HAWTIN

freakstar

Cant say i blame him...people with phones, cameras etc really are a pain in the backside

Regarding the incident at Time Warp in New York this weekend which is being posted and talked about on the web, I would like to apologise here to the girl involved. It was not my intention that the speaker fell. Only to nudge the monitors in her direction and for her to understand that perhaps she had filmed enough. I was as surprised as I'm sure she was when it moved the way it did and the top speaker fell off of the stack. For that, I'm extremely sorry and embarrassed about what happened. This was never my intention. Sometimes being in the middle of the spotlight, continual cameras and glaring iPhone lights, things can get stressful and frustrating. I'm sorry that this frustration took an unexpected turn and took away from anyone's experience of Time Warp. I have tried to reach the girl to apologise personally but have not yet been able to track her down and will continue to try to contact her.

hmmm bit of a cop out from him , looked like he pretty much shoved the speaker at her then didn't act like he cared much after. he was too busy doing his messiah impression to really notice it looked like

I don't think he realised what happened until later however, I think it was completely unnecessary. It started with a negative thought, which always leads to a negative outcome!

End of the day, you are there to dance, why film!

At a Pop/Dance gig: Guetta, Calvin, Avicii etc I get that the type of people that enjoy that kind of music are also the types that have to film it. However, at a large festival type gig the above types of acts are often cut off from the audience.

At a more underground night, I don't get the need to film, and at a lot of these gigs the DJ is VERY close to the audience, and I think on the whole these guys have to put up with a lot.

I was at the ENTER.SAKE night that Richie did back in September at Beach House PDB. There must have been a few hundred of us there max, and the DJ booth as you know is ground level. Some idiot just held a camera in Richie's face for about 25 mins. How be kept his cool I will never know! Thankfully a few of us managed to move him along (and got a thank you glass of SAKE from Richie).

Point is..... put your damn phones away and enjoy the music, and don't get too in their faces!

it seems as if people just do it to prove to their mates they were there? I dont get it either. it can be extremely annoying for those of us trying to enjoy the music experience to have some pleb with their arm up and getting in the way. we didnt have this back in the day when phones didnt have cameras/videos and normal cameras were simply not permitted. i really believe clubbing experience has been impacted for the worst

I totally agree about filming in clubs. Just seems like he didnt give two hoots at the time and now he's getting pulled up on it he's backtracking. I'd have respected him more if he said he shoved the speaker at her because she was filming in my face for ages rather than a long winded apology when he didn't look concerned one bit at the time

Its the "same old, same old."

Everything in moderation.

A few snaps of friends etc, maybe a video of an ice cannon erupting?

But when someones posted a 25 minute or so clip of a DJ swapping tunes or sipping their drink I begin to question why they are actually there?

Reactions: ric
yep...the big nights tend to get the most issues...i suppose that is part of being big. Although at Cacoon this year when i went it was fine but Carol Cox was ridiculous. The "clubbers" taking pictures etc seemed completely sober and totally spoilt my time there.

I think he's a bit of a tool.. And his music these days is pretty much unlistenable

I think he needs to scale back and get rid of the 10s and 10s of hangers on that he has around him. I get that he now has a massive business and enterprise to run but cut back on people. It's when him and his entourage are together that he comes across as a tool.

Richie seems most comfortable when you catch 5 mins with him at the bar in the El Salon in Space. No hangers on just a genuinely nice guy who lives for music.

I don't agree with filming at events, whether it be at clubs, festivals, concerts, wherever. I think it potentially ruins the event for other people who have spent their hard-earned money to attend, and I also think that whilst it may give you some visual memory to relive, it takes away from the moment. I know I'd much rather savour the moment for the there and now then relive it on grainy & poor audio quality media file.

However, you cannot condone pushing a monitor onto a person. You just can't. Unforgivable. He is so fortunate the girl, or indeed anybody else, was not hurt.

I also think that as a self-confessed technophile who's performances are littered with the use of the most up-to-date technology, he is at risk of being a bit of a hypocrite for getting on his high-horse about somebody filming on a smart phone. No?

Other than that, she wasn't even really anywhere near him. Hardly in his face. I just don't know what's gone through his head. A regrettable moment of madness? Perhaps.

Certainly his self-championed image as an approachable man-of-the-people all about his fans is now in tatters. A true shame. I did previously consider him genuine in that respect.

I saw a picture on facebook last night of Mr Hawtin himself filming Paris Hilton whilst DJing at Amnesia...albeit from behind.

Last edited:

But when someones posted a 25 minute or so clip of a DJ swapping tunes or sipping their drink I begin to question why they are actually there?

I'm with you on this.
I admit I've done my recording in clubs but generally no more than one song and for bout 30 secs max. and it would be outisde the main dancefloor not in the middle. Maybe that's what they should do, have a dancefloor ban on them but on the edges its ok.
It is good to sometimes look back at great nights.

Thankfully Be@at tv covers a few events these days.

Exactly!!!!! I always get a few videos when i'm out just as a memory and to look back on etc... Normally just panning from the dj and round to the crowd when a big tune is about to drop etc etc... I don't see what people get from having the camera constantly on the dj for 10mins+... Are they studying technique when they go home or something?!?!

A quick 1 minute clip now and then is ok in my eyes... There's been a few times where i've maybe recorded over 5 mins etc but that would only be for the last tune and only if i'm too wrecked to move anymore...

:)

End of the day, you are there to dance, why film!

At a Pop/Dance gig: Guetta, Calvin, Avicii etc I get that the type of people that enjoy that kind of music are also the types that have to film it. However, at a large festival type gig the above types of acts are often cut off from the audience.

At a more underground night, I don't get the need to film, and at a lot of these gigs the DJ is VERY close to the audience, and I think on the whole these guys have to put up with a lot.

I was at the ENTER.SAKE night that Richie did back in September at Beach House PDB. There must have been a few hundred of us there max, and the DJ booth as you know is ground level. Some idiot just held a camera in Richie's face for about 25 mins. How be kept his cool I will never know! Thankfully a few of us managed to move him along (and got a thank you glass of SAKE from Richie).

Point is..... put your damn phones away and enjoy the music, and don't get too in their faces!
Idots in clubs with phones, its not the pyramid stage at glasto.1450697_10201213637763956_1060076003_n.jpg

Back