Ibiza Taxis

Yikes. It has worked really well for me, including over the winter here and we live in the middle of the campo.

a few things on taxis.

this year so far, my personal experience:
- ordering over phone has worked fine so far, no crazy long waiting times like last year. but then again it's only june now. also, when ordered, it never took long for one to arrive. so that's good.

- the app is still not great. twice I tried to order a taxi from somewhere remote where it's tricky to explain them over the phone - and that is what the app actually should be for. you send them your current location and they come. tried twice, both times the order was cancelled from their side. that is really frustrating and this needs to improve immediately.

- lastly, UBER arrives on the island of MALLORCA today. imo it's about time the market gets some competition and I think it's only a matter of time until they disembark here in ibiza too. it might not be this season anymore and maybe, if the local taxi sector do their job well this year (after a honestly brutally bad summer 2022 in terms of service quality) they can avoid it happening alltogether, but the service both over the phone as well as through the app simply needs to be reliable.

- lastly, UBER arrives on the island of MALLORCA today. imo it's about time the market gets some competition and I think it's only a matter of time until they disembark here in ibiza too. it might not be this season anymore and maybe, if the local taxi sector do their job well this year (after a honestly brutally bad summer 2022 in terms of service quality) they can avoid it happening alltogether, but the service both over the phone as well as through the app simply needs to be reliable.

Uber is good and bad in equal message - but you are right it drives up standards of the local taxis. London Taxi's a case in point. Before Uber, they refused to go certain routes (not South of River mate), the cabs were filthy, no AC, never used sat-nav so thought they knew more than data - they had no Apps, nothing. Fast forward 2023 most are electric, smooth, AC, use really good Apps Etc. And they have probably killed off a lot of Uber use (though pandemic helped too).

But Uber in Ibiza - can you imagine the absolute carnage of Uber drivers outside clubs triple parking as (probably) not allowed to use the taxi rank!

Exact same experience for us, we arrived home yesterday. The app was hit and miss, worked great for the first 3 days, day 4 we tried for 2 hrs but anyone that accepted cancelled on us, so we had to change our plans for that night and stayed local in Port De Torrent. If you are out of the way somewhere I would try to avoid peak times.

Every time this thread is bumped I have 'Shangai Taxi' by Ricky Stone (Deepgroove Mix) on my internal jukebox for the day

So as a summary, the situation is much better than last year? Heading out tomorrow, don't want to be planning ahead on waiting hours or having to get a bus to the airport on the way home 😂

Improved on last year and being this two week period is a little quieter before things pick up again end of June, you should be fine

As others have commented, it's the remote picks up which are the most challenging

Looking forward to Uber on Ibiza (and Bolt and similar competition), and good luck to them fighting the taxi mafia.

Can we expect rental electric scooters (Lime&Co) on Ibiza as well?

Can we expect rental electric scooters (Lime&Co) on Ibiza as well?

Can you imagine the carnage? I’m not convinced E-Scooters hired by the minute in Ibiza is a good idea. Well not on a mass scale like Lime Bikes are in London. You’d end up with like 100s outside a club!

Back