Loleatta Holloway

"You know, at one time, with the Black Box situation, I thought I was gonna lose my mind. Seriously. I almost had a nervous breakdown. I couldn't talk about it without cryin'. I'd spent so long tryin' to be an entertainer and then here's this big record in London of all places, one of the biggest records, and I'm not even getting' a credit for it? It was like, ‘How dare they?' Someone's just taken something from you, right in front of your face… For years it destroyed me, it made me a person I don't like and I'm not a bad person. But in life you get what you got comin'. You know the other day Marky Mark was on the Tv talkin' about that record and he never even mentioned my name. I'm so used to people like this that it doesn't even phase me anymore. I remember a time that would've hurt me. I've come a long way!"

I bought a black box 12 one day when I was living in spain (mainly for their version of EWF fantasy which was on the b-side - big dimitri from paris tune) and for some bizarre reason, the main track on there is called 'bright on time' (which am guessing had another vocalist and needed to be differentiated legally?) It's sad that she got ripped off - I'd like to know how many royalties she got from the endless number of tracks which seemed to sample love sensation in one form or other. Joey Negro for starters is obsessed with the track!

Back