Ever had one of those days...

Boardgrrrrl

...when you wonder what the f**k you're still doing on the hamster wheel and how many more times you are going to take being spoken to like an idiot before you jack it all in and get a job at the Safari Park looking after the Llamas?

(anyone who is happy in their job need not reply to this :lol:)

Why not leave?

I wrote the book on this subject trust me... :lol:

Convinced myself that I'd enjoy working in a global ad agency, managed to land a great job, hated it (ad agency bullsh!t ughhhh) and tortured myself to stay in it because of what it took to get there.

Then someone told me I was a crap anarchist - apparently I couldn't stay because it was so bad and I couldn't leave because 'what would people say in this climate?' etc.

Then I suddenly left with nothing to go to.

It felt great.

Never been happier etc.

You and so many others trust me.

It really was a dark time in my life and what's struck me since is the amount of people telling similar stories.

I'd always favour being broke and happy over sensible, comfortable and miserable.

I don't have the luxury of being able to walk out of my job.

without the paltry money I do get coming in, I am screwed in unimaginable ways, not least with that witch on my case for maintenance payments now.

Ideally, I need to retrain and find some career which I can be enthusiastic about but as I see it, it's a pretty bleak landscape out there..

economicallyviable.jpg

I think the bloke I sacked at midday today, on his first day back after having a few days off to try and save his marriage, after his wife left him for the swinging couple over the road is having one of those days.

Poor git.

I think the bloke I sacked at midday today, on his first day back after having a few days off to try and save his marriage, after his wife left him for the swinging couple over the road is having one of those days.

Poor git.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Things are definitely not that bad.

I don't usually let things get to me but this morning it was one careless comment too far :evil:

Why not leave?

I wrote the book on this subject trust me... :lol:

Convinced myself that I'd enjoy working in a global ad agency, managed to land a great job, hated it (ad agency bullsh!t ughhhh) and tortured myself to stay in it because of what it took to get there.

Then someone told me I was a crap anarchist - apparently I couldn't stay because it was so bad and I couldn't leave because 'what would people say in this climate?' etc.

Then I suddenly left with nothing to go to.

It felt great.

Never been happier etc.

Ditto (or very similar).

Did this in 2003 from a very well paid 'job for life'. To this day the in-laws still think I am bonkers!! Yet I have never been happier.

Poor git.

lol

Would make an 'interesting' tribunal:lol::lol:

Fair play to you if you have a plan B and/or can be happy when broke. I've got the former but would struggle with the latter. I like flying to nice places too much & eating the best food & drink I can find to even consider volountarily bailing out of the system.

I've seen so many talented people, good friends, lose their jobs & deal with the consequences over the past couple of years to ever take the fact that someone wants to employ me for my ability to generate £ for them, for granted. Architecture is still on it's knees and will be for another couple of years. Three leaving do's tomorrow:cry:.

lol

Would make an 'interesting' tribunal:lol::lol:

Only here for a couple of months so no rights whatsoever. Was a like an f-ing school boy - sneaking away early if I wasn't at the office, being reminded time and time again to do the basics of his job and still not doing them. He was a really crap liar too, so I feel little for him.

Liverpool fan too - if they were to go under today, that'd be the the nadir of a pretty terrible week for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto (or very similar).

Did this in 2003 from a very well paid 'job for life'. To this day the in-laws still think I am bonkers!! Yet I have never been happier.

And me. Left a very secure job at one of top UK companies in 2004 and have been freelancing for 6 years now - I work when I want to work and for who I want to work and will never go back to permanent employment. Life is too short (and we spend too much time at work) to be doing something you don't enjoy.

I like flying to nice places too much & eating the best food & drink I can find to even consider volountarily bailing out of the system.

That's where I'm at. A ridiculously huge interest only mortgage also plays a part in my not being able to bid sayonara.

And I've just opened my pay rise letter - :eek: They must sense I'm having a moment of doubt :lol:

And me. Left a very secure job at one of top UK companies in 2004 and have been freelancing for 6 years now - I work when I want to work and for who I want to work and will never go back to permanent employment. Life is too short (and we spend too much time at work) to be doing something you don't enjoy.

^^^^^^
(must stop using thos arrows) but errr , this. 8)

^^^^^^
(must stop using thos arrows) but errr , this. 8)

You've gone freelance as well haven't you Marc? I think it makes such a difference - I would HATE my job if I had to do it permanent as there is so much $HIT that comes with the territory but with freelance you just go in, do your job and go home.

^^^

right this ^ is becomig an issue but saves on bandwidth quoting everything! Yeah i couldnt deal with the day to day bullcrap that goes with my industry but i realised i do still like the craft of what we do so freelance/night shifts is perfect for me cos i cut out all the crap and politics an just do the thing that got me interested in the first place.

Back