Internet Providers

Emma_1983

Can anyone give me any tips on who is best Internet provider wise?

We have been debating whether to get Sky or not but have since decided to just get Internet and a phone line installed for now - someone at work recommended Talk Talk, any tips?

We have talk talk for house line and bb. Cheap as chips for entry level and few problems nowadays with the bb.

Beware though, the basic package IS cheap but call costs are not that cheap unless you start adding extras for cheap evening and weekend calls etc.

As for who is the best internet provider, depends how much you want to pay. I suspect you only mean for general home usage, in which case cheaper the better really.

We have talk talk for house line and bb. Cheap as chips for entry level and few problems nowadays with the bb.

Beware though, the basic package IS cheap but call costs are not that cheap unless you start adding extras for cheap evening and weekend calls etc.

As for who is the best internet provider, depends how much you want to pay. I suspect you only mean for general home usage, in which case cheaper the better really.

Yeah I had a look at Talk Talks cheap/essential package - to be honest we only want it for the internet, we dont even really want a phone line as we use our mobiles but of course you have to have one fitted dont you now to get the Internet

My parents have just got rid of Talk talk as it never worked properly.

I have o2 broadband and have no complaints, you get a discount if you have a O2 mobile too.

Depends how you describe "Best"

I did years with Freeserve which became Wanadoo, which became Orange Broadband.

Very cheap but kept having connectivity problems, customer service was a disgrace and I eventually set fire to their Orange box thing in the back garden.

I now pay more per Month for Freeola but I can speak to a UK based human 24/7 and have only had one problem when a new router failed to set up (which they sorted on the phone).

They chuck in static IP's and I got a discounted domain name and 60GB of online storage. Rolling agreement so I can cancel with a Months notice at any time.

You get what you pay for.

As an aside, I'm now working in the mobile Broadband sector and in 6 to 12 Months it will be worth a look. No (BT) line rental and speeds of up to 46Mbps through a SIM card based device.

Products are coming that will have Ethernet ports and Wi-fi but use a mobile network rather than a land line.

So don't sign anything longer than 12 Months!

You get what you pay for.

Agree entirely. For my office connectivity I use Andrews & Arnold, they are the dogs but not cheap for daytime usage.

As an aside, I'm now working in the mobile Broadband sector and in 6 to 12 Months it will be worth a look. No (BT) line rental and speeds of up to 46Mbps through a SIM card based device.

Products are coming that will have Ethernet ports and Wi-fi but use a mobile network rather than a land line.

So don't sign anything longer than 12 Months!

Interesting. I have found 3G & HSDPA (?) to be a total damp squib, probably the biggest let down of the past ten years. Any further development would be most welcome.

Interesting. I have found 3G & HSDPA (?) to be a total damp squib, probably the biggest let down of the past ten years. Any further development would be most welcome.

HSPA+ is coming and LTE (4G) not far down the line.

Most networks today are running at 3.6 or 7.2MBps but upgrades to 14.4 are already hitting some countries and many are jumping straight to 21.1 early next year.

42MBps will come in later next year and when that arrives, hold on to your hats!

It will take a while for the competitiveness of networks to drive the pricing down so I reckon 12-18 Months before you can say goodbye to your landline...

But Jammy, admit it, you rarely get those speeds consistently, do you?

I've got an "unlimited" cable line at the moment that tops out at 32mB. I don't see 4G (WiMax or LTE) really consistently topping that any time soon....

That depends on your local cell site.

Point is that mobile connectivity will overtake landline based systems in 12-18 Months.

My experiences of mobile bb / 3g have been nothing other than shocking. Try and use internet in an area where a few people are doing the same and it's gridlock. Unless there is massive investment in new / better masts, I can't see how mobile bb will ever take off?

Even on full bars and HSPA in central Leeds, internet access is pants. I have tried every network other than 3g trying to get decent 3g intenert around Leeds, all are dire.

I love gadgets and new technology but my faith in the mobile networks is zilch. I used to be a new phone every six / twelve months guy. Since the 3g/ HSPA debacle I have kept the same phone nearly three years!

Mobile Broadband... AVOID!

Today, in certain areas, absolutely.

However, I'm not talking about today...

Truth is that there has been little advancement, or more specifically investment in data speeds or cell capacity for 7 odd years.

Most Operators paid huge amounts for the licenses, so it was not commerically viable to invest further in what was (at least then) untested waters.

Now that some have recouped a large proportion of their capital, it is pushing ahead now.

don't forget that there are many emerging countries where fixed line has a low adoption rate. The mobile Operators in these countries will see a much faster uptake and reap faster rewards. Products are already coming out now that are in effect mobile routers. Box on the dashboard of the car / bus / truck and a wifi signal broadcast to everyone onboard.

The new devices have better cell locking capability and cancel out the "noise" from neighbouring sites. Some also have dual carrier capability wich effectively doubles up your speed, and operators are also broadcasting on multiple frequencies from sites which improves capacity.

Give it 1-2 years and it will be like comparing dial up to Broadband.

The above sounds like a step in the right direction.

BT and other fixed line providers are presumably not too concerned at the competition from mobile broadband considering their massive investment in 21CN.

It is currently frustrating when using a speed test site and learning that some third world country with a gdp of £1,000 has faster internet speeds than the uk!!

I hope it takes off, I'm sure mobile comms is exciting market to be involved with at the moment. I remember those insane bidding wars to get the contracts. That is the stuff government ministers must have wet dreams about, selling a chunk of nothing for billions!

Back