London - NY Eve

agentundercover

The good lady wife and I will be in the London this year from day after boxing day to & including NYE.

Any tips on what to do for NYE?

We won't be clubbing it, so any suggestions welcomed.

Lots of us Londoners on here are clubbers/retired clubbers G-man and as any fule kno', clubbing on NYE is for amateurs, with NYD being pros' time to shine.

Personally, and I think many people are the same, even though I don't club on NYD anymore, I like to stay local on NYE. I can walk to the pub and back, drink with friends until whatever time I like at reasonable prices, with service that is slower than normal due to crowds but not unbearable.*

With the likelihood of massive crowds and poor service other places, if I were you I'd booked and a decent restaurant and take the missus for a nice meal.

*All that I said, I think I'll be in Thailand:p

*All that I said, I think I'll be in Thailand:p

why do you think he's chosen that time to go to london?

btw congrats on combining the words reasonable and prices in a sentence about lahndan. i'm still on my arse after paying £7.60 for two thimbles of sh1te wine in a sh1te pub there last october

why do you think he's chosen that time to go to london?

btw congrats on combining the words reasonable and prices in a sentence about lahndan. i'm still on my arse after paying £7.60 for two thimbles of sh1te wine in a sh1te pub there last october

All relative El Ste...

Settle down kids!

Going to see Yes Minister on NYE, that will finish around 10ish.

Assuming i'm not going to able to get my usual at the Ivy......am I near any fireworks?!

We had a nice meal in BamBou at 10pm followed by Ice Skating at Midnight at the Nat History Museum..... was good fun!!

For fireworks you need to head to the Embankment easily walkable from West End

:D

Lots of us Londoners on here are clubbers/retired clubbers G-man and as any fule kno', clubbing on NYE is for amateurs, with NYD being pros' time to shine.

^ TRUTH ^

These days, I would rather be sat on a settee at someone's house in Crouch End with some Danish bohemian girl and a glass of port in the other talking about our aspirations in life

^ TRUTH ^

These days, I would rather be sat on a settee at someone's house in Crouch End with some Danish bohemian girl and a glass of port in the other talking about our aspirations in life

Are bohemian Danes partial to 'on the other' with a glass of port Ollster?

Get up early NYD have a top notch brunch then settle into a pub and watch the hangovers come wandering in

Are bohemian Danes partial to 'on the other' with a glass of port Ollster?

I fully intend on finding out.

I was infatuated with a lovely Dane once in Barcelona in 1995, called Pernille, who painted nudes in one of the art schools off Calle Balmes. There was a free-entry bar there called Velvet which is where everybody (students, directors and their secretaries, bored tourists, sleazy arabs, loners) went for late knockings if you didn't fancy a club. All the girls behind the bar looked like they'd stepped out of a Robert Palmer hit video. We would often go there with the other international students. Heady days. She liked Mick Hucknall but despite that, was pretty classy. About as much as I can remember really. I did get her to visit when I came back to London but a friend (ex-friend) of mine came to the pub too and got drunk and disorderly and I was tarred forever by association. All quite unfortunate really. I really wanted an invite to legoland.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good lady wife and I will be in the London this year from day after boxing day to & including NYE.

Any tips on what to do for NYE?

We won't be clubbing it, so any suggestions welcomed.

Get Time Out London and familiarise yourself with the cabaret listings.

So long as you avoid all the usual touristy Cirque du Soleil stuff there's some really good alternative gems that involve a sit down meal etc. Cafe de Paris do one which is supposed to be pretty good.

The burlesque scene in London is positively thriving...but if it were me I'd opt for the trannies at Bistrotheque.

Back