Ireland travel advice

Morbyd

At the risk of ridicule from El Ste...

I know some of you have been to Ireland and others are from there.

What would you do if you had 4-5 days on the Emerald Isle?

Obviously a look see around Dublin (favorite tourist spots?) but what about day trips of particular interest?

Pack an umbrella. It's like Seattle with grass an cows!
:lol:

I took a class in university on early Irish civilization (no recollection as to why :lol:). The whole thing with cows is hilarious.
Piss off a neighbor? You owe them a cow. Kill someone - that's going to cost you a bunch of cows. Every crime had an "honor price" measured in cows :lol:

I can sell you a cow if you like.

Amazing what gullible yanks will buy in our land of leprechauns. :)

what month do you intend to travel and what do you normally go for when on holidays? Culture, Sport, Food, sightseeing, events??

We're talking 2nd week of May.
It's not actually for me - there's a chance I might fly in to Dublin for the weekend though.
All of the above, really. Something in the city and places to go to get out in the country.

Heineken Cup Final is the 17th of May at the Aviva Stadium. If an Irish team gets to the final it will be a great experience. Munster and Ulster are our best chances. Hotels will be full that weekend and there will be a buzzing atmosphere.

A good and easy way to see the city (Dublin) is to take the dart (train) from Connoly station out to Bray. Its route takes you along the coastline with some beautiful views. Take a walk around the promenade in Bray and stop for something to eat. The Dart runs every hour so no problem getting back.

Go see a hurling match the first round of the championship will be underway.

Visit Kilkenny castle and the city. I would also suggest Galway (west coast) and head up north to Donegal, Mayo or Derry which is city of Culture in Europe this year. Cork is also a good city to visit.

Will suggest a few more ideas later

Great start. Thanks!
Ya, if anything else comes to mind, do let me know.
I'm thinking the group that's going will want to spend a lot of time outside Dublin, then celebrate one of their birthdays in the city on the 12th (it's the week leading up to that date that they'll be there)

We have friends who live in Achill island, county Mayo on the west coast. When we visit I always compare it to been like the Yorkshire Dales or lake district with the added bonus of the bright blue Atlantic Ocean and amazing beaches!
One of my favourite places in the world!

proposed to my wife there some years ago.

If you ever make it near Donegal, check out Kinnego Bay or in particular Ballymastocker Bay, proper post card beaches

I apparently started this thread but I have no recollection of doing so :lol:
Worse yet, I don't remember for whom I would have been asking
I did make it to Ireland myself in 2018, thanks to the missus who gave me a trip for my birthday. Lovely place.
Dublin, southeast castles, the Blarney stone, Killarney, Galway and the cliffs of Moher were highlights, but the real kicker was this :cool:

35050830_10156153033440325_2857920867105505280_o.jpg

The island of Skellig Michael (aka "Ahch-To" in the movies)

Last edited:
Back