Francois K (08/04)

Olly

No longer active
A few brief words on Friday evening >>

So I went to the francois k party in London on friday night in a state of some excitement because the man is <cringe cliche alert> a total legend, a titan of dance culture since about 1066, or at least since this French-Armenian known to his parents as Francois Kevorkian arrived in New York at some point in 1975 - someone who has for decades effortlessly moved between disco, house and techno and more recently dubstep with breathtaking ease and someone I hadn't seen play for a criminal 6 years, since he did a well-received Sonar warm up gig at fabric.

I met up with a few folk at the the compass (formerly salmon & compass) in angel and then we headed down to Three Blind Mice this little basement boozer on Ravey Street, I've played records there before, it's definitely a strong recommend, for anyone gasping for decent ale/pub/60s films scores/atmosphere away from the noise. The actual venue was round the corner in Scrutton Street, an inauspicious building, which looks more like an office block than some music venue, but it has been the scene of some impressive all nighters over the last year. Not quite the intimate basement we were promised in the promo but nor was it some dirty car park.

The party started late because rumours (sadly, accurate) went round like wildfire that FK had apparently wiped his hard drive :eek: which unfortunately meant his backup set was disjointed and lacking in flow and drama for much of the night, a real shame, but something that couldn't be helped. Nevertheless he packed in a few disco classics like 'lovetown', the inevitable 'love sensation', some classic acid from charles b and the always magical danny krivit house edit of 'strings of life' which was a big chart hit (the less said about the vocal the better) a few years back. He was also not shy of dropping a few up-to-date techy bangers I couldn't hope to identify before bringing things right down in the final hour - the brilliant joey negro/sunburst band everyday (big chill anthem) and then culminating in some seriously trippy beatless ambience, which I've just asked him to id. The soundsystem was immaculate and it was very busy night but not uncomfortably so, a lot of familiar faces out, nice to see Robo from spotlight out, a few lowlifers, the Voices crew, the Late Night Audio team, a lot of people from the brownswood, djh & faith forums and some of my stokey & brixton friends too. Then the inevitable taxi up to manor house, where things got a whole lot darker and probably about the point where this narrative must end.

Rave hibernation for the foreseeable - or at least until the metro area party in a few weeks time..

Jealous.

Love Francois.

Always wanted to see him at Deep Space - must fulfill that ambition within the next three years.

Glad you enjoyed!

Also - loving it when he gets all tripped out and dubby...he normally overlays loads of really intrusive sound effects too. Was he up to any of that bizness? 8)

Also - loving it when he gets all tripped out and dubby...he normally overlays loads of really intrusive sound effects too. Was he up to any of that bizness? 8)

oh yes, plenty of that - extremely trippy in the last hour, by which time everyone was totally poleaxed

he played this towards the end

1751in1.jpg

Back