invent a genre

grego

just for a laugh, let's invent a dance music genre or subgenre that is viable.

it has to fit a sound of music that exists at the moment.

use of the word progressive is banned i think cos it's just bollox.

i'm guessing house or tech should/might make an appearance.

any takers, put a track alongside it so we can see.

olly - i expecting plenty from you

The first track I thought of was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg4kSli9Ztg

65DOS - bits of everything in there in 4 minutes, part obscure, part ambient, part full on. Not everyone's cup of tea by a long shot but probably one of the best bands to ever come out of the UK.
Genre wise.... tech / rock / f**k knows fusion.

not listened to any 65DOS for a while. Think I rinsed their first album. Some of it just sounds like a horror movie... and thats a good thing.

am in office at mo, so no youtube alas

here's a few from me

you can work out for yourselves which are real and which are not so real

'crab step' - new sub mutant strain of grime, first heard on the South Coast

'tartan techno' - scottish variation of happy hardcore - music with bounce and made from girders

'wendy house' - a disparaging term mixmag came up with recently to denigrate the new breed of producers making autotune-dependent dance music.

'electrolux' - tony de vit-esque hoover sound updated for 2010

Biblical Techno - The likes of which Dave Clarke played at Glade last year and thus was christened

CrunchStep - An amalgamation of Chunky , Crunk and Dubstep

Last edited by a moderator:
''Gorgonzola House''-The more stronger strain of ''Cheesey House'' derived from the Italian regions of Piedmont and Lombardy.

''Pogo Dub Skank''-Deep bass driven dub style skank beats.A genre popular amongst the ''Columbian nose bag connoisseur's The term ''Pogo'' derives from the dance style that is used.

Chav Bounce ?

R 'n' Bollox ?

- Pretty difficult when youve not had a Rowntrees Random

Progressive dance-pop

It actually might be refreshing. I cannot recall any dance-pop song that would be progressive. But in the other hand, it would be kinda difficult to sing along because there wouldn't be any choruses.

I haven't labelled any for a while, but my most recent are; backdoor trance (for those into electro/house who were a little surprised by the trance riffs of Deadmau5) and semi-detached house, which I coined at the death-bed of minimal (in the UK at least) around 2008/09, when house beats took over but there was yet to be the funk in house music.

some good ones.

but only tech jazz is sounding viable to me, as much as i like the idea of trying to get gorgonzola house into common usage.

any more boring ones people have got?!

Back