Decriminalise drugs, inquiry by cross-party peers says

TM78

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21004715

The possession and use of all illegal drugs should be decriminalised, a cross-party group of peers has said.
The least harmful should be regulated and sold in licensed shops, with labels detailing risks, the group concluded.
The panel of nine peers said criminal sanctions did not combat drug addiction, and only marginalised users.
A recent call by MPs for a royal commission on drug decriminalisation was rejected by the prime minister, who said current policy was working.
The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Drug Policy Reform - comprising two Conservatives, two Labour peers, one Liberal Democrat and four crossbenchers - took evidence from 31 experts and organisations, including the Association of Chief Police Officers and the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs.
While the supply of the most dangerous substances should remain banned, users caught with a small quantity of any drug should not be penalised, it said.
"The Misuse of Drugs Act is counter-productive in attempting to reduce drug addiction and other drug harms to young people," said group chairwoman Baroness Meacher.
The 1971 act was in desperate need of reform, the group said.
'Relatively safe' "What we're saying is there are drugs a great deal safer than alcohol and tobacco," Baroness Meacher told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Citing "legal highs" available as substitutes for ecstasy, she said: "If those much safer drugs were provided - say, in a chemist, very carefully labelled - at least you'd know what was in it.
"At the moment 60 million ecstasy tablets are sold every year to young people, all through criminal gangs and the illegal dealers.
"What we're saying is if young people are going to buy these things, is it not better that they know exactly what is in them? They will not be contaminated because they will be provided through legal channels. And the young people will in fact be relatively safe."
In support of decriminalising the use of all drugs, the report made reference to the model in Portugal, where there has been a fall in the number of young addicts under a form of decriminalisation.
The group said: "Some young people will always want to experiment and they are at real risk if they can only buy the less harmful drugs from the same dealers who are trying to push the most harmful ones.

Good to see some people are starting to come to their senses and there really does seem a growing movement against prohibition, but will those actually in charge change their minds?

Btw, I believe The House I Live In (acclaimed documentary about the war on drugs) is on BBC4 tonight. :)

Good to see some people are starting to come to their senses and there really does seem a growing movement against prohibition, but will those actually in charge change their minds?

In stark contrast, anyone who had the misfortune of seeing tonight's installment of the One Show would have witnessed the biggest piece of scaremongering I can recall seeing in the past 5-years Re: drugs.

To sum it up in a nutshell: do not take legal highs, you will die !!! :spank: :rolleyes:

In stark contrast, anyone who had the misfortune of seeing tonight's installment of the One Show would have witnessed the biggest piece of scaremongering I can recall seeing in the past 5-years Re: drugs.

To sum it up in a nutshell: do not take legal highs, you will die !!! :spank: :rolleyes:

Didn't see it, but the whole 'legal high' situation is a mess, with a lot of those drugs being more dangerous than illegal drugs. The drug laws need a good overhaul. If you legalised cannabis and MDMA (both relatively safe, probably safer than alcohol IMO), people would stop messing around with new, untested chemicals. Speedier, dopamine style highs are trickier. I loved mephedrone, but that stuff definitely had a dark, very addictive side. Making it illegal certainly made me consider my own usage and I do feel healthier for not having had it in ages (still get cravings, though)! (Despite the reports of meph being more popular now, I don't think there's much genuine meph out there currently.)

Didn't see it, but the whole 'legal high' situation is a mess, with a lot of those drugs being more dangerous than illegal drugs. The drug laws need a good overhaul. If you legalised cannabis and MDMA (both relatively safe, probably safer than alcohol IMO), people would stop messing around with new, untested chemicals. Speedier, dopamine style highs are trickier. I loved mephedrone, but that stuff definitely had a dark, very addictive side. Making it illegal certainly made me consider my own usage and I do feel healthier for not having had it in ages (still get cravings, though)! (Despite the reports of meph being more popular now, I don't think there's much genuine meph out there currently.)
a few of my mates are still into meph, usually will mix it / alternate taking it with mdma.
as for the purity, up there with the pre-illegal stuff i'd say, but then, much like the hallowed 'mitsubishi golden era of pills, its hard to really judge / remember back with too much clarity..

a few of my mates are still into meph, usually will mix it / alternate taking it with mdma.
as for the purity, up there with the pre-illegal stuff i'd say, but then, much like the hallowed 'mitsubishi golden era of pills, its hard to really judge / remember back with too much clarity..

For maybe up to a year after the ban, I could still get good quality meph. (Remember the ban was staggered across European countries.) However, attempts since have mostly ended in disappointment. Sure, you can get some white powder sold as meph, but IMO it's never quite right - either heavily cut or a mix of other cathinones (some of which are still legal in some other European countries), which would mostly only impress people who'd had limited or no experience of pre-ban. I've done enough, er, sniffing around that I don't think it's just bad luck. People talk about Indian meph, but from what I've had of it (which isn't much), it's not quite the same. It doesn't even look the same. Pre-ban Chinese meph was like rocket fuel. Especially with time away from it, I would unmistakably know if I had it. The more dopamine associated effects (energy, horniness) don't diminish much with time anyway.

Back