Does the Torre del Mar hotel have a historic watch tower in its pool?

tclubber

Hello,

I am just curious. I stayed a few times at the Torre del Mar hotel over the years. They have a historic-looking watch tower in the middle of the hotel pool. I always assumed the tower was a newly built decoration with no historical value.

Yet the hotel website talks about an 18th century watch tower on its premises:
The “infinite” view of famous Playa d’en Bossa beach, the emblematic 18th century tower arising out of the water, the water hammocks, and the turquoise colour of the water made Hotel Torre del Mar’s pool one of the most photographed places in the establishment.

So is it a historic watch tower, or not?

Edit: This 18th century map of Ibiza shows a tower called "Torreon del Mar". But on the map, the tower is located on the tip of the Sa Penya district of Ibiza Town, and not in PdB, where the hotel stands today...

Last edited:
As far as I know, it's genuine...
scratchchin.gif

This 18th century map of Ibiza shows a tower called "Torreon del Mar". But on the map, the tower is located on the tip of the Sa Penya district of Ibiza Town
That's a different kind of tower...

416357579_b8491d42a0.jpg

301237282_4aab03cef1.jpg

flickr
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

PdIyF

... you made me doubt for a minute but yes, it's genuine. Taken from an article published by C.A.T. on Diario de Ibiza and also available in her blog:

"Hace un siglo, entre es Viver y Platja d´en Bossa, se adentraba en el mar un cabo en el que se erigía un molino de viento y en el que destacaba una pequeña rada al sur en la que hallaban refugio los patrones de las barcas de vela y remos que ya entonces solían realizar el trayecto entre Ibiza y Formentera. Hoy la torre del molino está integrada en la piscina del hotel Torre del Mar"

So it was the tower of a windmill, not a watchtower... and by the way, in that link you posted they refer to it as a tower not a watchtower! ;)

If you want to find more info about it, you must write on google the name of the area too: Sa Punta de Baix.

46410883_a3bb364960.jpg

flickr

Nice try, but this is pre-covid :p

Although the hotel seems to be open - its website shows availability...

Ibiza Spotlight Weekly News spreads incorrect information claiming it is a defense tower:

This spectacular lagoon is the pool at Torre Del Mar, which is located and the end of Playa den Bossa. The superior four-star hotel and hydrotherapy spa has been owned by the same family throughout the last three generations and has been totally renovated twice.

The only original part to remain is the defence tower in the middle of the pool. Make sure you look out for it the next time you are about to land in Ibiza at night.

Back