London Marathon

Buckley

Who's done it? I've just been offered a place as the charity my other half is running for have had a drop out.

I've done no running for years but I'm playing a lot of football.

Is it possible for me to get ready between now and April 17?

I haven't ran the London Marathon, but i run about 30 miles a week at the mo'.

If you can do 5/6 miles now you could build up to it with a good programme.

Be a big commitment, but would mean a lot of time off the plonk :lol:

I haven't ran the London Marathon, but i run about 30 miles a week at the mo'.

If you can do 5/6 miles now you could build up to it with a good programme.

Be a big commitment, but would mean a lot of time off the plonk :lol:

Indeed!:lol:

Thing is, I've got football every Saturday and some Sundays, plus five-a-side Tuesdays and Thursdays. Don't really want to give them up.

Perhaps I can start this a few weeks into it:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices.html

Who's done it? I've just been offered a place as the charity my other half is running for have had a drop out.

I've done no running for years but I'm playing a lot of football.

Is it possible for me to get ready between now and April 17?

goalie? :D

Tom's doing the London marathon, I'm doing Brighton marathon a week before. I already had a reasonable level of fitness and was running about 20 miles a week but started serious training at the start of October and had got up to a long run of about 18 miles by December so my training was going really well. I broke a toe over Christmas so had about a month off and just getting my fitness back so I'm a bit behind schedule but am back up to 12+ miles again in one go and want to be back up to 18/20 miles by the end of this month.

The thing I would say is (if you want to run the marathon properly) it completely takes over your life. I've basically said for the next 2 months my social life is completely on hold - in a week I do one evening of hill runs, one evening of internal runs, 2 evenings of 6-8 mile runs, a long run on a Saturday and some cross-training (swimming for me) on a Sunday. I've even stopped drinking until 10th April :eek:

Saying that though I'm sure plenty of people do the marathon who have never run more than 10 or so miles in one go and will walk most of it, so you need to decide whether you want to go with that head on and do it just for the fun of it, or whether you want to do it seriously and in a certain time because if it's the latter then I'd probably say wait and do it next year and devote the time to training.

Saying that though I'm sure plenty of people do the marathon who have never run more than 10 or so miles in one go and will walk most of it, so you need to decide whether you want to go with that head on and do it just for the fun of it, or whether you want to do it seriously and in a certain time because if it's the latter then I'd probably say wait and do it next year and devote the time to training.

This is the other thing, I don't want to end getting carried by a pantomime horse for the last mile on the Monday morning:lol:. My ego won't let me do it in a really bad time, particularly when my missus is doing it and will manage ok, as she runs 10 miles a day even when not training for anything

This is the other thing, I don't want to end getting carried by a pantomime horse for the last mile on the Monday morning:lol:. My ego won't let me do it in a really bad time, particularly when my missus is doing it and will manage ok, as she runs 10 miles a day even when not training for anything

That's the thing you'll end up getting really competitive about it - when I first enterted my only goal was to get round, then you start setting yourself targets. When I broke my toe and got behind on my training, people said 'oh you can still do it and walk parts of it' but I was like 'I don't want to be beaten by people in furry costumes' :twisted::lol:

Which really is the most ludicrous thing ever, because if anyone had said to me even a couple of years ago that I would even be contemplating running a marathon then I'd thought they were having a laugh :lol:

That's the thing you'll end up getting really competitive about it - when I first enterted my only goal was to get round, then you start setting yourself targets. When I broke my toe and got behind on my training, people said 'oh you can still do it and walk parts of it' but I was like 'I don't want to be beaten by people in furry costumes' :twisted::lol:

Which really is the most ludicrous thing ever, because if anyone had said to me even a couple of years ago that I would even be contemplating running a marathon then I'd thought they were having a laugh :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, it doesn't tend to pop up in conversation at 11am Sunday morning in Fire, does it?

:lol:

Yeah, it doesn't tend to pop up in conversation at 11am Sunday morning in Fire, does it?

:oops::lol: I like to think that those 48 hour clubbing sessions have helped in our perserverance training :lol:

So ignore all what I've previously said, compared to some of the weekends of old, a marathon will seem like a walk in the park :lol:

I think commandeering a coach and sleeping half way round are frowned upon mate ;)

:lol::lol:

Really? I thought they'd give me the winners medal if I hit that sort of form.

Comandeering commercial sized vehicles is a sign of good character I reckon!

:lol::lol:

Really? I thought they'd give me the winners medal if I hit that sort of form.

Comandeering commercial sized vehicles is a sign of good character I reckon!

Id give you a medal for that mate, just not sure the people at marathon HQ see it the same way :lol:

A TV show of you commandeering vehicles has got legs imo. It can be a challenge Buckley to get 18 people / 4 pallets from London to Birmingham kinda thing ;)

Id give you a medal for that mate, just not sure the people at marathon HQ see it the same way :lol:

A TV show of you commandeering vehicles has got legs imo. It can be a challenge Buckley to get 18 people / 4 pallets from London to Birmingham kinda thing ;)

If they made 'Keith Allen Takes A Bus Load Of Tourettes Kids Around French Churches' I guess.....

Mr "I don't need to train" BG did it in 2009 after about 6 weeks of training. His longest training run was 10 miles, 2 weeks before the day, and his knees gave up on him so I had to drive to pick him up. He didn't run again until the actual day and did it in 4 hours 11 mins (with no walking breaks apparently).

He was convinced by about mile 22 that his knees were going to disintegrate and he would never walk again. And when I met him at the end I thought he was going to have a stroke. However an hour and a pint of Guinness later he looked much better.

So in answer to your question, yes it's possible but its probably going to hurt :lol:

Mr "I don't need to train" BG did it in 2009 after about 6 weeks of training. His longest training run was 10 miles, 2 weeks before the day, and his knees gave up on him so I had to drive to pick him up. He didn't run again until the actual day and did it in 4 hours 11 mins (with no walking breaks apparently).

He was convinced by about mile 22 that his knees were going to disintegrate and he would never walk again. And when I met him at the end I thought he was going to have a stroke. However an hour and a pint of Guinness later he looked much better.

So in answer to your question, yes it's possible but its probably going to hurt :lol:

I've decided against. Didn't think I could get fit enough in time to a decent time, would have interfered with football and I've got a weeks skiing coming up with attendant drinking!

My mate is running in my place.

Back