Do I or Don't I?

jamesthemonkeh

I am desperate to go to Ibiza, I can just about afford a few days there, but none of my friends are up for it now this year - do I go by myself, or save my money and do something else?

A summer without Ibiza, and especially without Cocoon in Ibiza doesn't seem right, but 3 hours by myself on a dancefloor is enough for me...should I attempt a whole holiday or not?

Has anyone gone by themselves before?

I am desperate to go to Ibiza, I can just about afford a few days there, but none of my friends are up for it now this year - do I go by myself, or save my money and do something else?

A summer without Ibiza, and especially without Cocoon in Ibiza doesn't seem right, but 3 hours by myself on a dancefloor is enough for me...should I attempt a whole holiday or not?

I have a flight for sale... one of my friends has dropped out.

Departs this Thursday night and comes back Tuesday evening.

The other girl Im going with is also from Reading ;)

jamesthemonkeh! long time no read - I think you may have been the first person I ever read on a messageboard way back in 2004 - are you still obsessed with minimal? I digress. To get the most out of travelling alone you need to be sure in yourself, confident, extrovert and quite open to new people otherwise it will be very frustrating. It prob also helps if you don't look too desperate, and don't give off napoleon dynamite vibes. You're best off trying to get in with some people on the internet first. One of my colleagues has contacts all over the planet c/o couchsurfing and she's found that really useful when she doesn't know anyone. Having travelled alone in the past, around Canada, France, Spain and elsewhere, I found trains and hostels the best places to make contacts but doing that in busy holiday resorts is harder when people are already set up with their mates from home, who may be wary of inviting 'randoms' back, for security reasons; but if you've nothing else on, then sod it, just go for it.

people ask this every year and the only response anyone gets is "YES"! Unless your mental I'd be inclined to offer the same advice.Do it!

I've gone on my own several times and probably will do again. At first I was concerned because I had been travelling a lot on my own but Ibiza really isn't 'travelling' but I always meet people.

You can do what you want, leave when you want, go out when you out, which is good for me, because I like to go out almost every night and get up and travel around the island during the day.

It's a little more expensive due to hotel costs or hiring a car by myself, but have never regretted it.

I've met a lot of people off here and randoms from the island too.

You'll regret it more if you're sitting at home thinking, "I could be at Space/Amnesia/somewhere warm right now!"

Hi James,

Do it. Although I bet you can convince Khrissy to go as well!

i go on my own lots too - off to palma again solo in a few weeks and as i'm totally happy in my own company, not the slightest bit interested in hooking up with anyone. being solo makes life so much easier and i have exactly the time i want.

Mate, If I was in your position id be there in a flash, as it happens I cant this year as my wife wants to go somewhere different to relax :spank:

Like Meryl says, there will be loads of likeminded people there, and quite a few off here (Johnny Morbyd would gladly meet for a beer i'm sure). But then when you do want time to yourself youve got the option as you dont have to do what a partner or friend wants.

It's going ot be a long winter, and im sure youll regret it if you dont, esp when you read reports of the closings ;)

wtf :!: since when are you single :?: :twisted:

Innit.

El missus tends to do one to the likes of Mongolia & Syria.

Interesting, but she really does not want me walking behind fing and jeffing about 'wow another temple'. So she go with sister.

Leaving me a stack of chips to play with, some go on Ibiza. Some go on me doing one somewere interesting for a weekend. Last weekend Copenhagen, great place, all on my lonesome. I love the sense of freedom you get as a lone traveller.

In summary just do it. PM me if it happens Wed - Fri as we will be there 8)

I forgot that I posted this. I didn't go in the end, thankfully as it turned out that I needed the money. Sad but I survived. And Cocoon is at fabric on Saturday :)

jamesthemonkeh! long time no read - I think you may have been the first person I ever read on a messageboard way back in 2004 - are you still obsessed with minimal? I digress. To get the most out of travelling alone you need to be sure in yourself, confident, extrovert and quite open to new people otherwise it will be very frustrating. It prob also helps if you don't look too desperate, and don't give off napoleon dynamite vibes. You're best off trying to get in with some people on the internet first. One of my colleagues has contacts all over the planet c/o couchsurfing and she's found that really useful when she doesn't know anyone. Having travelled alone in the past, around Canada, France, Spain and elsewhere, I found trains and hostels the best places to make contacts but doing that in busy holiday resorts is harder when people are already set up with their mates from home, who may be wary of inviting 'randoms' back, for security reasons; but if you've nothing else on, then sod it, just go for it.

I prefer house to minimal now! But I still like minimal...and techno...and disco. Yourself?

Back