london clubbing weekend (dec 20-22nd)..guidance please

TM78

london people, if i could ask for some tips / guidance as im not too clued up on london

a group of us will will be coming down to london the weekend before xmas, staying in/around shoreditch

going to the despacio night at Hammersmith Town Hall on the friday (pretty keen for that night...looks a great concept/night looks impressive., something a bit different with an unreal setup.
http://babycakesromero.com/despacio/
http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-films/the-vinyl-only-despacio-soundsystem-james-murphy-2manydjs/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/19/4537724/lcd-soundsystem-frontman-returns-to-his-roots-with-amazing-custom-speaker-set

anyway: looks like the night finishes pretty early (midnight i think) so looking for suggestions for clubs / after party locations (preferably not a million miles & a lot of cash spent on taxi's to get too after we come out hammersmtih town hall.

not too much on offer so far from RA for that night: (none of our crowd are into drum n bass / dubstep/reggae etc)...house/disco/techno more our scene
http://www.residentadvisor.net/events.aspx?ai=13&v=week&mn=12&yr=2013&dy=20

for saturday night, going to ALFOS @ Corsica Studios.
never been in this club before, whats the general view on the place? (mates were down for the todd terje / tim sweeney night earlier in the year, they weren't overly impressed with it)

passport / driving license to get in? they scan your id?

any good recommedations for bars before it in the area?..where's the closest / best after party place once it finishes (closes at 6?)

best bars / restauraunts in shoreditch?

any info / pointers would be great.

cheers

Jaded after party is now at Corsica on Sundays so if its on that week it will start right after alfos.

There won't b much of interest going on around Hammersmith area after that party tbh

Best burger I've ever had worldwide was the other day at Lucky Chip which is the kitchen in a small pub out the back end of shoreditch.well worth the walk, might b best for afternoon lunch n you will have to wait for a table.

I know Corsica studios very well. It's a fun venue. Raw/sweaty as it should be. No idiots at all, because it's discreet, tucked away under some arches. Sound is ok, not amazing but it delivers. The alfos crowd are obv always v clued up. I personally like the music but sometimes find the 'chuggy' 122 rule a bit restrictive, but it does give then scope to play a lot of old synth stuff you wouldn't hear elsewhere. It'll be rammed. They leave jugs out at the bar though, which is nice ;)

I thought soundsystem at Corsica was one of the better ones for the space they have but I havnt been for a long time. Don't recall needing I.d but bring a drivers license in case, its abit of dodgy area so wouldn't surprise me if police have imposed I.d checks.

There are NO gd bars in that area to session before.there is a weatherspoons n that's it.Abit of a walk towards kennington is a pub which I think is called the Dog Kennel which is open late and a gd atmosphere.

Cheers for the replies people:cool:

will be handy if jaded is on after ALFOS finishes then

hoepfully something will be arranged for after despacio

Dog House thats the one. does a mean sausage n mash too.

I have a friend over from australia for one night only on the friday so also on the look out for something decent that night too

The Gladstone Arms, off Borough High Street is the closest decent bar that I can think of. Very small, nice vibe to it but maybe not exactly a pre party bar.
Better bet may be to have your pre drinks in Shoreditch/Old Street/Brick Lane. There is at least one bus which goes straight from Shoreditch to Elephant and Castle (the number escapes me now but its final destination is Clapham Junction).
Corsica is a great venue... does it not have Funktion 1 soundsystem? I actually haven't been in a while either.

Friday, as somebody already mentioned, the chances of finding something interesting on in West London are slim. I'd favour Prosumer and Soundstream at Autumn Street Studios but it is completely the other side of town... Great venue though, lots of the London "warehouse"-y venues aren't great but this one is (well done to the Bloc boys who are the ones responsible).

There's no shortage of places to go for a pint in Shoreditch but my favourite places around that area are actually the quieter ones (Prague, Nightjar, Fika on Brick Lane for their roof garden...although maybe not in Decemeber).

The Horse and Groom on Curtain Road in Shoreditch is actually probably a good place for your pre drinks on Saturday, they will have a dj on and it may be a few quid in or else normally free before 10.

DO NOT get the 35 bus which goes from shoreditch to Clapham it takes FOREVER!!! ( i got it the other day and jaysus christ it was awful) if on a bus get off at london bridge and get tube , will save you minimum half hour or more

cheers guys.

looks like were not staying in shoreditch now, got mega cheap hotel somewhere around london bridge (apparently):lol:

DO NOT get the 35 bus which goes from shoreditch to Clapham it takes FOREVER!!! ( i got it the other day and jaysus christ it was awful) if on a bus get off at london bridge and get tube , will save you minimum half hour or more

maybe not the best if you're going to Clapham but if you're going to Elephant then it's perfect? Anyway, doesn't matter now..

If you're staying at London Bridge then check out the Dean Swift for pints (down near Tower Bridge). Bermondsey Street has good food options - Del Azziz, Village East, Jose's, The Garrison. Bermondsey St Coffee is a nice little spot too and White Cube Gallery is opposite it if you're at all interested in art (it's small but tends to have interesting stuff on).

cheers rexthedog. good tips there:)

not sure what condition we will all be in on the saturday, but initial plan is to go all out xmas and go to the hyde park winter wonderland for a laugh, ice skating and assorted activtiies (i am pushing a trip to the V&A to see the 80s club to catwalk exhibit, but will see how that plays out)....then have xmas dinner then rock up to ALFOS, think a pre-corsica meet is being arranged through the alfos facebook group, so prob do that.

any recommendations for a place for xmas dinner?:)

friday, still not sure what our best options will be for after despacio finishes in hammersmith...was maybe looking at going to:the egg (yousef), crucifix lane (cats n dogs), or pacha london for umek...

Crucifix Lane is not far from you and is not such large scale as Egg , ie if u wana leave it will be an easier decision. Egg is abit of a mission to be fair. I dont know anyone who lives in london thats ever , gpne to pacha london. true story

yeah I don't know anyone that's ever gone to Pacha London either tbh but I think they are trying to change their image a bit... I'd still be a bit wary

i have a mate in transit frm australia to liverpool the night of 20th too and he wants to go large. really not sure what do even myself!

i have a mate in transit frm australia to liverpool the night of 20th too and he wants to go large. really not sure what do even myself!
but for going to corsica on the saturday night we'd probably have went to slam / luke vibert / john heckle in there on the friday. (suppose its still a safe option for us as slam are always good....we probably take them a bit for granted with seeing them so much in glasgow/edinburgh/aberdeen as well.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?530161

it could all be talk anyway, as i see the worst winter (since the last worst winter:rolleyes:) is being forecasted, so we'll probably be snowbound in a train carriage for 3 days and wont make london anyway!:)

Back