Kenny Carpenter - new mix online

Qaraj'

kennynewmix.jpg

http://www.qaraj.com/kennycarpenter

Carpenter reckons it's all going to shit

"I used to really enjoy going to clubs in the early 70's and after a short time I got a job working the lights for some of the most famous jocks of that era. Playing music wasn't simple during those days, You really had to know what you were doing because most of the songs were live recordings, There was nothing digital at that time.

I really appreciate technological advances because it's made my life, and work easier but it's been a blessing and a curse. Nowadays it seems like anyone can become a DJ, We're in a Press-N-Play celebrity DJ world. First there was Paris Hilton, and Now Shaquille O'neal. When I started to play music I wasn't looking to be a star, I wanted to act as a link, or a vessel that could channel the energy of the singer, musician or producer to you. I learned from some of the greats how to tell a story or send a message with music to my audience. Those skills seem to be almost extinct now,

During the PG, 54 & Loft era we cared deeply about the music we heard but now people don't know the name of the last track played or the next one, and they don't seem to care. There seems to be a rebellion against hearing any songs in some clubs, especially if it's soulful. People don't know how to dance anymore and the stand there staring lovingly at the console, wishing they could get up there to snap a pic with the jock so they can post it on their Instagram page." (Fb 17 apr)

Hell, even in the late 90's, having to run to the record store after work to get there before anyone else to see whats left of the new shipment, waiting in line to use a turntable like a peasant. You got to know your tracks inside out, not only because of the trouble it took to obtain them, but then having to fit them into the arsenal you already had, beatmatching maybe two completely different tempo, (or genre with no key lock option on them record players) tracks together got you really in "touch" with your tracks.

Back