Fine for standing in 1st class!

madwhitegiant

Fined for standing in first class

A train passenger has been fined £69 for standing in an empty first class wheelchair space because there was no standing room in second class.
Nicola Myhill, 27, commutes 50 miles each day from Fingringhoe in Essex to London Liverpool Street using National Express East Anglia services.
Ms Myhill was told she had 21 days to pay the fine or it will increase but she has appealed against the action.
National Express East Anglia has not yet commented to the BBC on the matter.
The incident happened as Ms Myhill was travelling home on the evening of 10 April.
'Packed trains'
She said: "I was approached by a conductor who said I shouldn't be standing there.
"I continued to stand because there was nowhere to move to and 10 minutes later a ticket inspector fined me."
Two other people were also fined for standing in the first class area, she said. "The trains at that time are usually the same, packed all the way through, and that is the easiest place to stand because you are not in the way of people walking through or the trolley coming through or anybody else that wants to get to the lavatory." Ms Myhill said: "I have appealed against the fine - we get £4 when National Express delays us going into London so I refused to pay it."

I had this agro the other week. I told the inspector that if you could find me a seat then i will gladly move to it. He just left it at that! Bit of a p1ss take really especially the trains around rush hour are rammed!

I find I cant stand all the way sometimes, the one time I did made me feel faint and sick where it was packed :confused:

NE are worse than GNER - the trains are slower - I have been late for 2 meetings so far since the changeover and it now costs £390 for a first class ticket - that's up nearly £50 from when it was GNER - they also run out of food before you get half way through your journey to Newcastle so I feel sorry for anyone getting on at say York travelling through to Edinburgh..... :spank::spank:

To add insult to injury last month when I was travelling back I also had to settle for a bottle of chardonnay as they had run out of bottles of Pinot - gutted!!!!:?:?:confused: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh and also the toilet stunk of old pi** :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Traveling down next month and I have gotten a return BA flight for £84.10 instead......... mind you it is into T5 like so....... :lol::lol::lol:

I use Virgin quite a bit bewteen London Euston & NEC and generally the return leg is rammed, I often sit in 1st class, as may argument when challenged is that im not paying £120 :evil: to stand up!!!

I was on a Virgin train back from B'ham the other week and in 1st. Then they said anyone could pay £15 to upgrade on the fly.....then they said that anyone could use 1st for free! Wtf!

If i was in first class and some oik came and stood beside my crocodile skin luggage sweating working class grime everywhere i'd swill the man with my Dom and set the bloody hounds on him.

Liberty taking Free loaders!

Why would anyone pay that for the train?

Why, so when you get to the station you get to use the 1st class lounge, eat and drink lots of free stuff and then on the train, for the waitress service and unlimited free stuff off the buffet trolley, a free newspaper of your choice.... 2 meal vouchers and a car park pass ....

Seriously though - it isnt really worth it.... you are right Clara

Can I just say that the company pays for my travel - if I had to pay out of my pocket - I would organise a conf call or a video link to the meeting instead.... :lol::lol:

Can I just say that the company pays for my travel - if I had to pay out of my pocket - I would organise a conf call or a video link to the meeting instead.... :lol::lol:

Blimey, I'd say I'd prefer to travel 2nd class and could they pay me the difference!

I end up having to go to London in a few times at a certain time of year. &* can be sent anywhere at drop of hat sometimes. Company policy to send everyone 1st class over 100 miles. It's fab but to be fair I don't have to be giving my spare time over to travel & I do whack the laptop on.

Major bonus (for me being a stalker and all) is the famous people. I've met Howard Marks and sat next Wes Brown & once Richard Desmond of the eeeevil paper empire world.

However I end up borderline alchoholic. I am the only one who when the drinks trolley goes past asks for 'one for later' with a wink...:oops:

Back