Is Derry merry?

Beckiboo

Haha... what a witty title :lol:

Jon and myself have landed ourselves in a bit of a conundrum. We've booked flights to go to Ireland (Derry) at the end of Jan 09. The original plan was to share a cottage with a couple of friends, have a nice relaxing weekend in Letterkenny doing countryside walks, pub lunches etc. Our friend's family are from Letterkenny and she was going to show us the town! Plus they were picking us up from the airport etc.

Now due to unforseen circumstances the other couple wont be going... leaving me and Jon with two return flights to Derry, absolutely NO idea what it will be like up there, or where to go / what to do.

Has anyone ever been to Derry or that area (think it's Donegal?) Is there much to do there? Is it worth going for a long weekend? I guess we could still hire a car and travel to Letterkenny, I've heard it's quite nice there :confused:

The flights were reasonably cheap so I guess we could just not go.... plus it's going to be freeeezing that time of year. Hmmm :?:lol:

Damn I'm out of decent "erry"'s !!:lol:

But in response to your question, and although having never been there myself, it sounds like a great xmas break. Countryside and cottages and country pubs.

Give it a whirl, unless you have more tempting offers at home or elsewhere..

You must not be quite so contrary
For you've yet to use the word query

Those don't rhyme with Derry! Not even in an American accent :lol:

I guess we can hire a car and still go to Letterkenny. Just makes everything more expensive grrr. And I'd never even heard of the place until my friend suggested it! Now we've been lumbered with the holiday lol.

Oh well, it could be a nice relaxing break :)

Or it could p1ss it down the whole time and be cold and depressing :eek::lol:

Haha... what a witty title :lol:

Jon and myself have landed ourselves in a bit of a conundrum. We've booked flights to go to Ireland (Derry) at the end of Jan 09. The original plan was to share a cottage with a couple of friends, have a nice relaxing weekend in Letterkenny doing countryside walks, pub lunches etc. Our friend's family are from Letterkenny and she was going to show us the town! Plus they were picking us up from the airport etc.

Now due to unforseen circumstances the other couple wont be going... leaving me and Jon with two return flights to Derry, absolutely NO idea what it will be like up there, or where to go / what to do.

Has anyone ever been to Derry or that area (think it's Donegal?) Is there much to do there? Is it worth going for a long weekend? I guess we could still hire a car and travel to Letterkenny, I've heard it's quite nice there :confused:

The flights were reasonably cheap so I guess we could just not go.... plus it's going to be freeeezing that time of year. Hmmm :?:lol:

Used to go to Uni in Derry.

The craic is mighty in it, but I wouldn't expect any top name DJs or anything... its more of a pub/bar town. Theres a great bar in the city centre call Peadar O'Donnells & The Gweedore Bar. Great atmosphere and powerful craic!

Theres loads to see as well and lots of history... if you've never been its worth a trip.

Oh plus you've got the booze cruise on the foyle... you'd be surprised how many people go on it, even during the winter.

J

Has anyone ever been to Derry or that area (think it's Donegal?) Is there much to do there? Is it worth going for a long weekend?
A very good friend is from Donegal, he says its beautiful, but thats about it. He couldnt wait to get out of there (to come out of the closet though :rolleyes:). I'm seeing him tonite (oo er) so i'll ask for do's and dont's ;)

Love Derry (that accent too is mmmmmm on women;)) great spot for a night out allbeit quiet small, best to stick to the smallish city centre and DON'T say LONDON(sic) Derry (it's not the correct name anyway)

City Hotel is recommended, never been on a booze cruise but if Jay recommends it then id say go for it.

Nicest looking birds in the whole country,stunners, and that accent (did i say that already:oops::lol:)

Fit birds with nice accents! Right I'm DEFINATELY going!

Just a passing comment:lol:

It's a nice little city and you should have a very enjoyable time, if you get a chance hire a car and go see Giants Causeway up the coast of Antrim the most stunning scenary in Ireland.

Back