Goa

I hated it, along with the rest of India, couldn't leave quick enough! :lol: That's just me though ;)

cant speak from personal experience but my parents in law go every year (they're there now funnily enough) and they love it, cheap food & drink, nice beaches, nice people etc, would like to go myself one day. Where are you staying, they always go to majorda beach.

I've been.

Loved every minute of and would go back tomorrow if I didn't have other places I'd like to visit first.

We stayed in Panjim (Capital), nice and central so you could taxi north (touristy) or south (tranquil).

Great food, people, weather, loads to do and its as cheap as chips.

My parents went a year back as well and they had the same things to say about the place as we did!

JJinit

cant speak from personal experience but my parents in law go every year (they're there now funnily enough) and they love it, cheap food & drink, nice beaches, nice people etc, would like to go myself one day. Where are you staying, they always go to majorda beach.

Sorry, did not reply. Re where to stay, to be decided really.

Anna is a big traveller person & wants to take it all in without to much reference to the tourist centres.

I will have to take in Anjuna for a few days, sounds like a tourist trap etc, but we have the time. Other than that, not sure at all.

Not really there to party massively. Ok, would like to take in say at least one trance events (pref on a beach!) just to tick the box & the night life in some of the other places looks rockin - But more ideal is a quiet beach, perhaps a little smoke & chill out. Altho, the feds sound fairly hardcore there...

You can travel Goa pretty easily. I recommend Vagator in the North and Palolem in the South. Didn't really rate Anjuna much. Avoid Baga and Calungute like the plague - they're basically the West End of Goa.

The trance raves aren't really happening that much over there any more sadly, and you're right, the officials have really cut down the clubbing scene - some bars even have to shut now at 9pm!! But you can still find the odd event going on. What time of year are you going?

But generally Goa is a wicked place to chill, see some cool bars, eat fresh fish every day and explore the area :)

You can travel Goa pretty easily. I recommend Vagator in the North and Palolem in the South. Didn't really rate Anjuna much. Avoid Baga and Calungute like the plague - they're basically the West End of Goa.

The trance raves aren't really happening that much over there any more sadly, and you're right, the officials have really cut down the clubbing scene - some bars even have to shut now at 9pm!! But you can still find the odd event going on. What time of year are you going?

But generally Goa is a wicked place to chill, see some cool bars, eat fresh fish every day and explore the area :)

15th - 30th december, booked it packed it etc etc8):)

went over christmas and new year and wouldnt say i would go back.

downside was

1. Grubby,
2. hastle from sellers, shop keepers. beggars and taxis contantly plagueing you for custom.
3. Pervert locals who parade the beach all day eithe gawping or taking photos of anything in a bikini, nearly came to blows on a couple of occassions
4. hygeine, i contractec compylo bacter over there from uncooked chicken

Upside

1. very cheap (meal plus a bottle of wine would cost around £4 if that)
2. weather was fab

Would i go back?, would i heck:evil:

went over christmas and new year and wouldnt say i would go back.

downside was

1. Grubby,
2. hastle from sellers, shop keepers. beggars and taxis contantly plagueing you for custom.
3. Pervert locals who parade the beach all day eithe gawping or taking photos of anything in a bikini, nearly came to blows on a couple of occassions
4. hygeine, i contractec compylo bacter over there from uncooked chicken

Upside

1. very cheap (meal plus a bottle of wine would cost around £4 if that)
2. weather was fab

Would i go back?, would i heck:evil:

The first three on your list....I fully expect. El Missus just back from a month in mainland india so well versed.

Re the bikinis, if everyone tipped up wearing nothing on our beaches, my camera would be out!

Beggers etc - well it is a very poor place, surrounded by a lot of western money.

SO - nothing there not to expect - western europe it aint. If they are the three worst things to happen to happen to me then I will have had a safer night out that a trip back to Birkenhead!

thanks for the feedback tho:)

Go to Arambol in the North. There's often raves in the forests behind the freshwater lagoon up there. just ask around.

To enjoy Goa you need to get into the pace of the place and not try to apply western standards to everything. The vendors and shopkeepers are insistent, but be firm and haggle with a smile on your face and they are cool. Just don't take it too seriously, as they don't.

And eat where it's busy if you're unsure.:lol:

And although you need to watch yourself in some areas, don't believe the currrent media frenzy about the drug soaked beaches and seedy night life. It's there if you know where to look, but you can be blissfully unaware of it at the same time, it's not in your face.

Pm me if you want any recommends etc.

Back