getting vinyls printed?!

jrd

Is it possible to get tracks from cd printed to vinyl without getting the track published?

i.e for personal use

does anyone have any websites for places that do vinyls? if this is possible!!

and does it cost alot?

big.jpg

TASTEY :D But it will cost a fortune!!

you know of anywhere you can just get the odd one cut?

n/a

no i don't think so, maybe try some records shops, or equipment sales shops, like 'hard to find', or sumthin

eeeeek.. In short; vinyl 'pressing' is far too expensive for what your wanting and your better off sticking to cds.

The cheapest option for a 'one off' would be to get a dub plate done and this will set u back around £35 if memory serves. That would be one sided, one track really. On top of that, this wouldnt be up to being played much. You can get about 20 plays out of it before it starts detiorating badly (depending on initial quality). To get ONE tune pressed properly would cost around £400 for one 12"!!! This is ludacris for what your needs are. Obviously if you were a producer and you were funding your own tune then you would get 500 done for example and that would cost more like 650-750 for a decent 2 sided heavyweight vinyl. The high cost is due to the initial processing that needs to be done before a track is pressed. First there's specific mastering that has to be done so that the vinyl cuts properly, then there's the laquer, then processing. Lots to do basically and it all costs :(

dam0 said:
eeeeek.. In short; vinyl 'pressing' is far too expensive for what your wanting and your better off sticking to cds.

The cheapest option for a 'one off' would be to get a dub plate done and this will set u back around £35 if memory serves. That would be one sided, one track really. On top of that, this wouldnt be up to being played much. You can get about 20 plays out of it before it starts detiorating badly (depending on initial quality). To get ONE tune pressed properly would cost around £400 for one 12"!!! This is ludacris for what your needs are. Obviously if you were a producer and you were funding your own tune then you would get 500 done for example and that would cost more like 650-750 for a decent 2 sided heavyweight vinyl. The high cost is due to the initial processing that needs to be done before a track is pressed. First there's specific mastering that has to be done so that the vinyl cuts properly, then there's the laquer, then processing. Lots to do basically and it all costs :(

Wish i didnt ask now :eek: hehe!

i think ill need to buy a cd deck to stick into my mixer hehe! sliiiiiightly cheaper! ;)

Basically thats an extreme p&d deal. U get 30 copies of your tune but they will make an extra 200 and sell them. You will only recieve 10% of the revenue for this. Its an interesting deal because they claim you still have ownership of the music. However, they dont press anything, it has to be something they see as comercially viable. Really its a bit like a cross between a label and a P&D deal. I'm not sure how quality the vinyl will be though, also there are prob costs that you dont take into account. You will prob have to pay for the stampers to be done as well as the mastering otherwise you will prob cut a dodgy vinyl.

I might ask around and see if anyones done this though, those 200 copies will still generate a bit of hype so it might be worth doing it in the hope that the right person gets hold of the tune :)

i dont produce as of yet! i dont have a midi keyboard so i'd have to use the mouse to make each note of each track which might take a few years hehe!

if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the setup you use to produce? not including your pc though!

and is there a link to your mix of just fvck?

cheers

if you are after giving out future productions to dj's you are better using cd-r, much cheaper and more convenient and every club has some form of cd deck thesedays and you will be gicing out a higher quality product.

it does 'look' much more impressive if you hand someone a 12" though because it seems like you've invested money in the project and are serious about it. Saying that though, as long as you can get them to listen to it, it doesnt make much difference. There's the obvious 'chunky' sound from vinyl but you can recreate that effect digitally if your burning to cd.

@jamie: I'm mostly a software man so the main costs were monitors (speakers) etc. My keyboard is just an old yamaha djx because you dont need anything special as its only a controller for your soft synths. I only really use it to work out chords or melodies though because most of the time i like to put those notes in manually. It doesnt take as long as you'd think once you know what your doing. Sometimes i use a lot of hardware though but thats not stuff i own. It depends who i work with :)

I will post a sample of that remix soon but i'm keeping the full mix for dj's. The only people with a full copy at the moment are stu hirst, matt collins, Alex G (bubble) and superD because he bought me a drink at so! i thought about being cheeky and sending the track to the original label because i know it can work out if you do that. I havent got the right details yet though. Its annoying because its released on UMM but they are a subsidiary of media records which seems to be a subsidiary of nucleuz! Gettin the right contact details is a biatch!

I forgot to say thanks for that link alex, if all goes to pot I may check it out :)

I downloaded cubase sx but it just seems impossible to do anything!

you will have to give me a tutorial some time hehe ;)

dam0 said:
it does 'look' much more impressive if you hand someone a 12" though because it seems like you've invested money in the project and are serious about it. Saying that though, as long as you can get them to listen to it, it doesnt make much difference. There's the obvious 'chunky' sound from vinyl but you can recreate that effect digitally if your burning to cd.

:)

i dont think vinyl get you any more credit these days, cd's are fast becoming the standard format for dj playing new material, morillo must be 90%+ cd and the majority of stuff van dyk plays is mp3.

and i have been with a mate who has given van dyk a cd on the friday at heaven and he has played it the following day at passion.

like you said it's all about the quality of the track, if its poo it dont matter what its on.

@jamie, i'll see what i can do :) I primarily use sx so i should be able to help you out! Check out the tutorials here:

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/tutorialmain.asp

Not just cubase related, there's lots on music/studio theory.

@alex Do you know anyone who's used limitedrecords? I have a few mates that are interested in doing it for promotional material and just to get their tracks on 12". Your prob right about people not being as bothered about the track on vinyl anymore. I spose i've still got old fashioned values in that respect :)

Back