> Dorado Live Shows @ Santos 2022

This summer's fourth event out of six of my beloved Dorado Live Shows brought another much-needed dose of live music...

Omar Alcaide is a young multi-instrumentalist musician, producer and composer from Ibiza based in Madrid. He presented his first album Equxtorial, released two months ago. Although for one song he invited Ibizan trumpeter Pere Navarro (another fine example of local talent doing great things outside the island) the rest of the time it was him alone on stage. A shame he didn't bring along more musicians as he did last March in Can Ventosa but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

León Benavente is a quartet from Madrid that already played on the island twice. In 2014 the association Xiringuito a Groenlàndia brought them to El Sitio in San Antonio and two years later they played at the Sueños de Libertad festival. The band consists of Abraham Boba (vocals and keyboards), Luis Rodríguez (guitar), Eduardo Baos (bass and keyboards) and César Verdú (drums). It's difficult to define them but I liked how F. de Lama described their sound as a mix between 80s synths and the brutalism of Swans (seeing their name on an opinion article in the Diario was class!). They're touring with their fourth album Era (2022) from which we heard songs like "Líbrame del mal", "Di no a la nostalgia", "Viejos rockeros viejos", "Canciones para no dormir" or "Te comes mi corazón", without forgetting classics of their repertoire like "Amo", "Gloria" or "Ayer salí". Hypnotic rhythms, interesting lyrics and, much more noticeable live, a beast of a singer... top show!

21.jpg

Later Abraham went behind the decks at a sold out Rock Nights...

Depedro and Héctor Roldán (instead of Julia Nar as originally announced, who already opened for Quique González) will be gracing Santos' stage this week...

22.jpg

Apart from reminding us that this will be Santos' last year, last night in his speech before the main artist Diego Calvo revealed that next year Dorado Live Shows will move to the parking behind the Paradiso hotel in Cala de Bou (apparently with cappacity for more than 1000 people), where this October some of the concerts of the Sonorama festival will take place. Sadly I'll have to miss the festival as I'll be away that weekend and won't be able to see how it's like until next summer...

I just wanted to let you know that even though I haven’t commented on these, I love reading and watching these ever since we stayed at Santos last year. Love the Hotel and these reviews are a little bit like a small homecoming. Thank you!! 😊

One of the busiest (and hottest!) events ever at Santos...

Hector Roldán is an artist from Valencia based in Ibiza. In 2012 he gained some notoriety after appearing at La Voz, the Spanish version of The Voice. The set included some of his own songs and plenty of covers, for example Black Keys, Radiohead, Chris Isaak, The Animals, Sinéad O'Connor and a Depeche Mode medley to finish. To be honest, I never heard of him before but with that great voice he has I hope to catch him live again.

23.jpg

The singer, songwriter and guitarist Jairo Zavala aka Depedro has played many times on the island, including El Sitio (2014), the Sueños de Libertad festival (2017), Las Dalias (2019) plus others I can't remember now. Depedro's self-titled debut album arrived in 2008 with the help of Joey Burns and John Convertino from Calexico. Since then they have collaborated on each other's records a few times, with the Madrid native even becoming a member of the American band. His latest studio album Máquina de piedad, eighth in his career, came out last year. Without his band and only accompanied by a guitar but with the warm support of his family, he delivered his upbeat music (a blend of folk, flamenco, rock, etc) and vitalistic lyrics to an enthusiastic audience including songs like "Hombre bueno", "Nubes de papel", "Noche oscura", "Déjalo ir", "Te sigo soñando", "Panamericana" or "Comanche". Argentinian drummer and percussionist Martin Bruhn joined him on the cajon drum on the songs "El pescador", "Mañanita" and "Llorona".

24.jpg

Blaine Harrison from the Mystery Jets (who was guest dj at Pikes later) was in attendance.

And the last one at Santos... I'm going to miss this venue!

The Metrallas are the main rockabilly band on the island nowadays and it features the ex-The Frigolos members Ricky Lee (vocals and guitar) and Stefano Serra (drums), joined in this new adventure that started last year by Rafa Bonet (bass), another experienced local musician. The trio is one of the most active bands on the island but I never get tired of seeing them live. After starting with a surf song, their covers set went from the first rockabilly of the 50s to the revival of the 80s ("I don't worry about it" by The Meteors, "Rock this town" by Stray Cats, etc) and even 90s ("Bales of cocaine" by Reverend Horton Heat). Chuck Berry's "30 days" was probably my favourite moment. Ultimately, songs that prompt you to dance.

26.jpg

Inbetween bands, they handed over a check to Proyecto Juntos' founder Carlos Ramón for 3.148€ destined to the initiative El descanso del Guerrero, that helps families who have children that have to stay in the hospital for prolonged periods of time.

Like Shinova and Arde Bogotá (who played at the opening of Dorado Live Shows in May), Ginebras also played at the Sonorama Ribera goes to Ibiza festival last year and, as I mentioned in my review, caused a very good impression. The indie-pop group was founded in 2019 in Madrid and so far has released an EP (Dame 10:36 minutos, 2019) and an album (Ya dormiré cuando me muera, 2020). Magüi (vocals and guitar), Sandra (guitar), Raquel (bass) and Juls (drums) have achieved success thanks to their everyday life lyrics, full of humor or positivity. The queer girl gang not only played most of the songs from their two releases but also gave us a taste of their new material, with "Alex Turner" (the first single of their upcoming second album) and "Ansiedad" (played live for the very first time). Special mention to "Metro de Madrid informa" dedicated to the LGTBI collective. Difficult to find a better band to bid a farewell to that hotel than this crazy lot.

Setlist:
1 Crystal Fighters
2 Todas mis ex tienen novio
3 Vintage
4 6 AM
5 La ciudad huele a sudor
6 Chico pum
7 Alex Turner
8 Filtro Valencia
9 Con altura (Rosalia cover)
10 Metro de Madrid informa
11 Ansiedad
12 Cosas moradas
13 Paco y Carmela
14 La típica canción

27.jpg

Dorado Live Shows wrapped up its 7th season on a high note. Excited to find out what they have in store for us next year at the new location...

In related news...

ROCK NIGHTS announces their annual bonus track party on Friday 7th of October at Pikes hotel! This summer all parties were at full capacity, and we want to send the season off with a bang.

On this occasion instead of being the aftershow of Dorado Live Shows as it has been for the entire summer, it will be the after party of Sonorama Festival that will take place on the 6th, 7th and 8th of October at Venice Bay, the new events space that Concept Hotel Group has created between Paradiso and Grand Paradiso hotels.

For this surprise closing of ROCK NIGHTS at Pikes, we’ll have dj sets from The Parrots, Colin Peters, Bandoleros, Lola Von Dage & Goitisolo and Simøne. You can’t miss Lola Von Dage’s karaoke in the bathtub and Paul’s tattoo corner on the Sunset Terrace.

Please arrive before 01:00 to guarantee entry with free guest list

**Entry strictly for 25 years and up
**Please share taxis, limited parking.
**Arrive before midnight to guarantee free entry with guest list.
**No flip flops allowed as we had several accidents.

GUEST LIST ONLY

RN_07_10_Post-.gif

Back