Info for the Xmas period - shop opening times, church etc...

celine

Hi all,

I am back for the Christmas period, with all the family staying at ours for the festivities (aouch, that's 9 mouths to feed....).

Unfortunately I don't get to IBZ till the 23rd in the afternoon, so my food shopping time is rather restricted..... I'd better be well organised!

So, here are my questions for you permanent locals:

1) What time is Hipercentro (Ibiza town) open, and what days over the Xmas NY period? (I have tried their website but the info is not there)

2) Same questions for the indoor market of Ibiza town (I mean the large one, not the one by the Croissant Show), I will need a lot of fresh seafood and stuff.....

3) Some of the family will want to go to church on the 24 evening of 25 in the morning. Can someone let me have the timetable of the church for San Rafael and Sta Gertrudis?

I have asked my local friends a few times, but they still have not come back to me with info..... I know one of you out there will get back to me sharply!!

Thanks for your help guys!!

Celine

christmas and new year aren't quite the same here as in britain. the shops will be closed on the public holidays 25th 26th 1st and 6th. they'll be open as normal the rest of the time. the hiper won't be open on 24th as it's a sunday (unless it opens specially) but the eroski supermarkets will probably be open on sunday am as normal (though it's a bit hit and miss with them on their winter opening hours since they wiped out all opposition!)

here's my tip - order your meat, cheese, mince pies, christmas puddings etc etc in advance from peter the butcher and collect it when you arrive. i'll pmail you his phone number if you're interested - it's how i do it.

the church service starts on the dot of midnight and round our road all the celebrations start - the bars open, the band in the marquee cranks up, and the bbq's are lit at about 1 am till dawn.

merry christmas

Same questions for the indoor market of Ibiza town (I mean the large one, not the one by the Croissant Show), I will need a lot of fresh seafood and stuff.....
according to today's DDI, the mercado nuevo also opens on sunday 24th and sunday 31st. i suppose it will be open till 2pm like the rest of the week.....

btw, on sundays you dont have to pay to park on the blue zones so you will save a few euros ! !

mercat-nou-2.jpg

http://www.eivissaweb.com

Thanks, that's perfect...

Also, do you know if there is a church mass on the morning of the 25th? Idially in Sta Gertrudis or San Rafael, and at what time?

Cheers Makkie

santa gertrudis:
· morning - 12
· afternoon - 18.30

san rafael:
· morning - NONE (only on special ocasions..... the same priest do santa ines/mor. and san rafael/aft.)
· afternoon - 17.30 or 18.....

the patio of san rafael church from l'elephant roof terrace:

178380631_76c9c51b5b.jpg

copyright.gif
flickr

Back