Election Rigging in Russia

That's nothing. The ruling party, United Russia, still barely got 50% in Moscow, where I think that was filmed. Evidence is that in some precincts, when they realized they hadn't stuffed the ballot boxes enough, they just started falsifying results :lol: One precinct chairman (like the guy in that film) told the AP that he guessed the party actually got around 25% of the vote in the city.

In some regions down south, like Chechnya, United Russia got over 90-99 percent of the vote with 90-95% turnout :lol:

People are pissed off, of course. There will be a few demonstrations. But I doubt this is going to get especially "turbulent"

That's nothing. The ruling party, United Russia, still barely got 50% in Moscow, where I think that was filmed. Evidence is that in some precincts, when they realized they hadn't stuffed the ballot boxes enough, they just started falsifying results :lol: One precinct chairman (like the guy in that film) told the AP that he guessed the party actually got around 25% of the vote in the city.

In some regions down south, like Chechnya, United Russia got over 90-99 percent of the vote with 90-95% turnout :lol:

People are pissed off, of course. There will be a few demonstrations. But I doubt this is going to get especially "turbulent"

Always good to get an independent perspective of whats happening. News wires over here are showing above clip and stating it could be a problem as Gorbachev has called for a re-run

There was one big protest of around 5000 people on Monday. That went well, except at the end when a few hundred tried to turn it into a march (beyond their permit) and there were arrests.

There was an unsanctioned protest on Tuesday. A couple hundred arrested. Not clear how many showed up because of the layout of the location and the presence of hundreds of pro-government youth who decided to rally in the same spot.

There will be a big sanctioned rally this Saturday. That's the one to watch. 30000 signed up on Facebook and thousands more on its Russian competitor VKontakte. And parallel demonstrations in cities across the country.

What Gorby says carries very little weight around here.

Back