damaged laptop - Help!

Olly

No longer active
someone on here might know - any ideas how I might be able to retrieve files from a laptop with a damaged screen (I stepped on it :oops: ) I have an external hard drive, but if I can't see what I'm doing then how do I access those files :?:

You should be able to get an adapter from PC world (or online) that allows you to use your hard drive as an external hard drive. So just get one of them and access them on another computer?

Infact you could buy an HDMI cable, which I think allows you to use a tv as a monitor.

Pretty much what he said, you may be able to remote access it from another computer. Think it depends whether it was set up for a network or whether you set up admin rights for it....

your laptop should have at least a VGA port on it (15 pin female) and poss a HDMI port that you can plug a standard monitor/flat screen into or HDMI device.

You might need to enable second screen once plugged in, but it's usually a Fn + 'Key' once Windows has started. (either Fn + F5, but differs between manufacturer)

Once you have the laptop running using the second screen, plug you usb drive into the usb and copy the file off that you need.

Be aware that buying a replacement screen is a lot cheaper that buying a new laptop. replacing it yourself isn't that difficult. Just take your time and make a note of where every screw/wire goes.

Back