Laptop and wireless help

I-Spy

I just had a new router delivered for my home wireless internet. For some reason my laptop will not work on it....it just comes up as ''Local Only''.
However, my ipad will work and my friends laptop will work. Also if I go into to admin area of the router and remove the password it will work then, but then it leaves my broadband open for all my neighbours to use and abuse.
I called Sky up yesterday and was 2 hours on the phone with the guy to no avail. My laptop will work perfectly at any other wireless location.
Any ideas??
A free Hawaiian Shirt to the winner 8)

PC .... Great! John's on the case...now I know there is going to be no rest til we solve this :)

try clearing your cache, see if that helps. I know you probably have done this but? Do a search of available networks does yours show up? What kind of network is it (WPA or WEP)?

Can you achieve a secure connection?

We had the same issue with Mrs Jam's laptop running Vista.

Turned out to be parts of Norton that were still left on the machine after I uninstalled it.

You can download a free Norton removal tool and see if it's this?

John... It's Windows Vista

Jay.. Not sure about WPA or WEP ...How would I find that out. Yes, did clear the cache and yes the network is showing up and it gets connected, but ''Local Only''. So I assume it's only getting as far as the modem.

Senor Jam.. Hmmmm...I think you might be onto something here. I didn't know if I still have any bits of Norton on, but just ran a removal program and it seemed to be taking something off. So I will see.

Only thing is...that I am in Ibiza right now and will not be back home until Saturday..Sorry, I should have waited until then before putting this post up as I can't test the options.
But will find a winner then ...I hope!!

When you have available networks it will have the name signal strength along with the security for the network a lock with either WEP or WPA. When you get home try again, if is doesn't work give a shout.

Hurr- fcuking-ray!
Did it.
I reinstalled the driver for the wireless card.
Quite surprised the Sky guy didn't come up with that one.

Back