Im tackling the train companies head on

jjinit

Got issued with panalty fare at Victoria the other week, as I didnt have time to wait in the massive queue at my station. So paid the £4 single and went on my way. Now being chased for the £16, i wrote them saying why I had to get on before I bought a ticket, ie had to be in work for important meeting, there were about 30 exchange students at ticket office, I had waited in excess of 5 mins (which is the reasonable rush hour limit according to DOT guidelines) so had to get on train to avoid being late. Got a letter back from the ironically named Independent Penalty Fares Appeal Service,( I say that because it is a subsiduary of SE trains, operating from their HQ and run by their staff) saying they were dismissing my appeal, i didnt incidentally appeal, I just said I wasnt paying the £16, which I also told them was now £13.90 as I had to go to work via charing cross and the district line one morning that week as there were no victoria trains. Anyway next i get a letter saying it is now £36 and that if I didnt pay up they will issue criminal proceedings against me and I could face £1000 and 3 months in prison.

I have now wrote back this morning and challenged them on the following basis:

1/ The penalty fare notice issued states is was issued at waterloo east not Victoria therefore is technically invalid anyway

2/ Recovery of a penatly fare is a civil matter not criminal. therefore they have no grounds threatening me. In fact if they want to get the £13.90 they will have to sue me.

3/ the only instance where a criminal offence can occur is if you fail to give valid name and address when asked or where I have made a deliberate attempt to not pay, I paid the single fare at Victoria.

4/ There attempt you use criminal proceedings to recover a civil debt are tantamount to demanding money with menaces or blackmail, which contravenes the theft act of 1968, under which I have grounds to proescute them.

I'll update you as and when!!

fallingdown.jpg

4/ Their attempt to use criminal proceedings to recover a civil debt are tantamount to demanding money with menaces or blackmail, which contravenes the theft act of 1968, under which I have grounds to proescute them.

I'll update you as and when!!

Nice one. Must remember that :lol: !

Good luck if you pursue this.

Personally I would pay up, fare dodging is a criminal offence and they would probably get a conviction easily enough, magistrates don't deal with democracy and justice too well.

Personally I would pay up, fare dodging is a criminal offence and they would probably get a conviction easily enough, magistrates don't deal with democracy and justice too well.

I most definitely wouldn't.

Stand your ground and hold the space I say.

Be unemotional and mechanical in your responses, take nothing personally and don't hold onto any of the bitterness (as that's a crippling waste of energy).

;)

read my post again, only deliberately trying to dodge paying (eg jumping barriers) and failing to give name and address is a criminal offence.

I most definitely wouldn't.

Stand your ground and hold the space I say.

Be unemotional and mechanical in your responses, take nothing personally and don't hold onto any of the bitterness (as that's a crippling waste of energy).

;)

cheers Rob, thats exactly how I have been, you could almost say I have been polite!

I hope this doesnt cause you to go off the rails. Keep on track with it and I am sure things will be full steam ahead with your complaint in no time.

I'd find out who the Managing Director of the 'Independent Penalty Fares Appeal Service' is, and write to them personally.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with you comrade JJ. Got a ticket as a result of a parking meter being not in use on Saturday. England expects.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with you comrade JJ. Got a ticket as a result of a parking meter being not in use on Saturday. England expects.

Incidentally, Im currently challenging one of those too, the missus got to a metre 3 mins late because she had to clean up my daughter who had a had a vomitting fit in the shops, still got a ticket. daughter was on antibitiocs at the time, so have sent copy of prescription along with letter stating the above, got knocked back as expected so is now at formal appeal stage, will obviously keep you updated, I assume you have challenged it?

Incidentally, Im currently challenging one of those too, the missus got to a metre 3 mins late because she had to clean up my daughter who had a had a vomitting fit in the shops, still got a ticket. daughter was on antibitiocs at the time, so have sent copy of prescription along with letter stating the above, got knocked back as expected so is now at formal appeal stage, will obviously keep you updated, I assume you have challenged it?

I salute your dedication to the cause but am picturing the need to employ a few account managers to take care of all these parallel disputes!

Back