Ibiza 23-30 April 05

russ

a lovely time of year to visit. the beaches are nearly empty, the roads quiet, the restaurants have time to serve you and the sun is hot, hot, hot

Spent most of the week relaxing either on the farm or on the beach. Hightlights:

Can Marti: Spectacular scenery, just us, the dog, cats, frogs, donkeys, chickens (and little chicks) and loads of birds. A 15 min walk through forest to San Joan.
95134443.jpg

The Beaches: we went to so... many. At this time of year they are nearly empty but it is still plenty warm enough to sunbathe. no burning too.
Calla St Vincent: a long way north but a well equipped cove beach, probably busy in the summer.
Aguilles Blanques. sheltered nudie bathing heaven. fresh, surf's up water and lots of little coves for privacy
Calla D'Hort. lovely views of es vedra but the beach surprisingly pebbly (and dirty too) nice restaurant though
Calla Salada, worth scrambling over the rocks for
Calla Conta: my new favourite beach. pale sand the consistency of sesame seeds, calm shallow blue flag status water. plus you can get yer kit off.
Salinas. there cant have been more than 60 people on the entire beach

The Villiages
drove to pretty much every one. San Joan our local is quiet. San Josep has great atmosphere and some great places to eat like el destino(a fave of mine) and raco verd (ask Stephen!)
Santa Gertrudis has great places to eat (bocadillos and wine from Cafe Costa, grilled fish meat, cheese at local's place of choice:Can Caus)

We tried to get to atlantis but gave up half way up the mountian as we realised we weren't going the right way. looking over the edge 200mtrs down to the sea, mrs russ decided on our behalf that we should give it up. lovely views from where we stopped though

95134496.jpg

Formentera is so worth a trip. Hire bikes too for 8 euros a day. the little island is flat with wide roads perfect for cycling. the day we went it was a bit overcast so we pedalled for hours. great.
found loads of nice beaches there

Meeting up with the charming Mr McRackin. for those who have always wondered he looks like, wonder no more:
http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL822/3545602/7293396/95134468.jpg

Can Rich: Ibiza wine. never discovered this before. the white is good but the red is grrrrreat. about 6euros a bottle. apparently you can visit the vineyard just northa San Antoni. that's on the itineray for next time for sure.

Ibiza is a great place. for us, from now on it's visits in spring or autumn. if a restaruant or bar is open, you know it must be good. They are pretty cheap too. Flying weekend visits in the summer to dance our little titties off.

Pacha outa season is a rubbish place. funky/global room, top levels of the main room & terrace are closed. It's (not very) full of paunchy 'Marina' types plus a few local kidz. left at 4am as it still was dead. waste of cash.

Oh, Stephen's house is pretty nice too :D

95323519.jpg

more pics here
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=rustywoo1&x=13&y=17

Great review Russ,

Spring and autum are definitly the way forward. My first visit to the Pitiusses was on a 1st of may and I couldn't cope with so many colors, light, beauty and quieteness :D

Great Review mate.

I went last May and it was brilliant.

Glad you had a good time and the weather was good!

nice to know someone can afford himself to enjoy Ibiza in the off season. maybe one day i will too :D

Great review! Loads of good tips as well which I'll bear in mind for next month when I return.

(Will we ever find out what McRackin looks like?!)

fusion said:
nice to know someone can afford himself to enjoy Ibiza in the off season. maybe one day i will too :D

I suspect the starting location is a telling factor Fusion old chap. Bit easier from Primose Hill than Israel.

Raco verd is my local - it takes me one minute and 37 seconds to get there!
In winter it's inside

48221769-6b8e-02000180-.jpg

and in summer we all sit outside
48221825-e2eb-02000180-.jpg

they have great live music there (jazz, rock, blues and flamenco) and fantastic cakes and bocadillos.

to my knowledge it's never once been recommended by a british music magazine as a place to go!

fusion said:

Late April, early May about £25 return with easyjet and an apartment for a week less than £100 - go on, treat yourself.
That was last year - this year at the beginning of May it was the Calanova in Es Cana for less than £15 a day for half board - brilliant apart from the new road under construction around Ibiza town

San Josep has great atmosphere and some great places to eat like el destino(a fave of mine) and raco verd (ask Stephen!)

Is the food really good at Raco verd or is its main attraction the entertainment ?? I'm staying in San Jose in july and have heard good things.

Thanks

gracias

we aren't gonna make it this spring (prob gonna go to see family in cyprus 8) )

just re-reading my review (and seeing your pics) have brought back so many lovely memories. cheers mc

Back