think that the Ibiza scene will filter out to these islands ... the best thing about it though, is it's never going to be as commercially wrecked as Ibiza.

Yes, i can confirm that Mykonos is incredibly beautiful and the nightlife is buzzing!

A different atmosphere to Ibiza's nightlife i.e. no drug scene (from what we could tell), very posey but still people were 'aving it!

Very very nice bars, restaurants, beaches and the place is quite small and easy to get around.

You MUST go to Paradise beach too. We went quite early in season so it wasn't all that busy but i can imagine in mid summer it'd easily put Bora Bora to shame. Everything about it makes Bora Bora look like a scruffy old dump.

I've also been to many other Greek islands, but the one i prefer of all them is one called Spetses which is situated somewhere out from Athens. Very difficult to get to though. We had to load of cases onto a small fishing boat, then get a horse/cart to our hotel :eek: Well worth the journey though as it's absolutely idylic 8)

Aw Drew .. that reminds me of the first time we went to Kefalonia .. It didnt have an airport .. just a gazebo type building / a shed with no sides .... we had to get our own cases off of the trolley that took them off the plane ... and we were greeted by Greeks dressed in traditional costume ... the ladies got a flower and the men a little bottle of Ouzo ! I feel very privileged to have been one of the island's first customers, because Kefalonia is one of the most stunning Greek islands.

Lefkas is a very pretty island too ... stayed there during my Greek travels .. :eek: :eek: very drug mafia !

*Saffy* said:
Aw Drew .. that reminds me of the first time we went to Kefalonia .. It didnt have an airport .. just a gazebo type building / a shed with no sides .... we had to get our own cases off of the trolley that took them off the plane ... and we were greeted by Greeks dressed in traditional costume ... the ladies got a flower and the men a little bottle of Ouzo ! I feel very privileged to have been one of the island's first customers, because Kefalonia is one of the most stunning Greek islands.

I've heard it's nice there. I have some Greek in-laws and i think one of the girls has just gone to live there.

I'd be too bored living somewhere like that, i much prefer the gridlocked, rat race don't you?

:lol:

Love the Greek Islands, love the Greek laid-back lifestyle. Been to Kos and Crete, both very nice. Get transport, drive around. Crete was a cool place for wildlife. Dolphins in the sea, eagles in the mountains, snakes in the forests. 8)

Ahhh now .. my sister and I both have this dream of having a little beach taverna on a Greek Island.

Just back from Zante today. Stayed at Limni Keriou - great studio apartment, lovely location (2 minutes walk to the jetty where my motorboat for the day was waiting ready @ £85 for 7 1/2 hours including fuel). Very cheap (relatively speaking - 50Euros for massive fillet steak & prawn surf/turf & beers in one of the most expensive places on the island, 21 Euros for whole sea bream main, starter, beer and water). Ate far too much. Island is unbelievably beautiful and some very special places. Hire car was a joke though - barely roadworthy lol. But at least I didn't have to worry about scratches. Came home with 300Euros left of my spending money - even after 60Euros for an impulsive parasailing sortie, all food/drink and 40Euros in fuel.

PS - the island is not on the migrant route - not a single asylum seeker in evidence anywhere.

When the greeks get kicked out of the euro, everyone will be out there on the next plane. A worthless drachma will make it as cheap as chips

Dunno. I had a brief love affair with Zante - lasted all of three trips. The last one was dire, probably because I'd then been to Ibiza. The nightlife is fairly horrible, lacking a certain something.. Upsides: the Greek food is lovely and the island is pretty... Guess it would be fine if you were more up for an activity holiday.

The nightlife is fairly horrible, lacking a certain something..

The nightlife isn't entirely a write-off but very limited and only at weekends really - Barrage is great and the White Party was good last year (wasn't there on a Sunday this time). Unless you want 18-30s / Sun, Sea and Suspicious Parents stuff then Laganas will no doubt delight in a drunken stupour kind of way ! Happily got 3 nights of sleep instead - which was very restful !

lol

you mean all the cars that greeks have bought that is the only thing greece will have left in assets.

next crimea should be greece.
And they will not exit, not yet, they just want to make their terms more favorable.

This is just an opinion.

edit:

russian will buy all the cars and sell them at a profit to African nations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back