I Am Soooo Relieved

LagunaBeachCA

Where do I begin? This week was so stressful for me :( . I had once hinted to some managers at my company that I might be interested in making a move to Houston, TX as an Account Executive. Well, this week I was called in by them, and they asked me if I was interested in moving to Houston they have an opening (a need rather) for my talents in Houston. I told them to give me a few days so that I can think about it. I knew that I can do the job very successfully and happily, but I was not too sure of relocating to Houston.

I talked with my manager for some advice, and his recommendation was that it would be a good career move, but he advised me that I should not do it only because of the money, as I would regret it. I basically poured my heart out and I said that I have absolutely no doubt that I can do the job very successfully and happily, and I can learn to like Houston. I also told him that I really like CA because of the people, my base of friends, and because of the fact that for once in my life I have a chance of settling down and have a sense of belonging.

However, I really felt (based on factual figures from HR) that I was getting screwed financially at my current position. Except for the first year I have outperformed every sales person in my company and trounced the sales and profits target for the past 4 years, but I was still below the median base pay scale. That's BS, and it bothers me a lot. So I gave him a figure where I should be, and said that if I am at that level then I will be very happy. If that is not possible then I will do the Houton deal, and "learn" to like Houston.

I also said that I see him travel globally for some chicken-poop reason, when he clearly does not need (because it's a missionary mission) or want to travel because he has a family with a new-born kid. I said that I really want to do the traveling on occasions like that, but I currently I do not feel like stepping up and saying that I will do it, because of the pay issue. However, if the pay was not an issue I would not mind traveling a week every month at the drop of a hat. I also told him that I really like (and I do) his role in the company as one of the go to guys. I am also one of those guys but not to that level as the pay issue bothers me to the point that I cannot be so catering as he is.

I told him that he knows exactly what I was talking about as he was in the same shoes 5 years ago. He told me that he understood fully, and he will talk to his manager. He came back yesterday and said that he can bring my pay up to within a few percentage points of my number on Jan-01-05. However, he still advised me that I should not make the judgement based on dollars only.

I was so relieved to hear that, and to put an end to a week where I was sleeping only 2-3 hours every night. I decided that I will stay in CA. I will tell the managers who tried to woo me that I am really grateful for considering me and if they need me to help them out any time by making trips to Houston, I will do that with all willingness.

I sorry to have blabbered for so long, but I really wanted to share this dilemma that I went through this week, with you.

A Relieved Laguna

really glad to hear it Laguna.

i've found that the best decisions are always worth the sweat needed to make them.

;)

Thanks FunkyHouseKitten and Russ. That means a lot to me :D . I could just feel the change in my behavior yesterday when I was at my company's X-Mas party. It has been 5 years since I felt as light-hearted as I did last night. A great burden seems to be off my chest. :D

Cheers,

LagunaBeachCA

We spend so much time at work it's got to be somewhere you feel good, or at least comfortable. Glad you got that sorted.

Back