ipod help (again)

jjinit

I wonder if you can help, Im getting very desperate & frustrated
I have a 5th generation 30gb video ipod, its about 15mths old. I recently moved my itunes library from a pc to a new laptop, using a proceedure I got from the apple website. This was relatively straightforward and everything continued to work fine. Then a problem occurred in that I had copied some more music to my itunes library on the new laptop, then once I had finished and then went to sync to the ipod, the music would start to copy over and then would stop and then the error message would appear on screen saying
The ipod "Jays ipod" could not be synced because the required folders cannot be found
I took it to the apple shop and they reset the software and tested it and it seemed to work ok, thenI got it home but had the same problem, I also reset the ipod my end which didn’t help either. Then a new error message appeared generated by windows, suggesting that I perform a scan & search on the ipod as some of the files were damaged. This I did, it took an hour or so and when I tried it, it worked, 3500 songs back on the ipod, no trouble.
All was well for about 2 weeks, I even put some more music on the library and transferred onto the ipod with no problems, and then the other night, it happened again, got to around 130 items synced and then "bam" same error message as before
The ipod "Jays ipod" could not be synced because the required folders cannot be found
I tried to do the scan & fix thing again, as the message appeared again, however it wont do it as "windows cannot find the device/disk/folder"
Im really stuck here
Any ideas?
Please!!!

Have you been "ejecting" the iPod before you unplug it from your computer?

It sounds like the errors you get when you just disconnect it.

Have you been "ejecting" the iPod before you unplug it from your computer?

It sounds like the errors you get when you just disconnect it.

that only applies if you "enabkle disk mode"

and no the error occurs approx 150 songs in to a 4000 song download

get one of these ;)

105118_4lo.jpg

i did have one identical to that. used to try to breakdance on the corner of our street on an old piece of lino!! :lol:

but re the advice..........the words chocolate & fireguard spring to mind!!!

that only applies if you "enabkle disk mode"

and no the error occurs approx 150 songs in to a 4000 song download
Na, I'm pretty sure the eject thing is necessary no matter what.

If you don't do it, it can leave anomalies that cause problems later. I had that happen with my iPod Nano but after a full reset, music re-load, and contientious "ejecting", no problems.

You could also just have a defected iPod. Exchange it!

It's coz the original source of the files in your IPOD have been moved. When you move the destination folder of music, you need to reload all songs too or locate them individually, which takes ages. I'm not positive about this but I'd try deleting all songs off your Itunes, then reloading them into them thus giving them the correct source folders... ?

It's coz the original source of the files in your IPOD have been moved. When you move the destination folder of music, you need to reload all songs too or locate them individually, which takes ages. I'm not positive about this but I'd try deleting all songs off your Itunes, then reloading them into them thus giving them the correct source folders... ?

I think you are in the right ballpark. I have been on some forums today and it seems quite a common problem, the recurring thing that seems to fix it is to uninstall & re-install itunes, then restore ipod and start again. Its a bit of a ball ache as I had a few playlists set up which have over a 1000 songs in each one, but it's better than the way things are :evil:

ive told him the exact same thing for the last 3 mnths and even drew him idiot style diagrams to what he needed to do!

:lol:

Each iTune song is essentially just a shortcut to access the original file located on your hard drive. So if you have moved the files on your hard drive, the shortcut still tries to locate it at it's initial location, unsuccessfully. If you really care about your playlists you can load each song on song within iTunes and it will give you an option to locate the song in it's new location, but this is a painful process. You don't neccessarily need to uninstall everything and restore etc. but if your gonna delete everything then you may as well. As lovely and brilliant as iPod's are, its painful some of things you need to do in order to get them working properly, especially the older models. Have fun !

Back