Human Traffic

Bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Used to adore it back in my 'just discovered pills' days, but it is a bit full of stupid cliches. Used to gut myself at all the silly dancing when the d'n'b track goes on in the shop.

Oh, and whatever happened to Danny Dyer? :lol:

I thought it was cheese-tastic in a good way! I've got to say as much of a chump that Danny is, his character made me laugh the most :lol:

danny dyer bossed that film and had great potential - shame it all went up his nose

I don't think the film as a whole aged that well or was even remotely similar to the experiences I had as a student in the 90s but some of the dialogue (the star wars scene, the hiphop nerd, the rave flashback in the club, moff's rant in the taxi) was extremely funny.

the director fell out with the production company, which is why there are two different versions on DVD

felix da housekat's my fellow boppers which soundtracked the coming up scene in the club is still an amazing piece of music, which sadly never gets played out

I loved the track that was played as the day breaks over the city...I've heard it numerous times in many incarnations but what was it called?

Got any junglist geez? :lol:

humantraffic_koop.jpg

I don't think the film as a whole aged that well

That was exactly what I was going to say. I used to love it when it was first out, but it was on the telebox a little while back and it seems like cheese on toast b*llocks now.

a lot of the cultural references were of a time and place. in a way you know the director is desperately trying to pull off another trainspotting but it doesn't come off because stylistically it's a carbon copy and not exactly subtle. It's dated because nobody listens to pete tong anymore, for starters. It's social suicide to admit to ever having listened to him [even though we all did] I think anyone over 30 who went through all that sees the whole era in a different light now. The film tries to make out E changed the world, that E was political, when the reality is a lot of people had a lot of fun but that was it, the establishment didn't fall, The Man still won, people still fight at bus stops when they come out of the club. + clubbing now is nothing compared to what it was, and ultimately we all just got old. Which is why some of it is cringe. The national anthem scene for starters. The film is funny in individual scenes, but trying to capture the drug experience on film is really, really hard and not many films get it right.

I think anyone over 30 who went through all that sees the whole era in a different light now. The film tries to make out E changed the world, that E was political, when the reality is a lot of people had a lot of fun but that was it, the establishment didn't fall, The Man still won, people still fight at bus stops when they come out of the club. + clubbing now is nothing compared to what it was, and ultimately we all just got old. Which is why some of it is cringe. The national anthem scene for starters. The film is funny in individual scenes, but trying to capture the drug experience on film is really, really hard and not many films get it right.

i understand what you mean, but for people under 30, who were living this film as their real life, it did change the world, it was a cultural thing. it did, in fact, change people's lives.

look at me ffs!

moreover, every year, without fail, all over the world, people are still having that acid house moment and being captured by the scene, albeit the goalposts have moved as to how it happens and what happens after that.

there are some cringey bits, but the film did capture, not the drug experience, but almost exactly the thoughts, feelings, ups, downs, issues that many of us went through and still do as members of the dance music community.

maybe a bit rose-tinted for me cos i was in exactly the same place as those characters in the film when it was released, but i stand by my argument!! 8)

the star wars scene sums up so many parties I've been to. Always the same, wherever you go, everyone always just hangs around the kitchen for hours making crap cocktails or skinning up, until the coke clique discreetly segregate themselves from the freeloaders and move to another room with a closed door. Come 7am, there will be always be 4 people left in the kitchen area, usually some European crustie nobody knows, someone passed out on the floorboards in some spilt wine and 2 others still mumbling or skinning up on a stinking futon in the corner. By which time, the music has gone seriously ambient and nobody cares anymore.

i understand what you mean, but for people under 30, who were living this film as their real life, it did change the world, it was a cultural thing. it did, in fact, change people's lives.

look at me ffs!

moreover, every year, without fail, all over the world, people are still having that acid house moment and being captured by the scene, albeit the goalposts have moved as to how it happens and what happens after that.

there are some cringey bits, but the film did capture, not the drug experience, but almost exactly the thoughts, feelings, ups, downs, issues that many of us went through and still do as members of the dance music community.

maybe a bit rose-tinted for me cos i was in exactly the same place as those characters in the film when it was released, but i stand by my argument!! 8)

OK, I think E changed the way we approach music/clubbing and made reserved English people less inhibited but it was all an illusion. The idealistic aspect got overblown. It was later on that I realised just how many cynical people there are in dance circles, out for a quick buck and there are a lot of people who took E but never really bought into the ideology. I think a lot of people believed in it at the start because they had never experienced that rush before but in a way it is the arrogance of youth. Previous generations all thought they had clocked it. The punks changed the world right? No, the hippies changed the world. No fool! The Beatles changed the world. Or was it Elvis?

I had amazing times, but we didn't get rid of Thatcher (her party did), or rubbish pubs or end fighting or wars or AIDS - the unity was all a myth. Everybody gets old and then disperses.

and replaces E with cocaine which killed the unity once and for all

ME ME ME X-FACTOR YES IT'S ALL ABOUT ME COWELLLLLLL HELLLLLL

POP-POP-POP MUSIC

and hence back to the 80s - Maggie lives on in the form of CAM THE MAN

Did anything change? hmm...

OK, I think E changed the way we approach music/clubbing and made reserved English people less inhibited but it was all an illusion. The idealistic aspect got overblown. It was later on that I realised just how many cynical people there are in dance circles, out for a quick buck and there are a lot of people who took E but never really bought into the ideology. I think a lot of people believed in it at the start because they had never experienced that rush before but in a way it is the arrogance of youth. Previous generations all thought they had clocked it. The punks changed the world right? No, the hippies changed the world. No fool! The Beatles changed the world. Or was it Elvis?

I had amazing times, but we didn't get rid of Thatcher (her party did), or rubbish pubs or end fighting or wars or AIDS - the unity was all a myth. Everybody gets old and then disperses.

POP-POP-POP MUSIC

I think it made people seek out different experiences, drug related or not.

Human Traffic is a brilliant film. Regardless of Cheesy moments and cliches.

You've got to be able to look back at yourself and laugh.

However, I always thought and still think, that if you're a c unt and you take a pill, you're fooling no one, you're still a c unt.

POP-POP-POP MUSIC

Olly never let it be said that you're a cynic.

;)

I still think it has massive therapeutic potential so long as it's not cut with sh!t, mixed with alcohol and abused over a weekend.

Also am afraid to say that the HT script is very close to my life as a teenager. :oops:

It's not nice being a living cliche. :cry:

POP-POP-POP MUSIC

yeah but x-factor and all that and world changing stuff........it all depends where you look at it.

i can honestly say that it has changed my life totally. where i live, my job, my passion....everything.

if you work a 9-5 you hate, then i can understand it, but lives have been changed no doubt.

also, its like the classic scenario of having crossed the line and been enlightened, you can never then be unenlightened even if you go back over the line. that's the power of it all.

olly ****in hell, stick let the music use you on. you need it guv

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah but x-factor and all that and world changing stuff........it all depends where you look at it.

i can honestly say that it has changed my life totally. where i live, my job, my passion....everything.

if you work a 9-5 you hate, then i can understand it, but lives have been changed no doubt.

also, its like the classic scenario of having crossed the line and been enlightened, you can never then be unenlightened even if you go back over the line. that's the power of it all.

olly ****in hell, stick let the music use you on. you need it guv

sorry on the x-factor, yeah its mindnumbing but i never watch it, most people i know don't or don't talk about it.

Back