does anyone send their kids to school in Santa Eularia

rewdan

Hi, we are thinking of moving to Santa Eularia and sending our kids to school. Many of my questions have already been answered on another thread, I was wondering if anyone sends their children to school in Sant Eularia and has first hand information on the schools and how your children fitted in etc.
Any info would be great. My kids are 6 and 3.

I know it's an old thread, but just adding personal experience on here that might help someone in the future.

Our first choice was Arabi, originally had space(s), then they didn't, finally our little boy (aged 7) started San Ciriaco a few weeks back. The first day wifey or myself walked him to school and spent the whole day fretting about how he would get on. He bounded out of school with a skip and jump full of beans. I honestly think he is happier in school now than he was back in the UK. Has made lots of new buddies, loves getting on the school bus everyday and is generally a very happy little boy.

San Ciriaco is much older than Arabi, but has a lovely vibe when looking around. By next April when the application for places starts again, he will probably not want to move to Arabi if current high spirits are a guide.

good to hear that he has settled in, our move is back on the cards for next summer and the kids happiness is very important to any parent. I am imagining tantrums and stuff but maybe it isn't that hard on them at that age and they just get on with it and make new friends.

I would be interested in any other tales you have about the transition to Ibiza, other than those already posted which I have followed, just general things like how life is going, the attitude to a newbe working (if you are working that is, you could have retired!). And I know it's still early days but do you think you did the right thing moving out there. That kind of stuff.

I hope you do and it's all going well.

While we didn't move from the UK to Ibiza (moved from Mainland Spain to Ibiza), we were newbies working here and have to say for a very small community (we live in Es Cana), we've been accepted like "members of the family"!! I was surprised because in Benidorm where we originated from, it was very hard to be accepted and people still (after 10 years) looked down their noses at you, or talked to you begrudgingly..... But we've been here since the end of March and were included in everything and people here made an effort to include us in most things (English and Spanish people)..... :)

Our son was (obviously) already at a Spanish state school on the mainland and so it wasn't "that" much of an upheaval to go to a Spanish state school here, but he's only 4 so it meant leaving friends he'd made and things he was familiar with to go to somewhere completely new..... and he's totally embraced it and loves it... He seems to like this school, teachers and children better than his old school!! Children are very adaptable and usually are the ones who fit in quicker than us oldies..... ;):)

good to hear that he has settled in, our move is back on the cards for next summer and the kids happiness is very important to any parent. I am imagining tantrums and stuff but maybe it isn't that hard on them at that age and they just get on with it and make new friends.

I would be interested in any other tales you have about the transition to Ibiza, other than those already posted which I have followed, just general things like how life is going, the attitude to a newbe working (if you are working that is, you could have retired!). And I know it's still early days but do you think you did the right thing moving out there. That kind of stuff.

I hope you do and it's all going well.

If your move is back on, the one thing I would say above everything else is to get the schooling sorted out during the start of the application process in April. You may have seen on the news (or not), demonstrations by pupils in Spain and Ibiza regarding education cuts. It seems much harder to get two places in the same school right now, so the sooner you get into the system the better. If it's possible (someone else can hopefully answer this?) I would get the children into the education system with all paperwork done and the t's crossed, i's dotted etc ready to make you applications for chosen schools.

Moving to Ibiza was never going to be a problem for me, the island would need to sink before I saw a downside to being here! A few weeks before we left the UK, wifey started having some real shaky last minute nerves wondering if we had made a big mistake, to the extent that if I had wavered in the slightest she would have happily called off the move. We had a tough time for the first few weeks for many reasons, but wifey is now happy as Larry and tells me this often. The most surprising aspect for us has been how well the children have adapted, they were our main concern which seems bizzare now! Since being here we have had the in-laws to stay, a friends wedding with near 100 guests from our hometown, the brother in law and my sister. Not once when anyone left did the children shed a single tear as I'm sure they would have done if homesick in anyway. Whilst out in Santa Eu early Saturday evening shopping my little boy saw two friends from school, one Spanish, one German, he was in clover:D As lisa says, we feel accepted as part and parcel of where we are now, we are going to really get stuck into being more fluent with Spanish, this is our main failure not being near fluent yet. We lived in Jersey for three years+ and felt the whole time like unwanted outsiders, stark contrast to Ibiza!

In summary, I could not recommend taking the plunge and moving over highly enough, you have a head start in owning your own place and knowing the area inside out. What is the absolute worst that could happen? Is a question I asked wifey many times which she did find useful to put things into perspective.

Thanks both of you, just makes me want to move there now and get on with it. But we have decided to leave it until the summer to let my little girl go through her first year of school, also some work commitments would get in the way.

Sounds like you have both integrated really well and good luck with learning Spanish, it will be first on my to do list.

WeluvIbiza, thanks for the tip on the schools situation, if we are still planning the move in April (which I hope) then a visit to the island is on the cards to organize the schooling.
And your right, what have we got to loose, we would be keeping property in the Uk so could move back at anytime, and I bet we would see more of our families and friends than we do now when we are too busy or too knackered to make the effort.

Hasta amigos :D

If you start the education process early April, then depending on when the Easter holidays fall, your child(ren) should be able to start whichever school they've been allocated after the hols....

We arrived at the end of March and started the paperwork etc for school straight away, because we were advised that our son would be able to start after the Easter hols, otherwise we'd have to wait til September for him to start school (so that he wasn't starting in the middle of a term)... They run the terms in 3 trimesters, September to Christmas Hols, January to Easter Hols and April til summer hols. So your best bet is to try to get him/her enrolled just before they break up for a holiday, then he/she can start once they go back for the next Trimester. The education office in Ibiza town would be able to advise you more... :)

Good luck and go for it! ;)

Back