Ibiza on Radio 1 Newsbeat

TomWatts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/18501496

Can the more "experienced" workers answer a few queries?

According to the report, "Numbers are down for this time of year" - Is this true? Surely every resort fluctuates slightly each year?

Does this mean jobs will be harder and harder to come by each month?

I also listened to this and without wanting to jump to conclusions, the lad from Romford who needs 2-3 jobs to pay his rent(??) seems to be more interested in having a good time than anything else.. Is it true to say that those that want to work hard will not have these sort of shortcomings?

Have been planning on moving abroad to work for a while - Ibiza would be my first choice - but wouldnt want to end up sleeping on the beach?!!!

That said, the news can find a story in everything, I'm sure there are lots of happy, hard working people over there making more than enough to live on?!

I suppose it's like living & working in any holiday resort, you've got to (unfortunately) be a bit sensible with your wages (ie pay the rent first, then drink/party with what's left)....

In my experience the ones who treated working abroad like an extended holiday tended to be the ones on the early planes back to the UK for a serious detox!!! :lol:

Have heard a few reports of more workers coming home early this season. Speaking to some who have worked the past few years, the impression I got was that they considered this year to be their toughest yet.

Still lots of jobs advertised apparently, but they aren't getting filled because they are commission-based and there just isn't the numbers. Or, at least, not holidaymakers willing to spend €€€.

He says its only 200 euros a month for rent. Anyone who isn't a moron can afford to save enough before going to cover some of or the majority of rent for a season, then it's a case of working for beer money and club tickets.

I also think you get more and more young people going thinking its like a 5 month holiday and aren't willing to work hard. These are the folk that ultimately end up going home early once they realise that life isn't an episode of Skins.

I also think you get more and more young people going thinking its like a 5 month holiday and aren't willing to work hard. These are the folk that ultimately end up going home early once they realise that life isn't an episode of Skins.

Exactly my point.....

Everyone i've spoken to in Playa D'en Bossa are saying it's the quietest they've ever seen it, commission-based jobs are plentiful but it's difficult when the workers almost match the tourist in terms of numbers!

Still absolutely love it and wouldn't change a thing though :)

A lot of people who've lived here in Es Cana for a good while are also saying its quiet for the time of year too.....

Won't be long until Stephen & James can tell us the official figures for visitors to the island and whether they're up or down on previous years.

I suspect, that actually, they'll be slightly up, just that people are generally being more savvy with their money. Buying tickets in advance to get the earlybird price etc.

Season is slightly longer this year also, so in theory thats gonna break-up the potentially visitors at any one time a bit.

when we were there at the start of april, several bar/restaurant owners were delighted with the numbers at that time. I gathered a lot to do with it was really low fares provided by Ryanair (which is why we were visiting ourselves). I thought after such a busy year last year it would be more of the same this season, hope it picks up!

Maybe it's just this side of the Island then, but Toni the owner of Popeyes is saying this year is definitely quieter than last... ;)

I think the bars in & around the Bay, and the West End will benefit if anything from the financial downturn. It's the clubs (in San An) that will suffer most. No surprise when they are trying to unjustifibly charge €25+ on the door. Es Paradis are definitely getting hit hard this year. I would imagine Eden are experiencing much of the same.

Back