Journalists....

I think Mick, Stephen, and James work as the resident Spotlight Journalists ;) :p

No, but I work with them... and they are evil :evil:

I've done some journalist work in the past. What's the question?

Morbyd said:
No, but I work with them... and they are evil :evil:

I've done some journalist work in the past. What's the question?

Am thinking of a bit of a career change...may do a postgrad...just looking for a bit of general advice really...

It's a tough industry. In the UK, the competition for stories and scoops is mighty intense.

The tabloid culture in the UK means you've basically got to sell your soul and write crap/filth/lies/inuendo (i.e. unconfirmed info) to get ahead, unless you've just got a lot of really good, reliable contacts in whatever subject you're covering.

You could write about business, but there you've usually got to bring something extra to the table (experience, contacts, biz degree).

What kind of journalism interests you?

our very own nick clayton is a real proper journalist who writes for the scotsman (and dj mag in ibiza) and manages to live here as well.

Morbyd said:
It's a tough industry. In the UK, the competition for stories and scoops is mighty intense.

The tabloid culture in the UK means you've basically got to sell your soul and write crap/filth/lies/inuendo (i.e. unconfirmed info) to get ahead, unless you've just got a lot of really good, reliable contacts in whatever subject you're covering.

You could write about business, but there you've usually got to bring something extra to the table (experience, contacts, biz degree).

What kind of journalism interests you?

I've worked for newspapers for year actually, in advertising. At the moment I work on a business title, and I mates with some of the journalists here, so there might be the chance of some work experience. In an ideal world I would be interested in arts reviews, theatre, music and so on, but I'm willing to sell my soul! Ideally I'd like to go freelance and do different things that interest me...

well why not just start writing articles and flirt them out to mags/papers that might be interested?

I've got a couple of pieces in the next issue that's out - on Sonar and T In The Park.

stephen said:
well why not just start writing articles and flirt them out to mags/papers that might be interested?

That's probably the best idea. I'm quite busy with a course at the moment, but will start doing some stuff asap.

synchronicity said:
stephen said:

That's probably the best idea. I'm quite busy with a course at the moment, but will start doing some stuff asap.

It's probably best doing some more on the side first to see if you really want it as your full-time career.

I wanted to be a journalist when I was at uni and was one of the editors for the uni paper and had been asked to do stuff that I couldn't commit to whilst studying. Then when I graduated, I realised that it wouldn't be all rosey and that I needed a regular income. That's the problem with being a journalist - unless you work very hard (or are extremely lucky) you won't know how much money is coming in from one month to the next and having a mortgage to pay, I couldn't cope with that added stress. So to cut a long story short, I ended up working with the media, in PR and am now in marketing. I'd been writing bits and bobs, mainly unpaid, for a friend's website and then having had some positive remarks about some of my articles, I decided to email them to magazines that I'd like to write for and IDJ (and a couple of others) got back to me. So, now I'm writing on topics that I love and getting paid to go clubbing! I certainly couldn't envisage doing it as my main career though.

But if it's something you want to do - go for it!

Clara said:
synchronicity said:
stephen said:

It's probably best doing some more on the side first to see if you really want it as your full-time career.

I wanted to be a journalist when I was at uni and was one of the editors for the uni paper and had been asked to do stuff that I couldn't commit to whilst studying. Then when I graduated, I realised that it wouldn't be all rosey and that I needed a regular income. That's the problem with being a journalist - unless you work very hard (or are extremely lucky) you won't know how much money is coming in from one month to the next and having a mortgage to pay, I couldn't cope with that added stress. So to cut a long story short, I ended up working with the media, in PR and am now in marketing. I'd been writing bits and bobs, mainly unpaid, for a friend's website and then having had some positive remarks about some of my articles, I decided to email them to magazines that I'd like to write for and IDJ (and a couple of others) got back to me. So, now I'm writing on topics that I love and getting paid to go clubbing! I certainly couldn't envisage doing it as my main career though.

But if it's something you want to do - go for it!

hmm...food for thought. you're right about the income fluctuation issue - that would be problematic.

I'd be interested to read some of your stuff though Clara...any chance of PM-ing me?

synchronicity said:
I'd be interested to read some of your stuff though Clara...any chance of PM-ing me?

This was particularly protracted plan compared to a straight 'How YOU doin'?' Synch! :lol:

It's good you've learnt to vary your approach :p

Buckley said:
synchronicity said:

This was particularly protracted plan compared to a straight 'How YOU doin'?' Synch! :lol:

lol :lol: :lol:

good strategy wasn't it?!! :lol:

Buckley said:
synchronicity said:

Hahahahahaha.... Fu*kin brilliant :D:D:D:D

Back