Help needed for choosing music for new night

DM12

Guys, I'm starting a new night upstairs in a bar. This place has never had a night before so I would appreciate your expertise. The theme of the night will be disco, funk and house (think hed kandi etc) as well as a bit of some CREDIBLE pop. Would really appreciate your thoughts if someone has a tracklist that could really help me out. Cheers.

Take no notice of me DM, I was suggesting that musical snobbery might be forthcoming, but I'm in a cynical mood.

You don't have to be in a cynical mood to know that when Olly sees this he will proffer his opinion in his own indomitable way...

we will be aiming to tap into the after work crowd on a friday night. Age group for the area will be in the 25-30 region

we will be aiming to tap into the after work crowd on a friday night. Age group for the area will be in the 25-30 region

Easy enough crowd to play to especially a friday night after work. My advise would be to keep it light and mixed with feel good tunes building up the tempo as the night goes on.

Agegroup is tricky as it suggests that they will be out of the Tiesto/Dave Clark phase with regards to dance (especially the guys) but the girls will be still into David Guetta, Lady Ga Ga, Pitbull, Akon, Rihanna, Black eyed Peas, Pink, Amy Winehouse and all that easy listening chart pop sound that you can play early on.

Keep the ladies entertained the guys will be too.

As Always, It all depends on your crowd as to what you play........... but always have a mix of rock, party, chart, house and dance in your box.

These days I play to a mixed and diverse crowd in different venues so I have to be fairly flexible with music selection. A few more of the guys on here would be more specific to a certain sound so they may offer better advise than I can............

Why would you want to DJ if you have to ask people for advice on what kind of music to play? (Serious question.)

I think if your starting a night the worst thing you can do is guage your audience (after work etc) then just play exactly bog standard what you think they will want to hear.
You might have an amazing taste in tunes that many ppl would want to hear of course keep it afer work friendly but dont just do another run off the mill wackfest . People might come back specifically if you do play stuff they're not gona hear elsewhere

You don't have to be in a cynical mood to know that when Olly sees this he will proffer his opinion in his own indomitable way...

can't be bothered, sorry

not only is the guy too lazy to research the internet, he's not even bothered to read an almost identical thread on the same page!

Dammit. I was looking forward to more of your vitriolic rhetoric.

Jesus I think someone snuck a small Oxford English into my pasta at lunch....:eek:

In a similar vein to the OP's situation, Guys I will shortly be going into space.

Now of course the standard formula Vf = Veln(M0 / Mf). applies for my rocket. But I can't decide between kerosene-liquid oxygen or liquid hydrogen.

Also do you think i will need a spacesuit? they look fairly cumbersome.

I will probably go to the moon, as that is the easiest navigation wise.

Any other tips I should keep in mind before embarking on my astroadventure?

I will probably go to the moon, as that is the easiest navigation wise.

Any other tips I should keep in mind before embarking on my astroadventure?

Don't bother. I've heard it's not as good as it used to be. (And there's no atmosphere! Boom!)

Back