EMLYN HUGHES RIP

stuie

FORMER RED EMLYN LOSES HIS BRAVE FIGHT

Liverpool Football Club is today in mourning following the sad death of Anfield legend Emlyn Hughes.
Hughes, 57, passed away peacefully at a Sheffield hospital in the early hours of Tuesday 9 November.

The former Liverpool captain had battled bravely for 16 months against his brain tumour.

Those lucky enough to see him play will recall his boundless enthusiasm, one hundred per cent commitment to the cause and unrelenting passion for the club whenever he had the Liver Bird close to his chest.

Signed in 1967 by Bill Shankly, he was to be one of the most inspirational signings this club ever made and in a glittering career with the Reds he won almost every honour in the game.

He will be sadly missed by all.

Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "Our deepest sympathies go out to wife Barbara, children Emma and Emlyn junior, and the rest of the family at this sad time."

Liverpool Football Club will be holding a one minute silence in honour of Emlyn before Wednesday's Carling Cup tie against Middlesbrough at Anfield.

That is sad :(

I know/knew 2 people very well who developed brain tumours.

One died a couple of years ago and the other is still with us, hopefully for a lot, lot longer.

Judging by the number of replies to this news, am i correct in assuming he wasn't that popular?

I wouldn't really know cos as you're probably well aware, i'm not a big footie fan.

Crazy Horse is still a legend in my eyes.....I salute you fella. Not the best thing to post your first post in ions either..... :(

BBS said:
Although its sad for his family, I really disliked him.

Knew him personally did you ? My Mum knew him very well in the mid seventies (She used to work at LFC) and he was one of the nicest people you would ever meet! So if you didn't know him personally I'd keep your futile immature opinions to yourself.

The man was a legend who captained LFC to back to back European cups.
Please show a bit more respect!

R.I.P Crazy horse YNWA :(

Easy there! Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I didn't know him either but he seemed like a nice guy when ever I saw him on Q of S.

weloveliam@space said:
BBS said:

Knew him personally did you ? My Mum knew him very well in the mid seventies (She used to work at LFC) and he was one of the nicest people you would ever meet! So if you didn't know him personally I'd keep your futile immature opinions to yourself.

Dear oh dear, much as it may pain you, my opinions are as equally valid as your's and your dear old mothers. I'm sure he was lovely to her as she dished the tea out to him at half time all those years ago, but I have actually met him personally, although it was several years ago, and I found his saccharine scouse humour and overblown opinion of himself thoroughly irritating. I'm sorry if you disagree.

What he led Liverpool football club to is neither here nor there to me either, I'm afraid.

:rolleyes:

weloveliam@space said:
BBS said:

sorry to upset you, but I had no time for the guy either, so I won't be losing any sleep.

He once wrote an article in the Mirror titled "Why I Want To See Leeds United Ripped Apart", which was just one public outburst showing his hatred for LUFC.

If he wanted the country to remember his undoubted skill and passion for the game, he should have kept his mouth shut. Harsh but true.
Legend? Very possibly. 100% nice guy? I have my doubts.

Saying that, you must feel for his family, but other than that, i'm not bothered.

Stu Hirst said:
He once wrote an article in the Mirror titled "Why I Want To See Leeds United Ripped Apart", which was just one public outburst showing his hatred for LUFC.

Woah there! I didn't know that! Tarnishes my memories a touch.

BBS said:
weloveliam@space said:
BBS said:

Dear oh dear, much as it may pain you, my opinions are as equally valid as your's and your dear old mothers. I'm sure he was lovely to her as she dished the tea out to him at half time all those years ago, but I have actually met him personally, although it was several years ago, and I found his saccharine scouse humour and overblown opinion of himself thoroughly irritating. I'm sorry if you disagree.

What he led Liverpool football club to is neither here nor there to me either, I'm afraid.

:rolleyes:

Ok I might have got a bit ott before, but my 'dear old mum' knew him very well. And No she wasn't the tea lady. It just irritates me that when someone passes people are very quick (he'd only been dead a few hours)
to slag/slate whatever you want.

And I also met him on a couple of occasions and found him to be very pleasant, funny and a pleasure to be around (all be it a couple of hours).
But then I am a scouser!

Well i support LFC so i am obviously pretty sad. My view is that if you don't like him...don't post anything....simple really.

I agree.... nobody on here knew him personally, because you met him once or read something he wrote in the paper, doesn't mean you know whether he was a nice person or not.

I never really knew much about him, but I think the fact that someone has died after battling with a brain tumour deserves a bit of respect whatever he done in his life. :(

Drew said:
Judging by the number of replies to this news, am i correct in assuming he wasn't that popular?

I wouldn't really know cos as you're probably well aware, i'm not a big footie fan.

I posted in reply to Drew's thread asking about his popularity, I wasn't disrespectful or rude, just stated my opinion. The fact that somebody is dead doesn't mean you shouldn't be truthful about how you felt about them.

gingerfreak said:
Stu Hirst said:

Woah there! I didn't know that! Tarnishes my memories a touch.

Leeds United being ripped apart, the man must be a legend ;) Shame another good football man has passed away :(

Back