Help GPS Hotels

Fronty

Hello,

Just got back from an amazing week in Ibiza loved every moment except the hotel !

We stayed in the Catalina, we had stayed here before several times with no problems however this time.....................

Upon arrival check in was easy and quick and we was given room number 406 went up the first set of stairs to fond broken chairs etc ( place looked wrecked), lift wasnt working ( not a problem dont do lifts anyway,)

The room was ok, the cover on the bed was dirty and there was only 1 toilet roll. for the whole week there was not hot water and we had to buy our own toilet roll. Not the end of the world.

Any way Wednesday we went to Mambo in the evening for a bottle of smirnoff and spent the evening drinking with good friends. My friends and i returned to the room at around 4.30 - 5.00 am and locked the door. Woke around 9 / 10 am to find my mates jeans over the other side of the room, then checked and saw the safe was open. All money was gone, they even had the cheek to go into my shorts take 50 euros out of my wallett and put my wallett back in my shorts.

They also stole my mates CD's he uses for DJing ( if there are any DJ's on here that get offered them) anyway we had travel insurance so i thought i would report it for this purpose.

The staff didnt want to know they informed me there where 5 rooms that where unlocked last night ( our was 100% locked) how did they know this ?? They had access to our room stole our hard earned cash from the safe whilst we where asleep !!!!

Staff refused to call Police for us and informed us that the CCTV werent working. We stopped the police in the street who said they would send someone to have a look, nobody came they didnt care.

Now i need to claim on insurance and have no crime report, checked treip advisor and this thing is not uncommon, seems especially this year ( have stayed 3 or 4 times before no problems)

We have been told by a guy that runs the internet cafe that the owner has gone to prison and that the staff havent been paid so basicaly they are helping them selfs.

anyone know anymore about this - also where do i stand with my travel insurance, is there anyway to get a police report now i am back in the UK ????

Also want to get a refund for the hotel - Had a really good time - one of the best ( my 12th visit to the island) but becuase of what happened will probably be my last time i visit Ibiza.

Gutted is an understatement, people like this will ruin Ibiza and stop people coming back.

Really sorry to read about that, Dave. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Glad the rest of your trip was good.

The cautionary tales about GPS hotels continue to spread :!:

I know you haven't been around the forum much lately but there are a few GPS-related threads in the Ibiza Open Chat section.

A similar thing happened to us a few years ago in an Ibiza Town hotel.
On our last night we packed and got everything ready for the usual late night check-in at the airport and decided to go for final drinks and say goodbye to friends etc.
Anyway when we got back to the room to get the taxi my wife commented on why I had left the safe open?-it wasn't unlocked, its door had been smashed off (although the room door wasn't damaged and was locked when we got back!!)
Luckily we only lost some UK (?) notes and everything else was in place but when we went to the reception to ask what was going on the couple from the room next to us were there and had lost everything!
The receptionist said we could report it to the police but they wouldn't bother turning up till morning (which was handy as we were leaving that night)
We started talking to our 'neighbours' and they had seen our lights go on in the room when they were sat in a bar opposite in vara del rey-they wondered how we had managed to get to our room so quickly as we had been sat at a table next to them a few seconds before!

Anyway with regards to original question about insurance, no you cannot make a claim if you don't have a police report. My wife works in insurance and any policy clearly states that there must be a police report to prove the theft.

you can make your denuncia by phone 24/7

Finalmente, también se señala la posibilidad para ciudadanos extranjeros de realizar su denuncia durante las 24 horas del día y todos los días del año, a través de un servicio telefónico mediante llamada al número 902 102 112, donde pueden ser atendidos en los idiomas inglés; francés; alemán; italiano; árabe y japonés.

normally you go along to the police station on the avenida de la paz the following day to collect your report. maybe there is some way of mailing them to people who have left the island?

Sorry to read what has happened, Please do not "Tar" Ibiza with a GPS brush, They are the worst of the worst on the Island and a disgrace to the industry, I read in the Ibiza Sun the staff have been paid now (not all they are owed I believe) And got reasonable accommodation, are paying NI/Tax ( the owner said he was, Hence the 10 yrs holiday he looking at) And a lot of other things, But my advice to anyone would to be to stay away from GPS hotels if you can,

Claim etc

Maye be worth a call to the British consulate here http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/other-locations/ibiza-consulate/contact-us They are very helpful

Have a good one
Tim

Sorry to hear about this mate, I was staying in the catalina from the 20th of July for a week and although I was fortunate enough to have been robbed what a ****hole of a place it is! We were greeted at reception by a big sign warning of 'burglaries around the hotel recently'. The room looked ok to begin with until we discovered no lights were working nor did our balcony have a lock. When asking the receptionist what we were supposed to do with the door that didnt lock he simply pulled out a 4 inch rusty nail from his pocket and put it a hole in the door from where the lock had been. It wasnt enough as the moment someone started shaking the door it would come out and so I had to use cellotape to keep it in place. i would never stay there again after fearing every night I would come home to our room being broken into! I had stayed in the marco polo two years previous to this one and always thought it was a good hotel so I certainly wouldnt say it was every GPS hotel.
cimg1732d.jpg

stayed there last year at the end of september. was pretty rowdy at times but we were too so was ok.on reading reviews they seemed really bad, stories about rooms getting robbed etc.....there was a group of us and used 4 rooms around the hotel and we didn't have anything bad happen to us. if your looking for a really nice clean hotel then maybe this isn't the one for you. but if like me you want a shower and a bed, right in the centre then this is for you!,

Does anyone have bad experiences about piscis park.

same as dantboy, we read the horrow stories of Piscis Park after booking it and was really worried, but everything was fine, it's not the best looking hotel in the world but it's cheap as hell, and you only really need a bed and a shower i think 8)

Back