dj shadow

Wtf? No idea what this story is about, really, but saw him in Glasgow last year and it was a great show (albeit more as a gig). As a fan of electronic music, I'm quite open-minded as to what can be played in a club...

to be honest, its the booker for that club that needs his arse kicked by the management, dj shadow isn't going to be playing any up tempo house music or some r&b friendly dance tunes (as im guessing the club was looking for).

shadow should take his money and leave it a that.

just noticed on facebook, people saying this is the same club that kicked off dennis ferrer for not playing to their tastes either....

likewise. too many of stories like this coming out of there. Mark Farina, Magda, Dennis Ferrer and now DJ Shadow. I'm sure there are probably more to add to that list.

Although with each one you have to ask whether they/their agents are unaware of the previous incidents? Bit much to take the booking and thus encourage your fans to pay for a ticket, knowing you might get booted off but still get your fee.

/assumptions

The stories of Miami in the 90s sounded amazing. Now it sounds like its obsessed with VIP, gash music etc. Oh wait a minute....

yeah i`ve to Miami 98,99 and 2000 and was great, went back in 2008 and its complete co*k. Groovejet and Shadow Lounge were long gone and now its all $hite you see when the Winter Pool Conference is on.. I have friends coming home tonight for xmas that live there since 1997.They run the Aquabooty/dhm miami partys@ electric pickle..

IMHO, (from a business perspective) I might of done the same thing as Mansion on the night.

I am going guess these %s but,
if you have a big club on a busy night,
if 20 or 30% of the people who are in there are in for a DJ and 70 or 80% of the people are in there for a good night and don't know or care who the DJ is.

If that DJ is upsetting 70 or 80% of your Local Regular customers,
and
the 20 or 30% who has came in for the DJ you have never seen before or will ever see again.

I too would kick him off the decks, as he is hurting your business.

---

I blame the DJ and the Booker for not been clear on what was to be achieved in the set.

The DJ can do several different styles of sets ranging from a "artistic showpiece" through to a crowd pleasing "anthems set"

In this case I think the DJ did not look at the club as a whole (not just the dance floor) and he played a more of a "artistic showpiece"

I think the person who booked him should of been very clear with his brief on that was expected of the DJ set
and
I think he should of known a little bit more of who he was booking.

IMHO, (from a business perspective) I might of done the same thing as Mansion on the night.

I am going guess these %s but,
if you have a big club on a busy night,
if 20 or 30% of the people who are in there are in for a DJ and 70 or 80% of the people are in there for a good night and don't know or care who the DJ is.

If that DJ is upsetting 70 or 80% of your Local Regular customers,
and
the 20 or 30% who has came in for the DJ you have never seen before or will ever see again.

I too would kick him off the decks, as he is hurting your business.

---

I blame the DJ and the Booker for not been clear on what was to be achieved in the set.

The DJ can do several different styles of sets ranging from a "artistic showpiece" through to a crowd pleasing "anthems set"

In this case I think the DJ did not look at the club as a whole (not just the dance floor) and he played a more of a "artistic showpiece"

I think the person who booked him should of been very clear with his brief on that was expected of the DJ set
and
I think he should of known a little bit more of who he was booking.

No blame goes to the DJ - Shadow plays his style an should be booked to play his style. But it's right to kick him off if the management think its not right for the crowd, regardless of who is to blame.

And personally - DJ Shadow isn't my style and it certainly isn't "futuristic" - its just too niche and shouldn't have been booked to this high heeled, pointy shoed, VIP nonsense crap house. They should stick to Guetta or Alesso at best and stop trying to be 'cool'.

No blame goes to the DJ - Shadow plays his style an should be booked to play his style. But it's right to kick him off if the management think its not right for the crowd, regardless of who is to blame.

And personally - DJ Shadow isn't my style and it certainly isn't "futuristic" - its just too niche and shouldn't have been booked to this high heeled, pointy shoed, VIP nonsense crap house. They should stick to Guetta or Alesso at best and stop trying to be 'cool'.

Yep,
Well said Richie!

Back