If you don't know anything about Kurruption...Read here!

Zoelee

Hi Guys... I'm new to the site do thought I'd give you an introduction to my London house/breaks/electro event. .........................

Interview With Kurruption Promoter Zoelee
Reported By Annabel ( Most Wanted)

Explain to us briefly, for the benefit of those that don’t know, what is Kurruption?

Kurruption is a house/breaks/electro event that brings London some of the finest fast rising talent around! The DJs all play many different styles and adapted to each event and venue. I have 2 Resident DJs –Tommy Four Seven and Alex Parsons and 10 Rotation DJs.Our first Major party was held over 3 rooms of Hidden in November but I’m taking things back to monthly from Feb 2006. I pride myself on Kurruption having a full on party vibe so the perfect venue is vital!
I also run Kurruption as a kind of agency…Supplying all my DJs to events over London. That is not something that was meant to happen it’s just that lots of event organizers started coming to me on a regular basis asking for me to suggest new talent for their house rooms!

What spurred you on to start it?

I used to live in Acton at the Captain Cook/ U4ria. Living above a club and popping into see what was happening every weekend was enough to wet my appetite for promoting. I’m afraid I’m one of those people who thinks I can always make things better and I was sure I could come up with my own great line ups and get a party going myself. So here we are!

Before starting your project, what clubs did you used to go to?

To be honest I was never much of a huge Clubber. I went to the usual Frantic, Heat and Most wanted Events but was never fully aware of all the smaller events until a few months after I started out with Kurruption. It proved really important to know what events of my size were up to and also to get out and about to see what the crowds were really liking week in week out. I spent a bit of time at The End but the majority of my time was spent either at the Cook or in bars. Now I’m everywhere!

Which DJs do you look after, and where can we see them?

Resident DJs: Tommy Four Seven and Alex Parsons.
Rotation DJs: Trent Anthony, Phill Noda, Lizzie Curious, Tom Allan, Mark Bowler, Vandal, Chops, Mark Nash, CD & Nathan Larkin.
If anyone needs to book any of the DJs I can generally point them in the right direction.
As for their next events, the best place to find all that out is on www.clubkurruption.co.uk. The DJs each have a page there which we try and keep as up to date as possible. Otherwise I’m all over the place on the net spreading the news. The next event for us is on the 18th February @ the EP Loune in Farringdon....finally our own home again!

You’re known for being able to spot fresh new talent. What do you look for in a Dj?

It’s quite simple really! I look for DJs that can Mix and Progress their music well and have a real passion for it. I like to look for fresh new talent to give those that wouldn’t normally get a chance to play out that chance. It is often those DJs that spend all their time practicing at home that never get heard and they have so much to offer due to the amount of time they invest in something that means so much to them. It is difficult as a DJ to get into clubs/bars etc if you are not aware of how the industry works and I’m in the position to give a few of them a chance!

What is the ethos behind Kurruption. How are you different from other parties and Dj management agencies?

I like to use the word ‘Party’ rather than ‘event’ as it seems to sum us up better. Lots of people have commented on how different the crowd is at Kurruption. We have a strong antipodean following and the Kurruption DJs have a large group of Friends that just seem to follow them to their gigs rather than gong clubbing every weekend. If you are out clubbing every weekend I feel the buzz of it all is going to start to fade. Our crowd seems to gear up for one of our parties and then let loose!
As for the management agency – that is in its first stages! The advantage of booking one of my DJs is that events can just call me up, explain what music style they want and I can suggest which DJs suit the needs of their events. I’m pretty clued up on who’s playing where in the house rooms and am passionate about fitting the right DJs into the right line up. I haven’t had much experience with other management agencies as I tend to work with what we have but I have a feeling I’m probably a lot more relaxed about it all…Which doesn’t mean I don’t do a good Job!

What parts of the London Clubbing scene are doing it for you at the moment?

I get out and about quite a bit, but to be honest with you I think I need to try some events I haven’t been to before. I went to Playtime at the Egg the other week and found that pretty good. I’m looking forward to Chew the Fat on 23rd Dec as I’ve heard great things about that party also.

What’s the future of Kurruption. What parties do you have lined-up for the first half of 2006?

Well, where the party is concerned we are starting the year off hosting the house room for Twisted at the Fridge. I then plan to take the rest of January off before we start back with the monthly event. My DJs are starting to get bookings for next year and will no doubt be as busy as ever. Just keep an eye out for me on the sites as I’m consistently up dating everyone there!

What do you like to get up to in your spare time? That is of course if you get time for some.

Hmmm, I spend a lot of time either at work or promoting etc. I seem to have recently picked up a very strange habit of late night Sainsbury shopping…It’s hard enough finding time for that! Lol!
Music pretty much dominates my life, but I don’t have a problem with that ;)

What do you think are going to be the musical trends for 2006, and who should we watch out for?

I’d like to say Disco is going to come back but I’d hate to get my hopes up!! You guys are just all too cool to admit you like it. 
Seriously though, Jackin’ house seems to be rising fast in popularity at the moment. I’d hope to hear more of that out and about….and any demo’s welcome may I add! I also predict there will be more of a techno- influenced edge to the new tracks of 2006.
I’m Biased I know but I’m tipping Alex Parsons and Tommy Four Seven for the top next year. They have releases due out in January and February on Block and Brique Rouge. Two very talented young DJs and producers to watch out for!

Back